Partick Thistle vs ICT - Saturday 14 December

jagfox

4 hours ago, Rid Skwerr said:

Every player worked really hard today and harried ICT relentlessly, right up to the final whistle.

Wonderful energy from the whole team and they played for each other and looked much more like a coherent team than previously.

A wee mention for Foxy, who had a couple of really good stops today to keep us in the game.

To be fair Ridgers made a few big saves for them that could have seen us score even more 

Thought we played great in the 2nd half once they equalised and the weather relented. Harkins did really week as a ‘striker’ and at least gave us an out ball. His ball towards the box in the build up to the third goal was sublime, and what a finish by Zanatta. Miller ran his arse off and the guy deserves so much credit. Foxy was good, so was Saunders. Best I’ve seen Banzo in a long while. We do have a few decent players and I think Ian McCall is definitely working out our best formation.  On to next week and FTD :fan:

7 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

To be fair Ridgers made a few big saves for them that could have seen us score even more 

Agreed, Ridgers was excellent yesterday, made a string of very good saves. He and Cole were having something of a personal battle. 

Thought we were excellent yesterday. 

Strange after getting the same ref in consecutive weeks against Cuikie and the Pars, we then had MacLean last week and this week 

58 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Frustrated last night to get zilch news about the game from the BPC (british propaganda corporation) or the official site. Went to bed thinking that maybe the game had been postponed for some reason. This thread got the new day off to a perfect start!

Club twitter is pretty reliable.  Regular tweets throughout the game, also team selection about 75 minutes before kickoff.  You don't need a twitter account.  Just click the wee white birdie at the top of the club's page.

12 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Great result today ..Felt as if it was a carry on from Dumfries last week..The only comment I can make is who does Foxy not come off his line and command his area. ..If. I am sitting in the J.h.s. and seeing him rooted to the spot at corners why can't the management not see..

This is a key thing to work on.....we look very vulnerable at cross balls and fox just stands on his line.....if you look at their goal he is literally 2/3 yards from the goal line yet fox is like a statue 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

This is a key thing to work on.....we look very vulnerable at cross balls and fox just stands on his line.....if you look at their goal he is literally 2/3 yards from the goal line yet fox is like a statue 

They also had a sitter from 3 yards out 2nd half which they didn't connect properly with and Fox saved it.

Surely that has to a goalkeeper's ball?

11 hours ago, thebiglemon said:

They also had a sitter from 3 yards out 2nd half which they didn't connect properly with and Fox saved it.

Surely that has to a goalkeeper's ball?

I am not a goalkeeping expert, but it did seem to me yesterday that even during general play, quite apart from corners, free kicks etc, Fox was standing incredibly close to his line.  He was catching the ball with just a foot or so to spare. Surely the danger there is that any small backward step,  trip, slip, mishandle or partial stop,  could result in the ball being carried or squirming over the line? I can appreciate that a goalkeeper does not want to be lobbed, but I would have thought that standing a couple of yards from goal would be a more normal risk minimisation strategy. 

At HT I was depressed at both teams’ ineptitude, the game being played against a silent and gloomy backdrop. We were dreadful and I was calling for Jones and Cardle to be substituted.

No idea if McCall kicked everyone’s butt or subtlely changed system but we were brilliant 2nd half. Bannigan was back to his best and others suddenly looked like footballers. 1st goal was so quick I can’t recall how it was structured.

Caley were lucky because, as the storm raged briefly, they could suddenly deliver dangerous wind assisted crosses,  one of which resulted in a goal.

Harkins was absolutely sublime. He’s a delight to watch in these cameos.

McCall has been a mentor to several of these players. The 2 young English loanees will have benefitted hugely from his input. But Kakay should be on finishing practice this week if he’s going to be playing in that position.

Just remembered why I love football and Thistle. The weekend has been sensational. I think the atmosphere vs Dundee will be transformed.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, falklandal1 said:

Always like when we Play a team with Ridgers in goal,there is always a mistake in him and so it proved for our third.

I had a clear view of the third goal and didn't think it was a goalkeeping error. Ridgers and Zannetta got to the ball at just about the same time

Ridgers actually got fingers of both hands on the ball, and was only a split second away from securing possession, just as Zannetta got his foot on the ball. 

The ball broke unkindly for both players but just as I expected Zannetta to chip it to the far post he rolled it brilliantly into the goal. Fantastic piece of improvisation and imagination. 

If I was Ridgers and Robertson I would be asking why no defenders ran to cover the goal line? 

14 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I am not a goalkeeping expert, but it did seem to me yesterday that even during general play, quite apart from corners, free kicks etc, Fox was standing incredibly close to his line.  He was catching the ball with just a foot or so to spare. Surely the danger there is that any small backward step,  trip, slip, mishandle or partial stop,  could result in the ball being carried or squirming over the line? I can appreciate that a goalkeeper does not want to be lobbed, but I would have thought that standing a couple of yards from goal would be a more normal risk minimisation strategy. 

We have a goalkeeping expert in Kenny Arthur, if we can see this flaw in the goalkeeping then surely so can he?

I have said it before, but worth repeating IMO …. Billy Thomson could be available as a GK coach, would that not be a option?

16 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

At HT I was depressed at both teams’ ineptitude, the game being played against a silent and gloomy backdrop. We were dreadful and I was calling for Jones and Cardle to be substituted.

No idea if McCall kicked everyone’s butt or subtlely changed system but we were brilliant 2nd half. Bannigan was back to his best and others suddenly looked like footballers. 1st goal was so quick I can’t recall how it was structured.

Caley were lucky because, as the storm raged briefly, they could suddenly deliver dangerous wind assisted crosses,  one of which resulted in a goal.

Harkins was absolutely sublime. He’s a delight to watch in these cameos.

McCall has been a mentor to several of these players. The 2 young English loanees will have benefitted hugely from his input. But Kakay should be on finishing practice this week if he’s going to be playing in that position.

Just remembered why I love football and Thistle. The weekend has been sensational. I think the atmosphere vs Dundee will be transformed.

The crowd was incredibly quiet in the 1st half. I also thought that the teams could have played all day and not score.