PTFC team of the decade

allyo

As we move into the 20s, a chance to look back on a decade of highs and lows for Thistle. We end the decade with the same manager that we started it with, but for the most part it's been others in charge. And obviously players have come and gone.

It's been a decade where I truly believe that we have been represented by players who will go down as legends in the club history. And also by a few numpties.

So, who'd make your starting eleven? In my view there's an eaay option to pick the 2012/2013 in full, but with 5 years in the premier league following that, there are plenty who proved at the higher level that they'd challenge for a place. Did Christie Elliott ever exceed the level of O'Donnell? Booth over ATS? Cerny or Gallagher or Fox? And what about Osman, Higginbotham, Lyle Taylor? 

Plenty to consider.

A number will go down as legends. The obvious being Doolan and Erskine. A few still doing well. Lawless doing very well at Livi and ATS also getting games there as well. O'Donnell has had a couple of very good seasons with Kilmarnock and also breaking into the Scotland team. Lyle Taylor doing very well with Charlton in the English Championship.

44 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Much as I detested his slow distribution, Cerny should surely be in goals?

I think Jonny Tuffey fits into this decade (correct me if I am wrong) and he would be in my team. Made some fantastic saves, quick and accurate distribution (apart from the odd occasion where the ball did not get up in the air!). Loved the way he would drive the team forward. Real commitment and urgency. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I think Jonny Tuffey fits into this decade (correct me if I am wrong) and he would be in my team. Made some fantastic saves, quick and accurate distribution (apart from the odd occasion where the ball did not get up in the air!). Loved the way he would drive the team forward. Real commitment and urgency. 

Good shout. Rowson, Archie and Cairney are other possibilities from early in the decade. I'd probably go with Archie and Lindsay at the back (though Muirhead was excellent for the promotion season).

The only doubts I had with my selections were:-

Right Centre Back - definitely the hardest choice...Balatoni had a mandatory blunder every game, Muirhead excellent in the First Division but didn't make the step up, .Frans was pretty solid, Keown & Devine ok initially but declined significantly, Lindsay far better on the left side.  Barton was outstanding in his first season though he usually played in a back three - he was awful as a midfielder in his second season.

Midfield Anchor - Paul Paton was a key player in the promotion winning team , Osman likewise in the top League - awful in his final season though.

Striker - we seldom played twin strikers and although I didn't expect Lyle Taylor to be in the £4m transfer bracket, he and Doolan were very good players for us.

I would give honourable mentions to Dumbuya & Lawless and Welsh & Fraser might have been candidates but for injury problems. 

Cerny

O'Donnell                Barton          Lindsay     Taylor-Sinclair

Erskine      Osman       Bannigan      Higginbotham

Taylor           Doolan

Cerny

SOD.....Archie.....Lindsay.....ATS

...........Osman.....Bannigan

Lawless....Erskine.....Higginbotham

..................Doolan

The two lefty centreback pairing doesn't really look correct. I've also omitted due to shortage of games, Osbourne who imo was a bit ahead of Osman.

Didn't make my team of the decade but Paul Cairney of season 11/12 is worth an honourable mention. Also Sean Welsh from late 11/12 season till his injury in winter '13  worthy of a place on the bench. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Cerny

SOD.....Archie.....Lindsay.....ATS

...........Osman.....Bannigan

Lawless....Erskine.....Higginbotham

..................Doolan

The two lefty centreback pairing doesn't really look correct. I've also omitted due to shortage of games, Osbourne who imo was a bit ahead of Osman.

Didn't make my team of the decade but Paul Cairney of season 11/12 is worth an honourable mention. Also Sean Welsh from late 11/12 season till his injury in winter '13  worthy of a place on the bench. 

I think that's the team I'd go for; though I'd be tempted to have Christie Elliott in for O'Donnell, who I thought was hit and miss for us and to be honest I'd never have picked out as a future international.

Shows you how much I know. 

8 hours ago, jagfox said:

Fox

O'Donnell Frans Lindsay Penrice

Osman Bannigan

Erskine McDonald Lawless

Taylor

Subs: Cerny Muirhead Paton Doolan Miller 

Higginbotham not even on the bench? Superb player who for some reason ended up a journeyman ( last heard of in India ). Usually I can barely remember what happened at the match the next day but can still visualise the goal v. Hearts as clear as day.

2 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Higginbotham not even on the bench? Superb player who for some reason ended up a journeyman ( last heard of in India ). Usually I can barely remember what happened at the match the next day but can still visualise the goal v. Hearts as clear as day.

Didn't realise that Higgy was now in Kashmir. Did anyone see the BBC documentary Real Kashmir FC? It was very good.