Why Do I Bother?

sandbank boy

I’m in the the City of Winchester this evening. I held open the door for a couple who were leaving the same accommodation into which I was entering. On hearing his accent I said “ Where is home for you”?
Him “Clydebank you?”

Me “Maryhill”

Him “ Celtic”?
Me “No”

Him “ F Off”

Him “Thistle”?

Me “Yep”

Him “ F Off”

In less than a month our calendar will show the year 2020, not for some methinks. As I type this I feel embarrassed and sick.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sandbank boy said:

I’m in the the City of Winchester this evening. I held open the door for a couple who were leaving the same accommodation into which I was entering. On hearing his accent I said “ Where is home for you”?
Him “Clydebank you?”

Me “Maryhill”

Him “ Celtic”?
Me “No”

Him “ F Off”

Him “Thistle”?

Me “Yep”

Him “ F Off”

In less than a month our calendar will show the year 2020, not for some methinks. As I type this I feel embarrassed and sick.

What a charmer. :angry2: Unfortunately, for to many things  will never change.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Big Col said:

I go down south on business quite a bit and when I reveal I’m a Thistle fan, it’s either “But who do you really support?” Or “Who do you support when Rangers play Celtic?”. 

Very sad.

Most frustrating thing on earth, whenever I’m on holiday in a foreign country I hear the same thing. At least you can forgive they’re from a different country/language, still infuriates me though whenever I hear “but who would you support when bla bla bla play” nobody :angry2:

Sometimes whilst abroad it feels like missionary work with the Jags when asked if it’s blue or green you support.  I do enjoy explaining to those interested the evils of that pair and why supporting the Jags is the way to go.  If one person in the world takes note and maybe even keeps eye out for Thistle results then it’s a job well done.  :fan:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paulo said:

Let it bounce off you in the full knowledge that you serve a higher purpose.  Certain joys are not available to these people.

I do try to let ‘bounce off” as you say, but sometimes , especially when you hear it 500 hundred miles south of Glasgow, not only does your heart sink and you feel embarrassed about your home city but it also screws up your day!

26 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

I do try to let ‘bounce off” as you say, but sometimes , especially when you hear it 500 hundred miles south of Glasgow, not only does your heart sink and you feel embarrassed about your home city but it also screws up your day!

that kind of thing enriches my day and elevates me to higher level of snobbery and inflated self worth.

Bring it on!

OTIG

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CotterJag said:

These are the same people that drive taxi's and ask 'is there a game on the day' when Scotland are playing.

Celtic, Rangers and other 'big time' fans wondering why we support Thistle should be met with questions asking why they don't support Bayern Munich or Barcelona.

They're pathetic.

Read this back and it sounds like some sort of snobbery against taxi drivers.

Not the case at all. A few people in my family have driven cabs. 

Young Robert and i always wore our Thistle tops whenever we went on holiday. On our last visit to Florida , one of the days we went to the Florida Mall. One of the food stalls had mugs with  various Soccer clubs on them, amongst  them were the 2 ugly sisters. The stall holder noticed our Thistle tops and also my Brother in laws Morton top. To our surprise the guy was very knowledgeable about Thistle and Morton. In fact he knew more than most Scots who didn't support Thistle or Morton would have known.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CotterJag said:

These are the same people that drive taxi's and ask 'is there a game on the day' when Scotland are playing.

Celtic, Rangers and other 'big time' fans wondering why we support Thistle should be met with questions asking why they don't support Bayern Munich or Barcelona.

They're pathetic.

There are Rangers "suppoprters" I know who when their team was in the lower leagues suddenly became big fans of Barcelona. Sad sad individuals who obviously need to be following a "successful" team to make up for the deficincies in their life.

Told this story before but worth retelling.Years ago, an American,Bobby Jones (aka The Other Bobby Jones) asked to join me and my mate  for a game of golf at Machrihanish.Halfway round we got talking about football and he asked if we had heard of a Scottish footballer called Dennis McQuade who played for Partick Thistle. We were gobsmacked when he said Dennis used to work for him,think it was a financial firm operating in the Bahamas.Dennis had obviously  created a great impression on him and we proceeded to enhance his reputation further with details of his exploits in the red and yellow.

Never thought I'd meet an American who had heard of the mighty Jags.

P.S.Bobby also visited Oban Golf Club and left a complimentary note about the clubs juniors which probably included our latest golfing phenomenon Robert McIntyre

• Like 2