Selling Thistle tickets to Celtic fans DISGRACE

Bobbyhouston

I’m struggling with the Airdrie goalscorer? I can’t think of a scenario where we beat Airdrieonians to get promotion. Certainly not since I’ve been going? I know we had a chance to clinch promotion there back in 2001(?) but that ended 1-1 with an Alex Burns goal for Thistle.

25 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I’m struggling with the Airdrie goalscorer? I can’t think of a scenario where we beat Airdrieonians to get promotion. Certainly not since I’ve been going? I know we had a chance to clinch promotion there back in 2001(?) but that ended 1-1 with an Alex Burns goal for Thistle.

I think he means the Airdrie 2-1 game when Christie scored late on to give us the win, although it didn’t win us the league. 

• Thanks 1

Aside from the cockup with selling colin weir stand tickets to Celtic fans online. Am I alone in thinking it was good to see the ground so full? If we played Celtic again I’d be inclined to give them 2 stands again. 

I’d only keep 2 stands for us if we were confident of filling them. Can’t see that happening now.

i was worried that making it feel like an away game might lessen our enjoyment; or impact our team.  That didn’t happen for me.

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

So, did the match take place without any "incidents" amongst the spectators? Is Firhill still in one piece (or more accurately, three disjointed pieces)?

There were a few rammies in the cw stand and quite a number of Celtic fans. They were primarily located next to the offices. There was a high police presence and lots of stewards. Looks like they’d taken a Pre-planned approach to contain them in that area if any trouble arose. There were a few dotted around. Indeed there were a couple right behind me - but they were <7 years old and with their dad. 

I’m not aware of incidents in other areas.

Maybe it's an age thing,  but I don't get the angst about selling tickets to away fans.  One of my fondest memories is of us giving Rangers a doing at Firhill - 3-2 in the first league game of '71 season with Johnny Gibson running riot  - with me and my pals positioning ourselves in front of two burly cops while surrounded by thousands of Rangers fans. There was no segregation and no tickets either.  In fact,  the only game I remember having to buy a ticket for back then was the Scotland/England game.  Thought I'd take in the Old Firm Scottish Cup final replay the same year - rocked up to Hampden,  paid at the gate and joined 102,000 other folk to watch the game. Admittedly,  segregation was self imposed for games like that. 

Limiting access for away fans because we don't like them seems daft to me. I get that it's not much fun sitting next to folk who are celebrating Thistle getting a hammering (it's a long time since we could hope to see a Thistle side giving either side of the Old Firm a doing), but that's the territory currently. 

To be honest,  I'd have no problem being surrounded by Rangers or Celtic fans at Firhill if I could see us beating them.  It would,  actually,  enhance the experience...

• Like 2

We were sitting beside roughly 200 celtic fans at the dressing room end 

The police and stewards separated the fans 

Their was a lot of shouting at each other and one celtic fan eventually got thrown out 

Not a nice atmosphere sitting in your own stadium  afraid what was going to happen next 

If Miller had scored at half time anything could have happened 

This needs to be sorted out for future games 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Ah so the pre-match “we won’t let Celtic fans into the main stand” from the club was nonsense. What a surprise. 

I suppose they had to say something like that but ultimately it's the polis that control things. Without getting involved in the big picture under fan ownership we should at least be able to get this sort of thing sorted. If not we'd only have ourselves to blame.

As an aside, just as there's hypocrisy about the police allowing Celtic fans into the Colin Weir Stand, given the reason why they're not supposed to be there, there's perhaps a wee bit hypocrisy amongst some Jags fans.  I know if I couldn't get in the away end at say Dumbarton or East Fife I'd most likely try my luck in the home end. And at the other end of the scale most of my visits to Wembley in the 60s & 70s (add in yon Wales game at Anfield) my tickets weren't intended for us visitors.  

2 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Maybe it's an age thing,  but I don't get the angst about selling tickets to away fans.  One of my fondest memories is of us giving Rangers a doing at Firhill - 3-2 in the first league game of '71 season with Johnny Gibson running riot  - with me and my pals positioning ourselves in front of two burly cops while surrounded by thousands of Rangers fans. There was no segregation and no tickets either.  In fact,  the only game I remember having to buy a ticket for back then was the Scotland/England game.  Thought I'd take in the Old Firm Scottish Cup final replay the same year - rocked up to Hampden,  paid at the gate and joined 102,000 other folk to watch the game. Admittedly,  segregation was self imposed for games like that. 

Limiting access for away fans because we don't like them seems daft to me. I get that it's not much fun sitting next to folk who are celebrating Thistle getting a hammering (it's a long time since we could hope to see a Thistle side giving either side of the Old Firm a doing), but that's the territory currently. 

To be honest,  I'd have no problem being surrounded by Rangers or Celtic fans at Firhill if I could see us beating them.  It would,  actually,  enhance the experience...

During the 60's and 70's I would agree that being a fan in the wrong end of the stadium was something that was acceptable, you paid your money and you policed yourself.

Nowadays my feeling [and to emphasise, this is only my opinion] with many of the RFC and CFC fans, the amount of drugs and alcohol they consume prior to watching the match is such that the possible beating up of a punter who just happened to be wearing the 'wrong' colours has become, in their befuddled brains, an acceptable part of the 'match day experience'. 

My mate and I went to the bog as soon as we got in just after the turnstiles opened.  Unavoidably we made a new friend with (name withheld).  Talkative young lad, Celtic top and clearly drink had been taken (not by us).  A Thistle fan asked the steward why he'd been allowed into the stand (possibly on two different counts) and appears to have been told that someone else was "making up the rules" as they went along.  Not criticising any of the stewards or turnstile operators (on the minimum wage or unpaid volunteers no doubt) but if the club posts on social media that Celtic fans will not be allowed in the CW stand, then they should mean it and find a way to prevent it.  The fact that most of the Celtic fans were in one block, separated by police and stewards, suggests the whole thing was pre-arranged.

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

So, did the match take place without any "incidents" amongst the spectators? Is Firhill still in one piece (or more accurately, three disjointed pieces)?

I was in the centre of the Colin Weir stand, just behind the Jagzone commentary  team. During the game i heard a few shouts  looked around but didn't see anything of note. Going up to  Firhill and leaving Firhill, there was a lot of police, but i did not see any trouble.

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

2 hours ago, Big Col said:

Ah so the pre-match “we won’t let Celtic fans into the main stand” from the club was nonsense. What a surprise. 

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I was in the centre of the Colin Weir stand, just behind the Jagzone commentary  team. During the game i heard a few shouts  looked around but didn't see anything of note. Going up to  Firhill and leaving Firhill, there was a lot of police, but i did not see any trouble.

There seems to be a fair bit of "let's hope for the worse here, so we can be proved to be right" and disappointment that the celtic fans haven't wrecked Firhill!

Just now, scotty said:

There seems to be a fair bit of "let's hope for the worse here, so we can be proved to be right" and disappointment that the celtic fans haven't wrecked Firhill!

Not from me. I hoped to see a good performance from Thistle and no trouble in the ground or outside. Thankfully that is what it was for me.

• Like 3

Quite simply if we can’t allocate that stand to them because of safety concerns then there’s no defense when criticised for allowing them to buy tickets for the home end. I’m sure most Jags fans would accept giving them the JHS and Main Stand but we’ve been told that is a no go and we’ve been moved from the JLS as a result. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scotty said:

Don’t know why you quoted me but my point was about the club saying one thing and doing another.