Zak Rudden

Albert's Ghost

3 hours ago, Lord Rosebury said:

First time I've heard this 'retaining an interest ' from a selling club, usually kept quiet. 

We retained an interest in Liam Lindsay as I understand we retain one with Aiden Fitzpatrick. Nothing unusual about that.

Assuming Rodden is a relatively hot prospect and assuming he had been a free agent, then the only way we could have signed him on a two year deal would've been on a lowish trigger clause. That's of course hypothetical as he was under contract.

Again on a high assumption re the lad's prospects and with a year on his sevco contract, I doubt we could've bid anywhere near his transfer value. The only way round that is to allow the selling club to retain an interest. That "interest" no doubt involves sell on fees and/or possibly a buy back clause. The latter as likely as not is roughly on par and thus roughly the equivalent of the trigger clause threshold had he been a free agent. 

Sorry if that all sounds rather convoluted but it's more the way of transfer deals these days, particularly involving young players.  There's really only two ways a club our size will ever make daft money selling on a player. Either by producing our own (Weir Academy) or by sheer good fortune.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

14 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We retained an interest in Liam Lindsay as I understand we retain one with Aiden Fitzpatrick. Nothing unusual about that.

Assuming Rodden is a relatively hot prospect and assuming he had been a free agent, then the only way we could have signed him on a two year deal would've been on a lowish trigger clause. That's of course hypothetical as he was under contract.

Again on a high assumption re the lad's prospects and with a year on his sevco contract, I doubt we could've bid anywhere near his transfer value. The only way round that is to allow the selling club to retain an interest. That "interest" no doubt involves sell on fees and/or possibly a buy back clause. The latter as likely as not is roughly on par and thus roughly the equivalent of the trigger clause threshold had he been a free agent. 

Sorry if that all sounds rather convoluted but it's more the way of transfer deals these days, particularly involving young players.  There's really only two ways a club our size will ever make daft money selling on a player. Either by producing our own (Weir Academy) or by sheer good fortune.

It is my understanding that Rangers have included a buy back option in the deal.

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Would the buy back be at a small fee? I’m not really complaining either way as I’m delighted we have managed to sign him

No idea, sorry. As has been mentioned though, for Rangers to want him back at any point, he's going to have to do very well with us 

ETA Or indeed receive a sell on fee.

Edited by Jag