V Alloa

exiledjag

We hammered them 1-1.

Fair play to Alloa - they play their game effectively, sitting in, pressing the man on the ball, then attacking from deep positions. Having said that, if they hadn't had man of the match Jamie McDonald in goal, we'd have had three or four more.

Nothing much to complain about today. Every Thistle player put in a real shift. We definitely missed Kakay - Slater looked like someone coming back from injury, not really contributing as much as we'd want.

Add a couple of quality players to that squad and we'll be fine.

29 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

We hammered them 1-1.

Fair play to Alloa - they play their game effectively, sitting in, pressing the man on the ball, then attacking from deep positions. Having said that, if they hadn't had man of the match Jamie McDonald in goal, we'd have had three or four more.

Nothing much to complain about today. Every Thistle player put in a real shift. We definitely missed Kakay - Slater looked like someone coming back from injury, not really contributing as much as we'd want.

Add a couple of quality players to that squad and we'll be fine.

I was delighted when we signed Craig slater but has he really been anything other than underwhelming or average since he has been with us.  Needs to do a lot more before we should be thinking about giving him a new contract 

• Like 1

Assume those that thought Alloa's first half effort was over the line were down the end we were defending. Couldn't tell from where I was, but what I could tell was that McGinty's first half header was clearly over the line. So maybe the officials' incompetence evened things out. Also should have had a 3rd penalty just after the 2nd. The ref bottled giving 3 in 5 minutes.

Draw a correct result. But we were not good. Too slow and pedestrian. Williamson is good for getting a yard on a player but his delivery was rotten. Slater, Miller and Jones were very poor today and defence a bit shaky. Not the start to 2020 we wanted and proof that we need 3 or 4 quality players in and need to ship others out. 

• Like 1

Seriously don't get the level of negativity about today's performance.

If the Alloa goalie hadn't pulled off five or six worldies, we'd have won that comfortably.

Just because Alloa are part-time, it doesn't mean we should automatically beat them every time we play them. They're style of play makes it difficult to create anything against them - as every other team has found.

But it's worth repeating, we were the better team, as we were against Morton last week. The likely direction of travel currently is upwards.

Edited by Firhillista
  • Like 4

I thought we should have had 3 penalties today and arguably the one not given was the clearest penalty.

We played pretty well and I thought Bannigan was the best player on the park. When the home goalkeeper gets man of the match you know we've had plenty of chances.

We missed O'Ware's threat at corners. McGinty didn't do much wrong but he doesn't throw himself at corners the same as Saunders and O'Ware.

Miller didn't look too happy being subbed. Someone needs to have a word with Zanatta as he's completely off form at the moment. He certainly isn't doing enought to merit a start.

We still have the same gaps in the squad but for McCall to get us in touch with the top 4 given the mess he inherited bodes well for the second half of the season.

BTW - how chronic was is that they played the A-Team theme after alloa scored?

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

McCall needs to get some better players in this month or the play offs are a real prospect. This squad dont seem to have the mental strength to take us on a sustained run of victories. 

Especially middle to front , bringing on Gary Harkins as a Centre Forward to get you a winning goal says it all for me .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muscat Jag said:

Assume those that thought Alloa's first half effort was over the line were down the end we were defending. Couldn't tell from where I was, but what I could tell was that McGinty's first half header was clearly over the line. So maybe the officials' incompetence evened things out. Also should have had a 3rd penalty just after the 2nd. The ref bottled giving 3 in 5 minutes.

I had the same view as the assistant and it didn’t look over for their ‘goal’ claim. Also had the same view as him for the 3rd penalty claim and it was the clearest of the lot, which would also have seen No.4 get a 2nd yellow, but like you say the ref and assistant bottled it. McDonald was great and against another keeper we could have scored 4. Disappointing result but not a disaster

Albeit from a distance but I thought Cardle went down too predictably re the "third penalty". However there was a clear arm ball in the first half. No foul given and probably in the Alloa box.  

Series of excellent saves by MacDonald undoubtedly reflected on the result but Fox also saved us in the first half. Thought we were the better side but can't really complain about the final result. I'm very much anti synthetic pitches but don't believe the surface played a big part today. True there were the usual daft bounces, and a predictable negation in midfield but the game was reasonably enjoyable and fair.

Most disappointing aspect of the day (tho' on reflection hardly surprising) was the substitutions. All three produced a neutral effect.  

Wasn't at the game today but was keeping in touch with text and score.  Understand disappointment at not winning but think need to keep our eyes on the 'big picture'. 

McCall has not only kept us in touch with the teams above us, best I thought we could hope for, but also within reach of 4th place. 

Give the mess he inherited he has us looking more and more like a football team. 

3 or 4 good signings  and we can reach the play-offs. 

Who would have thought that was possible 3 months ago? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

I had the same view as the assistant and it didn’t look over for their ‘goal’ claim. Also had the same view as him for the 3rd penalty claim and it was the clearest of the lot, which would also have seen No.4 get a 2nd yellow, but like you say the ref and assistant bottled it. McDonald was great and against another keeper we could have scored 4. Disappointing result but not a disaster

Hi Jaggy. We need to meet for a pint sometime.

Have no idea about the validity of the first penalty. My view was obscured, assume it was for handball. 2nd, which we got, and 3rd, which we didn't, were absolute stonewallers. Watched the ref at the second and could tell he almost bottled it, actually think he would have if we'd scored the 1st. He completely shat for the 3rd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Wasn't at the game today but was keeping in touch with text and score.  Understand disappointment at not winning but think need to keep our eyes on the 'big picture'. 

McCall has not only kept us in touch with the teams above us, best I thought we could hope for, but also within reach of 4th place. 

Give the mess he inherited he has us looking more and more like a football team. 

3 or 4 good signings  and we can reach the play-offs. 

Who would have thought that was possible 3 months ago? 

A certain Gary Caldwell, thought this was a top 4 squad.:help: