vs. Morton

Jaggernaut

42 minutes ago, twinny said:

Looked a stonewall penalty to me at the time and the highlights don't change that. Led with his elbow going up for the header and caught him with it.

Wasn't sure at the game, probably due to being down the opposite end. The highlights clearly show the ref made the right call. Cole played well but that was poor. No need to go in like that, could have cost us. 

Sadly this could all be history but a thing that's impressed me since Bannigan's return from suspension is the balance in midfield due to his partnership with Cole.  All the more impressive as due to no dedicated defensive midfielder they've had to share the ball winning duties, something which neither are particularly suited. 

We're now about to go into the transfer window where the whole object is to strengthen the squad. Not really wanting to sound negative but the loss of Cole and to a lesser extent, Kakay, has further weakened what is already a fragile squad. Hopefully those two can be re-signed otherwise even if/when we offload two or three passengers and replace them with more competent players, the squad as a whole won't necessarily be stronger. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blakey said:

Did I miss something. Are Cole and kakay leaving in January? I thought we were trying to extend their loans?

As far as I'm aware we are trying to keep them but it's up to the parent clubs. A way of looking at it is if they are deemed to be playing well their club's could be inclined to loan them out at a higher level. Fingers crossed.

6 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As far as I'm aware we are trying to keep them but it's up to the parent clubs. A way of looking at it is if they are deemed to be playing well their club's could be inclined to loan them out at a higher level. Fingers crossed.

Ah ok thanks. From what I read we are trying to keep them, and they want to stay. Hopefully we can swing it.

As an a random aside. What are the lyrics to that Gary harkins song? There was a bit about his baldy spot that made me laugh out loud yesterday. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sadly this could all be history but a thing that's impressed me since Bannigan's return from suspension is the balance in midfield due to his partnership with Cole.  All the more impressive as due to no dedicated defensive midfielder they've had to share the ball winning duties, something which neither are particularly suited. 

I reckon Kenny Miller fancies himself as a defensive midfielder... and an attacking midfielder, a centre forward, a right winger, a left back. Probably as a goalkeeper too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, thebiglemon said:

Irrelevant 

Beating Morton was crucial but it sure doesn't make us play-off contenders

Definitely signs of progress but let's stay grounded and see what next week at Alloa brings

You really cant predict in this league. Apart from Dundee Utd every other team is inconsistent.But we now seem to be more consistent in a good way. Get the home form sorted and we will be ok.

5 hours ago, jaggy said:

It was Cardle who dummied

Totally correct and apologies for spreading the initial misinformation that it was Miller. I only had the benefit of one look from not the best viewing angle. 

I think I was deceived by Miller grabbing Jones, running to salute the fans and generally taking all the credit for a goal into which his apparent input was nil (although he perhaps did draw away or occupy the attention of some defenders).

25 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Remarked at the time the Cardle dummy was kinda uncharacteristic of the player. For good or bad he always wants to play the ball. Wonder if Jones shouted?

Yes I wondered too.

Perhaps he shouted ‘dummy’ because the Morton defence also missed the ball!

We should have been 4 or 5 up at ht such was the quality of our play especially the full backs and Bannigan.  But there’s something still lacking around the edge of the box as we didn’t create many clear cut chances.

My Morton supporting pal cannot believe how good we were, claiming we’re the best team he’s seen all season.

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Yes I wondered too.

Perhaps he shouted 『dummy' because the Morton defence also missed the ball!

We should have been 4 or 5 up at ht such was the quality of our play especially the full backs and Bannigan.  But there's something still lacking around the edge of the box as we didn't create many clear cut chances.

My Morton supporting pal cannot believe how good we were, claiming we're the best team he's seen all season.

Perhaps the tight confines of Cappielow are suited to the way our players seem to practise so often, passing to avoid other players who are challenging; it certainly looked impressive at times, how our players worked the ball out of surrounding Morton players.

28 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Ffs Miller celebrates with a team meat who has just scored and apparently he's trying to take credit. Guess some people are just never going to like the guy. 

Aye the absolute seethe towards Miller on here is embarrassing, Old Firm level of intelligence!, It’s as though folk want him to fail so they can make him a scapegoat. 

• Like 1

I thought our passing was the best I'd seen from us for a few years, especially under pressure. My 8 year old nephew thought it was amazing seeing our players, particularly Kakay, having two or three opponents trying to tackle him but controlling the ball and passing like there was no pressure on him at all.

I don't agree that we could have been 4 or 5 up though, I felt we were guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net, but maybe that's because as bad as Morton were, their defence was fairly well organised and we seemed to find it tough to make clear cut scoring opportunities.

10 hours ago, twinny said:

I don't agree that we could have been 4 or 5 up though, I felt we were guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net, but maybe that's because as bad as Morton were, their defence was fairly well organised and we seemed to find it tough to make clear cut scoring opportunities.

Agree with this. Stats going into the game would suggest otherwise but I thought both defences looked more than reasonable. Both similar in so much as being weak in a full back position but coped well under pressure. Agree also that we were maybe a tad pedestrian upfront but apart from Jones there was no one offering much movement. That's not a go at Cardle & Miller and later Harkins, just realisation re their age. From what I could see of the penalty it looked in a position where a goal wasn't necessarily forthcoming, so it should be felt for confidence alone like a clean sheet.