Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
jagfox

Jags vs DABs

Recommended Posts

Those highlights were horrendous to watch. We're painstakingly slow to assess and react to  teams coming at us with pace.

The first goal from the corner should be the keeper's ball all day long. Foxy must learn to come for cross balls.

O'Ware still fails to impress me and looked as though he was wearing concrete boots.  Gawd help us next weekend.

Edited by Harrybriscoe
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

 

"So, in conclusion, some grounds for hope, but none for complacency."

Agree with this summation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I think that is a tad unfair on Miller. He might wave his arms about and look disappointed when play breaks down - but I don’t think you can accuse him of not trying to be involved unlike Cardle yesterday who appeared at least to me to try as hard as possible to stay out of the road of the ball

Fastest Cardle moved yesterday was his sprint to be subbed. Contributes next to nothing, often ends up getting in Williamson’s way. Doesn’t have the pace to go on the outside of the full back so constantly cuts infield. Must be a piece of piss to mark.

Austin looked to have a bit of pace and power about him, get him in ahead of Cardle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slater's time must be up, surely? McCall assessed at half time, correctly in my view, that we needed to bolster the midfield and he turned to Penrice, leaving Slater on the bench.

It was a reasonable decision, I think, although it just showed, yet again, that Penrice isn't a midfielder.

Pity we couldn't swop Slater for Docherty and get the new look team underway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Slater's time must be up, surely? McCall assessed at half time, correctly in my view, that we needed to bolster the midfield and he turned to Penrice, leaving Slater on the bench.

It was a reasonable decision, I think, although it just showed, yet again, that Penrice isn't a midfielder.

Pity we couldn't swop Slater for Docherty and get the new look team underway.

Sadly, it seems so. I thought there was a half-decent player in there once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Slater's time must be up, surely? McCall assessed at half time, correctly in my view, that we needed to bolster the midfield and he turned to Penrice, leaving Slater on the bench.

It was a reasonable decision, I think, although it just showed, yet again, that Penrice isn't a midfielder.

Pity we couldn't swop Slater for Docherty and get the new look team underway.

I don’t think Penrice in midfield yesterday worked or at Alloa 1st game this season. Maybe McCall will assess his decision and come to the conclusion that it was wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t think Penrice in midfield yesterday worked or at Alloa 1st game this season. Maybe McCall will assess his decision and come to the conclusion that it was wrong.

Livingston played Penrice in midfield and he earned rave reviews there, strange how it’s the opposite when with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Sadly, it seems so. I thought there was a half-decent player in there once.

If we are being fair he has been here a year and a half and nowhere contributed enough.  He’s not alone and in fact sadly that’s the case with so much of this squad- but there’s no reason to keep him if we can get better 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, King Kenny said:

Fastest Cardle moved yesterday was his sprint to be subbed. Contributes next to nothing, often ends up getting in Williamson’s way. Doesn’t have the pace to go on the outside of the full back so constantly cuts infield. Must be a piece of piss to mark.

Austin looked to have a bit of pace and power about him, get him in ahead of Cardle. 

I’m not going to get excited about Austin- been here since August, very possibly at some expense (getting him over from Australia for a start) - and he has contributed fast runs but not much else in a game which we had already lost when he came on and in that sense there was little pressure on him.

to say the least Austin was a very very strange signing from Caldwell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

If we are being fair he has been here a year and a half and nowhere contributed enough.  He’s not alone and in fact sadly that’s the case with so much of this squad- but there’s no reason to keep him if we can get better 

Yes agree - wasn't particularly singling him out. Like the rest he can go any time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I’m not going to get excited about Austin- been here since August, very possibly at some expense (getting him over from Australia for a start) - and he has contributed fast runs but not much else in a game which we had already lost when he came on and in that sense there was little pressure on him.

to say the least Austin was a very very strange signing from Caldwell 

It is funny how we can see a situation differently. I thought it was the worst time to come on. Game already lost, teammates given up an hour ago. Not much chance of making an impression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elevenone said:

Livingston played Penrice in midfield and he earned rave reviews there, strange how it’s the opposite when with us.

