V Alloa

exiledjag

The big problem with the team is having to accomodate Miller wandering all over the pitch. As much as he is/was a good player we cant cover for him turning up at left back when we need someone up front. Given the other limitations in the team its like playing with a man short at times. As Jaggernaut said his scoring record is poor after a very good start , coinciding with McCall taking over ???? Maybe he only wanted to play for Caldwell ?

• Thanks 1

I agree about the wandering Miller, so unless he has been given licence to do that by McCall, then McCall or Bannigan as captain should sort him out. Miller is fast becoming a passenger, and an arrogant and disruptive one at that.  I would not like to see him have any coaching job at Thistle beyond the end of his playing contract.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

I agree about the wandering Miller, so unless he has been given licence to do that by McCall, then McCall or Bannigan as captain should sort him out. Miller is fast becoming a passenger, and an arrogant and disruptive one at that.  I would not like to see him have any coaching job at Thistle beyond the end of his playing contract.

Fair comment

12 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

A certain Gary Caldwell, thought this was a top 4 squad.:help:

Possibly/potentially they were! 

But not under his management.

Regardless and even under a better manager the squad is still Work-in-Progress. Hence my repeating what other posters have said re need for some good quality signings. 

The only benefit from Miller playing deep is we don't see him sauntering, arm in the air, back into an onside position. And on that subject someone should tell Cardle to indicate to whoever is on the ball when he is in an offside position.  Must be hell of a frustrating to the likes of Cole to make very decent passes to a player only to see the linesman's flag shoot up.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

27 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Not a point regarding the game itself but on watching the Jagzone highlights I noticed the person taking the players during part of their warm up was not someone I recognised. His initials were RM - anyone know if he is involved in the physio staff or a sports scientist?

Ryan McCann maybe?  https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-management/ryan-mccann/

Edited by Pinhead

27 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Not a point regarding the game itself but on watching the Jagzone highlights I noticed the person taking the players during part of their warm up was not someone I recognised. His initials were RM - anyone know if he is involved in the physio staff or a sports scientist?

It's Harkins' Nutritionist, Ronald McDonald.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

5 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I thought the team played pretty well other than  Miller and his 'walkabouts' and Slater, who just looked way off the pace of the game.

The mention of Miller and a coaching job within PTFC is a new [and alarming] one to me. I hope this is not something that Miller is actively seeking within the club.

I don’t know if the manager is telling Miller to come deep, because Miller keeps doing it. He can finish so I’d like him to stay up more. Yesterday he wasn’t at his best. I thought  Slater done ok,put in a few decent crosses and closed down the Alloa left back well. The boy had been out for 7/8 months and to me played like a CM being asked to play wide. Banzo has now started playing decent and the manager has total belief in him,Cole is playing well, so it’s going to be difficult for Slater to get in the middle. 

1 hour ago, Steevo said:

I don’t know if the manager is telling Miller to come deep, because Miller keeps doing it. He can finish so I’d like him to stay up more. Yesterday he wasn’t at his best. I thought  Slater done ok,put in a few decent crosses and closed down the Alloa left back well. The boy had been out for 7/8 months and to me played like a CM being asked to play wide. Banzo has now started playing decent and the manager has total belief in him,Cole is playing well, so it’s going to be difficult for Slater to get in the middle. 

I was wondering that too as Archie said in his pre-match preview that the return of Jones had allowed Miller to drop deeper and link play. I don’t feel that he is very effective at it though and is better up top, he had a decent goal return at the start 

I think Miller wants a free role as he sees himself as the father of the team and too good for this league.

Looked to me like McCall wasn't happy with Miller on Saturday dropping so deep that he got in McGinty's way that he subbed him. Miller didn't bother to shake hands either with his replacement or McCall.

If Miller wants to get back to playing a striker and hanging of the shoulder of the least defender great if not he should be shown the door. We're not good enough to give any player a free role.

55 minutes ago, laukat said:

I think Miller wants a free role as he sees himself as the father of the team and too good for this league.

Looked to me like McCall wasn't happy with Miller on Saturday dropping so deep that he got in McGinty's way that he subbed him. Miller didn't bother to shake hands either with his replacement or McCall.

If Miller wants to get back to playing a striker and hanging of the shoulder of the least defender great if not he should be shown the door. We're not good enough to give any player a free role.

Agree. He was error prone and ineffective on Saturday. He is simply not good enough, these days, to play some kind of free role. There's a difference between a striker coming deep and a player who does not seem to have any idea what his job  is.

It's hardly surprising but the lack of movement up top is desperate. I think an otherwise fit side with reasonable pace could accommodate one player from Harkins, Miller or Cardle. Playing two at a time from that trio, as we did for 90 mins on Saturday, makes us extremely lethargic in attack. Needs must of course but that's something I believe needs addressing this month.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It's hardly surprising but the lack of movement up top is desperate. I think an otherwise fit side with reasonable pace could accommodate one player from Harkins, Miller or Cardle. Playing two at a time from that trio, as we did for 90 mins on Saturday, makes us extremely lethargic in attack. Needs must of course but that's something I believe needs addressing this month.

In fairness to Cardle he did his defensive duties fairly well which I think was part of the reason he moved to the right wing when Zanatta came on. McCall thought Cardle gave Williamson greater protection. Cardle was also the man who got us 2 penalties and should have got a third.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Ross Maitland. He's a sports therapist/scientist, used to be at Clyde.

He was working with our youths and got moved up after Caldwell got bumped, I believe Ian McCall decided he didn't want the sports scientists GC had.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/thistle-weir-academy-update-with-academy-director-scott-allison/

Edited by Jag
Link
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jag said:

Ross Maitland. He's a sports therapist/scientist, used to be at Clyde.

He was working with our youths and got moved up after Caldwell got bumped, I believe Ian McCall decided he didn't want the sports scientists GC had.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/thistle-weir-academy-update-with-academy-director-scott-allison/

Thank You - mystery solved.