Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
allyo

PTFC team of the decade

Recommended Posts

As we move into the 20s, a chance to look back on a decade of highs and lows for Thistle. We end the decade with the same manager that we started it with, but for the most part it's been others in charge. And obviously players have come and gone.

It's been a decade where I truly believe that we have been represented by players who will go down as legends in the club history. And also by a few numpties.

So, who'd make your starting eleven? In my view there's an eaay option to pick the 2012/2013 in full, but with 5 years in the premier league following that, there are plenty who proved at the higher level that they'd challenge for a place. Did Christie Elliott ever exceed the level of O'Donnell? Booth over ATS? Cerny or Gallagher or Fox? And what about Osman, Higginbotham, Lyle Taylor? 

Plenty to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A number will go down as legends. The obvious being Doolan and Erskine. A few still doing well. Lawless doing very well at Livi and ATS also getting games there as well. O'Donnell has had a couple of very good seasons with Kilmarnock and also breaking into the Scotland team. Lyle Taylor doing very well with Charlton in the English Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Linlithgow Jag said:

Fox

o’donnell Lindsay Balatoni ATS

higginbotham Erskine Bannigan lawless

Taylor Doolan

That’s pretty much my selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Arrrgh ! I don't want to be pedantic BUT .... The decade doesn't end until the end of 2020. There never was a year 0.

This is one of my pet hates.

Just start from 1BC- it fits then and it’s entirely arbitrary anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Linlithgow Jag said:

Fox

o’donnell Lindsay Balatoni ATS

higginbotham Erskine Bannigan lawless

Taylor Doolan

I would have Osman in for Higgy, who can come off the bench- better balance for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Arrrgh ! I don't want to be pedantic BUT .... The decade doesn't end until the end of 2020. There never was a year 0.

This is one of my pet hates.

If you want to be pedantic I doubt very much that there was ever a year 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Much as I detested his slow distribution, Cerny should surely be in goals?

I think Jonny Tuffey fits into this decade (correct me if I am wrong) and he would be in my team. Made some fantastic saves, quick and accurate distribution (apart from the odd occasion where the ball did not get up in the air!). Loved the way he would drive the team forward. Real commitment and urgency. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I think Jonny Tuffey fits into this decade (correct me if I am wrong) and he would be in my team. Made some fantastic saves, quick and accurate distribution (apart from the odd occasion where the ball did not get up in the air!). Loved the way he would drive the team forward. Real commitment and urgency. 

Good shout. Rowson, Archie and Cairney are other possibilities from early in the decade. I'd probably go with Archie and Lindsay at the back (though Muirhead was excellent for the promotion season).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4-2-3-1 formation


Tuffey

O’Donnell  Lindsay Archibald Taylor Sinclair

Rowson Bannigan

Higginbotham Erskine Lawless

Doolan

 

Bench

Fox Dumbuya Elliott Balatoni Osman Barton Taylor

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He wasn’t at Firhill for long, but I think Steven Craig is one of the best strikers we’ve had in the past 10 years.  Couldn’t understand why we let him go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4-2-3-1

Cerny

O'Donnell
Archibald
Lindsay
Taylor Sinclair

Bannigan
Osman

Lawless
Higginbotham
Erskine

Doolan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are my fave players.  Not always the bèst!

Cerny - GK

Elliott - RB

Balatoni - CH

Archibald - CH

ATS - LB

Paton - MID

Rowson - MID

Cairney - MID

Erskine - FWD

Doolan - FWD

Lawless - FWD

 

 

Edited by Lambies Lost Doo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The only doubts I had with my selections were:-

Right Centre Back - definitely the hardest choice...Balatoni had a mandatory blunder every game, Muirhead excellent in the First Division but didn't make the step up, .Frans was pretty solid, Keown & Devine ok initially but declined significantly, Lindsay far better on the left side.  Barton was outstanding in his first season though he usually played in a back three - he was awful as a midfielder in his second season.

Midfield Anchor - Paul Paton was a key player in the promotion winning team , Osman likewise in the top League - awful in his final season though.

Striker - we seldom played twin strikers and although I didn't expect Lyle Taylor to be in the £4m transfer bracket, he and Doolan were very good players for us.

I would give honourable mentions to Dumbuya & Lawless and Welsh & Fraser might have been candidates but for injury problems. 

                                                      Cerny

O'Donnell                Barton          Lindsay     Taylor-Sinclair

           Erskine      Osman       Bannigan      Higginbotham

                                  Taylor           Doolan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some really good teams being proposed here, as long as the players were in their good spell with us. Some were pretty dire at the end.... same goes for managers, though one was dire from the start.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cerny

SOD.....Archie.....Lindsay.....ATS

...........Osman.....Bannigan

Lawless....Erskine.....Higginbotham

..................Doolan

The two lefty centreback pairing doesn't really look correct. I've also omitted due to shortage of games, Osbourne who imo was a bit ahead of Osman.

Didn't make my team of the decade but Paul Cairney of season 11/12 is worth an honourable mention. Also Sean Welsh from late 11/12 season till his injury in winter '13  worthy of a place on the bench. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Arrrgh ! I don't want to be pedantic BUT .... The decade doesn't end until the end of 2020. There never was a year 0.

This is one of my pet hates.

Have you never been to Kampuchea?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fox

O'Donnell Frans Lindsay Penrice

Osman Bannigan

Erskine McDonald Lawless

Taylor

Subs: Cerny Muirhead Paton Doolan Miller 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Cerny

SOD.....Archie.....Lindsay.....ATS

...........Osman.....Bannigan

Lawless....Erskine.....Higginbotham

..................Doolan

The two lefty centreback pairing doesn't really look correct. I've also omitted due to shortage of games, Osbourne who imo was a bit ahead of Osman.

Didn't make my team of the decade but Paul Cairney of season 11/12 is worth an honourable mention. Also Sean Welsh from late 11/12 season till his injury in winter '13  worthy of a place on the bench. 

 

I think that's the team I'd go for; though I'd be tempted to have Christie Elliott in for O'Donnell, who I thought was hit and miss for us and to be honest I'd never have picked out as a future international.

Shows you how much I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jagfox said:

Fox

O'Donnell Frans Lindsay Penrice

Osman Bannigan

Erskine McDonald Lawless

Taylor

Subs: Cerny Muirhead Paton Doolan Miller 

Higginbotham not even on the bench? Superb player who for some reason ended up a journeyman ( last heard of in India ). Usually I can barely remember what happened at the match the next day but can still visualise the goal v. Hearts as clear as day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Higginbotham not even on the bench? Superb player who for some reason ended up a journeyman ( last heard of in India ). Usually I can barely remember what happened at the match the next day but can still visualise the goal v. Hearts as clear as day.

Didn't realise that Higgy was now in Kashmir. Did anyone see the BBC documentary Real Kashmir FC? It was very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×