Think you’re right , Penrice would be more of an asset further up the left hand side of midfield , with his ability to whip a cross in and possibly more of a defensive cover . When Penrice first broke into the first team one of his big assets was his ability at free kicks , corners etc , no idea how we’ve managed to knock that part of his game out of him .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think you’re right , Penrice would be more of an asset further up the left hand side of midfield , with his ability to whip a cross in and possibly more of a defensive cover . When Penrice first broke into the first team one of his big assets was his ability at free kicks , corners etc , no idea how we’ve managed to knock that part of his game out of him .

 

If my memory serves me right, Penrice scored a very good goal direct from a free kick against Ross County in the league cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen no obvious signs that Penrice can cut it in midfield. Surely that would have been spotted in training over the last few years? Whatever the solution we badly need a third midfielder to support Bannigan and Cole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I've seen no obvious signs that Penrice can cut it in midfield. Surely that would have been spotted in training over the last few years? Whatever the solution we badly need a third midfielder to support Bannigan and Cole. 

Can’t really remember Penrice playing left side midfield for us , he’s played a holding role a couple of times which hasn’t worked but he played a 1/2 season with Livi there to good reviews.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been away for a week, so catching up and I'm reminded why I love this forum. There is a sort of mass manic depression about it. When I left, we had just had a couple of decent games and it was all about just a couple of tweaks to the squad and we could be pushing for the play-offs. After a bad game against United,  it is get rid of the lot and we might just avoid automatic relegation.

Got to love the wild swings !

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two goals lost from Thistle throw-ins and another because our goalkeeper is glued to his line, but, you know, Kenny Miller.

Edited by Dark Passenger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I have been away for a week, so catching up and I'm reminded why I love this forum. There is a sort of mass manic depression about it. When I left, we had just had a couple of decent games and it was all about just a couple of tweaks to the squad and we could be pushing for the play-offs. After a bad game against United,  it is get rid of the lot and we might just avoid automatic relegation.

Got to love the wild swings !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Agree entirely, the most worrying aspect is the lack of fight and character in the team...

 

22 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Yesterday  showed up all the weaknesses in the current Thistle team. 

They can dominate a game for spells, but can't score.

They give the ball away in midfield carelessly and don't have the players to win it back.

The defence leaks like a sieve with defenders prone to making mistakes...

 

21 hours ago, partickthedog said:

It seems that we lose games easily and win points with difficulty.

...I believe that the following stats apply to all our league games this season:

1) In all our draws we have  had to come from behind after losing the first goal.

2) In all our wins, we have either had to come from behind after losing the first goal, or, having scored first, we have been pegged back to level terms, and have had to go on to score a further goal (or goals)...

These all point to the problem in defence. All successful football teams are built on a sound defence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I've seen no obvious signs that Penrice can cut it in midfield. Surely that would have been spotted in training over the last few years? Whatever the solution we badly need a third midfielder to support Bannigan and Cole. 

My favoured option as well. Probably the most expedient way of shoring up the defence as well. I have a lingering doubt about MacKinnon, tho'. He's definitely been the type of player we've lacked since pre injury Osman. He near single handedly kept Accies in the top tier a few seasons back.

It's the past tense that concerns me. In our promotion season we had Thug Murray. His legs had gone he was still an excellent character to have around the squad. Just now we desperately need our Murray/MacKinnon type chappie to be on the field and for 90 mins at that.  Hopefully Darian will be fit enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

These all point to the problem in defence. All successful football teams are built on a sound defence.

We defintely have defensive problems mainly because of the personell available. Our rightback is more a wingback so relies on having a defensive midfielder in front of him. That worked ok until we lost Kakay.

We currently rely on Bannigan and Cole playing deeper to protect the defence as we have no proper defensive midfield. We also don't have a left sided central defender so distribution on the left side is heavily dependent on Cole.

On the plus side the rumoured signings are in areas that would address most of our problems by the end of the window and the potential system McCall wants to play looks like its been continued into the players we're looking at on PCA's.

Hopefully by the end of the window we'll have a team that looks like the following

Fox

Houston(rangers loanee)-O'Ware-Mayo (rangers loanee)-Penrice

Cole-MacKinnon-Bannigan

Cardle

Rudden-Graham

Next Season might look like the follwoing if we stay in the championship:

Fox

New Signing-Brownlie-McCart (ICT)-Penrice

Cole-Docherty-Bannigan

Zanatta - Rudden- New signing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×