Partick Thistle vs Dundee

jagfox

Just when you feel a bit of optimism.... thud! Second half really awful. Players looks jaded and a bit clueless. Doubly disappointing given Dundee were bang average.

Brings down the curtain on a horrible 2019 at Firhill. Hopefully the window sees the start of a sustained improvement.

Second bottom again and a big one at Cappielow next.

Listened to the game on the Jagzone (as I’m in hospital again!): from what I gleaned from the commentary it seemed  like a typical game in this Division. Fairly even and decided by the only player capable of injecting a touch of quality to the game. Today’s touch of class being provided by Paul McGowan. Difficult for me to make any  other comment apart obviously from lamenting the fact that we’re back in the bottom two again.

• Like 1

McGowan might have scored the goal but he wasnt a standout for me. Meekings bullied jones for the most part. wasn’t particularly impressed by Hemmings, fox made at least two brilliant saves from Dorrans. Other than zanatta zero attacking options on the bench.  If Austin is not worth ten minutes before harkins then he must be poor. Roll on the transfer window

First half was fairly level, maybe we even shaded it, but a very disappointing 2nd half. It's hard to imagine any other team in the league not scoring against Dundee. They were lying so deep especially in the last 20 mins yet we could hardly muster any sustained challenge. Dundee did little for the 3 points but still deserved them.

We were maybe unfortunate to be a goal down at half-time after a decent first half...but the second half was a bit dull - very good saves from Fox and one off the post - we didn't really look like equalising.  The core of this squad is no better than just good enough to stay clear of relegation and no matter the quality of reinforcements at the January Transfer Window, we are unlikely to make a promotion play off spot. It's another season which will pass us by.

Saunders did quite well but it was no surprise that Dundee cut through the right side of our defence easily for their goal - Williamson is not very good and Kakay who did well against Morton  at right back last time I saw him, offered little in defence or attack. Cole hit some brilliant passes...Banzo tends to dwell on the ball and play safe passes...but I suspect that the lack of options makes the task of hitting an incisive ball much more difficult. Jones looked ok but Cardle was ineffective again. I was not enthused at Miller signing for us...he is very fit for his age  but he is a bit of a pest - playing behind Penrice, then as holding midfielder, less roving in the second half but hardly in the game. 

It's difficult to see huge scope for improvement in this squad and disappointing that the Weir Academy has not produced young players who are good enough to challenge for a place in this team.

2 hours ago, stillresigned said:

Listened to the game on the Jagzone (as I’m in hospital again!): from what I gleaned from the commentary it seemed  like a typical game in this Division. Fairly even and decided by the only player capable of injecting a touch of quality to the game. Today’s touch of class being provided by Paul McGowan. Difficult for me to make any  other comment apart obviously from lamenting the fact that we’re back in the bottom two again.

Sorry to hear you are in hospital. Get well soon.

Will get home tonight just in time for Match of the Day so plenty of time to reflect. 

Thought Fox (for his saves) and the back 4 did well with Saunders the pick of the defence. 

The game I think confirmed our need for more quality in midfield and attack. I said before the game we needed to get a grip of Midfield (McGowan) and Hemmings! 

We did the latter to some extent but not the former. I thought Dundee's forward players held the ball well and brought others into play. Our front players by comparison were unable to do the same. 

I was pleased to see the players keep fighting and playing for the Jersey however it was one of those days when too many were a touch off colour. More composure needed on the ball and a bit more bravery and risk taking - like running at the Dundee defence. 

Just not our day I'm afraid. 

First half we were okay. If Cardle hits the rebound from Millers shot first time its probably a goal and the game is then ours to lose.

Second half we had too many players not quite hitting top form. Cole wanted too much time on the ball, Kakay's touch wasn't as sharp as it has been, Cardle tried but never really did anything and Jones never looked like scoring.

Best players were Fox and Saunders. Fox made 4 or 5 very decent saves and Saunders first half made a couple of great tackles. Saunders and O'Ware look a reasonably solid pairing. Williamson still gives me the fear when defending but he  has a really good cross on him when gets the chance.

