Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
allyo

PTFC team of the decade

Recommended Posts

On 12/28/2019 at 1:47 PM, Dick Dastardly said:

Arrrgh ! I don't want to be pedantic BUT .... The decade doesn't end until the end of 2020. There never was a year 0.

This is one of my pet hates.

On the above basis, gives O'Ware another year, I will go for

Cerny

O'Donnell  Lindsey  O'Ware  Booth

Welsh  Osman   Bannigan  Erskine

Taylor  Doolin

Substitutes

Fox, Elliot, Penrice, Frans, Seabourne, Lawless, Higginbotham, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Didn't realise that Higgy was now in Kashmir. Did anyone see the BBC documentary Real Kashmir FC? It was very good.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good too, Robertson came across as old school but there could be a manager in there.  Definitely an interesting location to start your career!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, allyo said:

I think that's the team I'd go for; though I'd be tempted to have Christie Elliott in for O'Donnell, who I thought was hit and miss for us and to be honest I'd never have picked out as a future international.

Shows you how much I know. 

My team is better.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Higginbotham not even on the bench? Superb player who for some reason ended up a journeyman ( last heard of in India ). Usually I can barely remember what happened at the match the next day but can still visualise the goal v. Hearts as clear as day.

That's my choice. Higgy flattered to deceive imo. Even the game vs Motherwell where he was unplayable at times we still lost. 

Exciting at times, invisible the majority of his time with us but inconsistency is the curse of the winger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jagfox said:

That's my choice. Higgy flattered to deceive imo. Even the game vs Motherwell where he was unplayable at times we still lost. 

Exciting at times, invisible the majority of his time with us but inconsistency is the curse of the winger.

I picked Higgy but there's little I can argue against your point. Guess we differ only as we don't really know the strictures. I think I'd still stick Higginbotham in my team on his performances 13/14. I don't believe he was too inconsistent that one season. Yon game against Motherwell he was absolutely possessed. Played most of that game attacking down the left but was covering right back spot on more than a few occasions. Can't mind a player less deserving to be on a losing side that day. 

Gotta theory about Higgy that after he was injured playing for us he was never the same. Never the quickest of players as it was, I reckon the further pace he lost made him so much easier for a defender to read. Different positions but I believe Liam Buchanan suffered the same sort of plight. 

If we only based performances on just a handful of games I can't see past the likes of Isaac Osbourne & Adam Barton. They'd definitely be in my team of the decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Higginbotham from that Motherwell game to the end of that season was probably the best player I've seen for Thistle in easily 20 years, probably going back to the Lambie team of the mid 90s and even then there's an argument he was better, we would 100% have finished 11th - and could well have lost the playoff to Accies- if not for him. The other season and two thirds with us and everything after he was unproductive but I'd still have to give him his place in the team

Cerny

SOD <RCB> Lindsay ATS

Osman

Lawless......................................Higginbotham

Erskine

Taylor Doolan

 

Unconventional formation to shoehorn in a couple of players. Could easily accept McDonald in place of Taylor given how vital he was last season and if I was playing a more conventional 4-2-3-1 then the pre 2016 version of Banzo would be the other midfielder.

For the right centre back I could make and dismiss cases for all of Frans, Keown, Balatoni, Muirhead, even Archie tho his best days were clearly behind him this decade. Barton only as sweeper in a 3. Probably go for big Aero given his performances in the 2012/13 season, and his penalty against Hearts after he'd missed the one in the cup final, nearly took the back of the net away.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

Higginbotham from that Motherwell game to the end of that season was probably the best player I've seen for Thistle in easily 20 years, probably going back to the Lambie team of the mid 90s and even then there's an argument he was better, we would 100% have finished 11th - and could well have lost the playoff to Accies- if not for him. 

 

 

 

Entirely agree - Higgy's streak of form was sensational in that period...a genuine match-winner with goals and assists. Archie's inexplicable substitution of Erskine and Higgy late on at Fir Park turned a 3-2 lead into a 3-4 defeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, terrific cross.

There was a game at Firhill against Aberdeen. We were soundly beaten. From the kick off after their third goal, a pi$$ed off Higgy thumped the ball off the crossbar with their keeper well beaten. On his day, he was a joy to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allyo said:

Higginbotham's cross for Doolan's goal in that same period (post split 2014) was something special. 

I agree that for that few months in 2014 he was as good as I've seen in a Thistle shirt.

https://spfl.co.uk/videos?v=UN5xnFeM1rA&pl=PLAmNSUlUap5u6U2KmjUdYxmjlPghjkJJ6

For me, that goal says more about Doolan’s ability to finish than Higginbotham’s quality of cross. Hitting an unexpected curling ball with the outside of a foot is one thing, but to out jump your marker at the far post and loop a header back over the keeper is far tougher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Yes, terrific cross.

There was a game at Firhill against Aberdeen. We were soundly beaten. From the kick off after their third goal, a pi$$ed off Higgy thumped the ball off the crossbar with their keeper well beaten. On his day, he was a joy to watch.

I think at Pittodrie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not worth a thread of its own, so the team of the decade seemed to be the right place to post this.

Just back from running the Beith 10 kilometre race on a wet and windy day.  The "athlete" marshalling point was the Ladeside Pavilion. I was inspired to find on the wall a large photograph of Chris Erskine (who of course came to us from Kilbirnie Ladeside Juniors). He was in full Thistle kit (the macB strip), slicing through the Ross County defence. Higgy (also in Thistle strip) was looking on, so it must have been during the period when Chris came back to us on loan from Dundee United in the second half of our first season in the top flight (ie early 2014).

It was like meeting an old friend in an unexpected location!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Not worth a thread of its own, so the team of the decade seemed to be the right place to post this.

Just back from running the Beith 10 kilometre race on a wet and windy day.  The "athlete" marshalling point was the Ladeside Pavilion. I was inspired to find on the wall a large photograph of Chris Erskine (who of course came to us from Kilbirnie Ladeside Juniors). He was in full Thistle kit (the macB strip), slicing through the Ross County defence. Higgy (also in Thistle strip) was looking on, so it must have been during the period when Chris came back to us on loan from Dundee United in the second half of our first season in the top flight (ie early 2014).

It was like meeting an old friend in an unexpected location!

Hats off PtD for racing in such weather. I’m sure Kilburnie Ladeside are really proud of Chris. He was immense for the Jags; a true gent, a real professional. I hope he comes back to coach for us one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Not worth a thread of its own, so the team of the decade seemed to be the right place to post this.

Just back from running the Beith 10 kilometre race on a wet and windy day.  The "athlete" marshalling point was the Ladeside Pavilion. I was inspired to find on the wall a large photograph of Chris Erskine (who of course came to us from Kilbirnie Ladeside Juniors). He was in full Thistle kit (the macB strip), slicing through the Ross County defence. Higgy (also in Thistle strip) was looking on, so it must have been during the period when Chris came back to us on loan from Dundee United in the second half of our first season in the top flight (ie early 2014).

It was like meeting an old friend in an unexpected location!

You run 10 kilometre in wet and windy rain, Thistle diehard. You don't make life easy for yourself.:clapping:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×