Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
jagfox

Partick Thistle vs ICT - Saturday 14 December

Recommended Posts

Another weekend another massive game for the Jags.

Great result yesterday and our away form is actually pretty good overall.

However, Firhill has seen little up until our last couple of games. Beating Morton and the disappointing 1-1 with Alloa suggests there maybe signs of an upturn. 

It'll be a tough challenge and we'll probably need to score 2+ goals to keep all 3 points in Glasgow.

We had a great result up there at the start of McCall's tenure and he has a much better understanding of the squad now. 

Some players coming back into the squad so we certainly have the numbers hopefully they can put in a decent performance.

I'll stick my neck out and go for a 2-1 Home win. Cole and Miller with the goals in front of 2,167 hardy souls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jagfox said:

Another weekend another massive game for the Jags.

Great result yesterday and our away form is actually pretty good overall.

However, Firhill has seen little up until our last couple of games. Beating Morton and the disappointing 1-1 with Alloa suggests there maybe signs of an upturn. 

It'll be a tough challenge and we'll probably need to score 2+ goals to keep all 3 points in Glasgow.

We had a great result up there at the start of McCall's tenure and he has a much better understanding of the squad now. 

Some players coming back into the squad so we certainly have the numbers hopefully they can put in a decent performance.

I'll stick my neck out and go for a 2-1 Home win. Cole and Miller with the goals in front of 2,167 hardy souls.

2168 - I'll be there! This year my wife and I decided to spend our Christmas weekend away in Glasgow (instead of Edinburgh)! 

I fancy a home win and thinking of 3-1 or a nervy 3-2. 3 points in the bag either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, exiledjag said:

2168 - I'll be there! This year my wife and I decided to spend our Christmas weekend away in Glasgow (instead of Edinburgh)! 

I fancy a home win and thinking of 3-1 or a nervy 3-2. 3 points in the bag either way. 

C'mon, you mean your wife! :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would hope we win this, and win it well but there is always the possibility an ex-Jag will play a blinder against us. Storey was always a player that needed confidence and never had it in front of a rightly sceptical Firhill crowd. I'm pleased to see him playing well [even had the STAR MAN accolade in yesterdays Sunday Post] but I hope he reverts to last seasons form, simply playing like he's sh!tting himself when he visits this Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I would hope we win this, and win it well but there is always the possibility an ex-Jag will play a blinder against us. Storey was always a player that needed confidence and never had it in front of a rightly sceptical Firhill crowd. I'm pleased to see him playing well [even had the STAR MAN accolade in yesterdays Sunday Post] but I hope he reverts to last seasons form, simply playing like he's sh!tting himself when he visits this Saturday.

Lets hopefully file Storey under Spittal when he came back earlier in season which is right next to the Osman file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of pace could be a worry on Saturday. The ICT #17 shows a fair bit of strength to shrug of the opponent’s challenge and goes on a pacy run knocking the finish off the goalkeeper.

Maybe need to check that threat but neither right back we have is the best defensively. Would either be up to a man-marking role?

Not sure how McCall will line the team up on the day. We’ve struggled against the likes of QoS, Arbroath and Alloa at home. Getting punished on the break and struggling to break them down. 

I’d like to see Cardle supporting the #9 whoever that will be on the day. 

If available I would go with the following team:

Fox

Kakay O’Ware McGinty Penrice

Cole Bannigan

Miller Cardle Zannata

Jones

Might as well have a go from the off!

Edited by jagfox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jagfox said:

The lack of pace could be a worry on Saturday. The ICT #17 shows a fair bit of strength to shrug of the opponent’s challenge and goes on a pacy run knocking the finish off the goalkeeper.

 

That brought back memories- good, positive run followed by a terrible end product when he had done all the hard work. It just so happened that the Keeper's made a complete pig's ear of what should have been a routine save and hold.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent improvements notwithstanding (and let's  face it, even then we've struggled against the basement teams), and always wanting to be proven wrong, it's hard to see past us getting a through humping on Saturday.

Still maybe Ayr can do us a favour, and in the game a Cappielow they have to take something off each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Recent improvements notwithstanding (and let's  face it, even then we've struggled against the basement teams), and always wanting to be proven wrong, it's hard to see past us getting a through humping on Saturday.

Still maybe Ayr can do us a favour, and in the game a Cappielow they have to take something off each other.

Let's hope you are proven wrong...again. Sooner or later our home form will improve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steven Mclean the ref again (after QOS) on Sat.  We had Mike Roncone for consecutive Saturdays in November so maybe this is becoming a new monthly trend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Let's hope you are proven wrong...again. Sooner or later our home form will improve. 

Not quite sure what the 'again' is supposed to mean. 'Sooner or later' sounds like a bit 'wait and see what happens'. It could scarcely be worse, so that's probably well on the safe side as far as speculation goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Not quite sure what the 'again' is supposed to mean. 'Sooner or later' sounds like a bit 'wait and see what happens'. It could scarcely be worse, so that's probably well on the safe side as far as speculation goes.

You habitually state the worst before the game or during the game. Thus the use of the word again. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny that. Could be something to do with the fact that we  have 'habitually' failed to win 12 out of 16 league games, sometime against 'part timers'. 

So my success rate would be quite high - and even Ian McCall said he would be happy with 50% for the rest of his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Funny that. Could be something to do with the fact that we  have 'habitually' failed to win 12 out of 16 league games, sometime against 'part timers'. 

So my success rate would be quite high - and even Ian McCall said he would be happy with 50% for the rest of his career.

Excellent. We both agree you predict we will get beat most of the time.  That's not really the point is it of supporting your team? Plus you went that bit further by predicting a humping. Yes I'm sure deep down you hope we defy the odds against the mighty ICT, but it seems to me you would prefer to be proven right, just so you can come on here spouting I told you so. It's like those chumps predicting the end of the world on x day. End of world doesnt happen and they snidely...say. ah I meant next year.

Edited by dl1971
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised that we haven't tried  Harkins playing in the centre of a back 3. His lack of mobility would be hidden and we could take advantage of his reading of the game / ball skills.

To me,  he would be  steadier and less accident prone than others we have tried.

He started as a centre half so maybe it's time to use him as a sweeper.

We did it successfully with Davy Irons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly endorsing this idea but if there was a rule that you had to play Harkins then middle of a back three may well be the best option. His total lack of mobility more or less excludes him from playing anywhere else apart from at a push in a sort of wide midfield role. Even at that I couldn't see him being a preferred start in either position. I do tho' understand that in the absence of a deep lying tackling midfielder an old heid in the middle of a back three who can read a game would be extremely beneficial.

I think tho' , AlexForsythFan, you've kinda answered your own question by mentioning Davy Irons. The glaring difference being Davy was one of the fittest footballers we're likely to see. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary is one of those players I get excited about. There aren’t many who can drift(perhaps not glide like the old days)past defenders like he does.

Its a great shame that he can’t run any more. But his cameo vs. Stenny was worth the (concession)admission money.  I do think he could be used as a 20/25 minute sub when we need a spark eg nearly every home game this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

It defies logic that Caldwell was given the job in the first place. But the again, who was chairman?

ohh shoosh you sexist mysognist lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×