Has Kenny Miller given up playing as a striker? He was everywhere but in the box today

Feel sorry for Craig Slater - similar type of player to Bannigan and Cole, doesn't have the range of passing but maybe slightly more mobile and less ponderous on the ball. I was hoping he'd get some game time - I suppose the enforced change in defence meant it wasn't an option.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Really harsh to be losing here. Miller hit the bar and we've come close a few times. To be fair, Dundee look a threat around our box, but they don't look any better than us. Still all to play for.

Over the piece I thought the  difference in the teams was the front lines.  Basically they have one and we don't.   Jones can't do the job he is asked to do and to my mind would only work as a second striker running onto layoffs from an old fashioned centre forward but since we don't play that system we're stuck.  Miller may do a job in midfield but until we can sign a proper centre forward he should be the main front man.  Without that attacks break down too easily which is why Fox was much busier than their goalie.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Biggest problem in 2nd half was that whenever Cole or Bannigan had the ball there was no one open to play it to. Ended up passing back to O’Ware or Saunders who launched it up the park.

14 hours ago, laukat said:

First half we were okay. If Cardle hits the rebound from Millers shot first time its probably a goal and the game is then ours to lose.

Second half we had too many players not quite hitting top form. Cole wanted too much time on the ball, Kakay's touch wasn't as sharp as it has been, Cardle tried but never really did anything and Jones never looked like scoring.

Best players were Fox and Saunders. Fox made 4 or 5 very decent saves and Saunders first half made a couple of great tackles. Saunders and O'Ware look a reasonably solid pairing. Williamson still gives me the fear when defending but he  has a really good cross on him when gets the chance.

Has Kenny Miller given up playing as a striker? He was everywhere but in the box today

Two different ways of reading things but the end result the same. I take the first view and hope I'm correct. We'd be heading for a deeper mess if Cole (and Bannigan) are being over ponderous not reacting to the movement of the likes of Messrs Cardle, Miller & Harkins. Indeed tho' I like him and he can be a match winner, Cardle is too often a liability to pass to, as when he loses a ball he can wrong-foot half the team. The other two not that much better.

The best way to deal with deep defending is for attacking players to create more movement to draw out defenders. I reckon we'd be deluded in believing we have those sort of players. More correctly, with the three mentioned, nowadays.

Just a point and probably in a minority of one. 

Prior to the goal McGowan and Cardle seem to have a few minor tussles for the ball, I think both won a free kick.with McGowan especially taking these skirmishes personally. It was clear Rowbottom was watching them. 

From where I was sitting Cardle appeared to want to just get on with the game but on one occasion McGowan ran over to Cardle and said something, which the latter ignored. On another occasion and behind Roebottom's back, McGowan kicked Cardle off the ball. 

Had the Assist Ref or Ref seen this should McGowan have been given a red. 

7 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Just a point and probably in a minority of one. 

Prior to the goal McGowan and Cardle seem to have a few minor tussles for the ball, I think both won a free kick.with McGowan especially taking these skirmishes personally. It was clear Rowbottom was watching them. 

From where I was sitting Cardle appeared to want to just get on with the game but on one occasion McGowan ran over to Cardle and said something, which the latter ignored. On another occasion and behind Roebottom's back, McGowan kicked Cardle off the ball. 

Had the Assist Ref or Ref seen this should McGowan have been given a red. 

Rowbotham? :lol: you’re too far away from Scotland, he retired years ago. It was Bobby Madden

• Haha 1

I saw two middling teams playing middling football …. the main difference being they had better striking options. We didn't play good outballs from defence as our forward players were far to static, which led to multiple sideways movements by our defenders and then eventually the ball launched as a sort of 'hit and hope'  Not sure why Millar tries to run midfield, he doesn't have that ballskill. Cole played well in patches, Saunders had a fine game and Fox saved us a few times.

There is the making of a team within the players on the park, McCall just needs to buy a quality defending midfield player to play between Saunders and O'Ware, but we really badly need a quality striker.

Although I can understand the referees desire to keep the game flowing rather than stop / start, there was obvious yellow card incidents he ignored, McGowan was busy 'chewing the ears of the teddy bear' for much of the first half, and he needed a card for sure.

I can say that the team played better against Dundee than they did against Arbroath so progress, in small steps, is being made.

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo
grammar