Record Season for Penalties?

HeWearsNumber9

Random thread, but was just thinking we have amassed 5 penalties given to us this season so far, Banzo taking all 5. Taken against Arbroath, Ayr ,Alloa(x2) and most recently against Celtic. When was the last time we got 5 penalties in one whole season? Bearing in mind we are only around the half way point as well! I’m sure it’s not a club record by any stretch of the imagination but it ought to have been quite some time since we had so many across a season.

Good question. I remember those stats posts that showed us the number of matches played since..... (fill in the blank). I really "enjoyed"some of the stats about our best/worst runs since season xxxx. One of the was about the number of matches we'd gone without getting a penalty.... it was frightening!  

758 penalties are known to have been awarded in 1st XI matches since they were introduced.  (6,500 matches give or take.).  73-74 is the only season in modern times where there  were none awarded.  87-88 is the record season with 15 awarded.  5 so far this season could be on track for a high figure.  17-18 and 13-14 both saw 5 in the full season.  In the last 20 seasons only one made it into double figures (10 in 05-06).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Incredible info from, afk. :thumbsup2:

Straying slightly and with the "Yo-Yo" thread in mind. Is there any indication to suggest that when we're in the 2nd tier we get awarded more penalties than when in the top tier? I'm thinking along the lines that we will often be the big boys in the 2nd tier, and conversely as often or not lower down the pecking order in the top division.  A successful team should obviously spend more time in the opponents penalty box. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Incredible info from, afk. :thumbsup2:

Straying slightly and with the "Yo-Yo" thread in mind. Is there any indication to suggest that when we're in the 2nd tier we get awarded more penalties than when in the top tier? I'm thinking along the lines that we will often be the big boys in the 2nd tier, and conversely as often or not lower down the pecking order in the top division.  A successful team should obviously spend more time in the opponents penalty box. 

Nothing much in it m'lady.  (League matches only.)

Top flight:   Played 2817, Pens 331 = 1:9

Others:-      Played 1313, Pens 189 = 1:7

Total:-           Played 4130, Pens 520 = 1:8.

1 minute ago, a f kincaid said:

Nothing much in it m'lady.  (League matches only.)

Top flight:   Played 2817, Pens 331 = 1:9

Others:-      Played 1313, Pens 189 = 1:7

Total:-           Played 4130, Pens 520 = 1:8.

Thanks, afk. That just goes to prove what we've always suspected. We've been robbed! :)

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Something in the back of my mind about us 2/3 seasons ago we  went around 60 +games without a penalty..

It was 73 games between ICT 13/9/2014 and Celtic 12/3/2016.  

The record is 164 games between Cathcart 3/10/1891 and  Airdrie 16/11/1895.  Penalties are still occasionally unearthed but these figures are near enough the mark.

Yes. 

Bannigan's penalty against Celtic is believed to be the 758th penalty awarded to Thistle (all matches, 1st team only).  Of these, 218  (29%) were not converted (saved or missed the target) so the conversion rate is 71% (540).  Of the 218 missed, 12 were converted into "ordinary" goals on the rebound off the keeper or the frame of the goal.

30 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Yes. 

Bannigan's penalty against Celtic is believed to be the 758th penalty awarded to Thistle (all matches, 1st team only).  Of these, 218  (29%) were not converted (saved or missed the target) so the conversion rate is 71% (540).  Of the 218 missed, 12 were converted into "ordinary" goals on the rebound off the keeper or the frame of the goal.

So on average we miss three out of every ten penalties awarded? That's a surprising statistic.

Do you have figures for our conversion rate in competitive penalty shoot-outs afk?

10 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

So on average we miss three out of every ten penalties awarded? That's a surprising statistic.

Do you have figures for our conversion rate in competitive penalty shoot-outs afk?

Why surprising? I have absolutely no stats, but from general observation over the years, scoring  just over 7 out of 10 penalties seems about average.

Don't know if this helps https://instatsport.com/football/article/penalty_research

Also not sure if recent rule changes make it a wee bit harder to score. When the goalie had to be rooted to the floor you got less down the middle kicks. Now that they can move laterally it would appear to give the goalie an edge. But you often see the better penalty taker delay fractionally helping him to anticipate the goalie's movement.

For what it's worth I thought our historic completion rate slightly lower than I would've imagined. Like partickthedog not too surprised at missing 3 out of 10 these days.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I’ve been trying for years to have this ‘story’ confirmed.

I read many years ago that we held the record for the most re-taken penalty kick.

Evidently it took place in 1945 against Killie ( if my memory is correct) and we had to re-take the penalty 5 times, I.e. taking it six times in all. In true Jags tradition when the kick was deemed to be legal, we missed it!!

2 hours ago, sandbank boy said:

I’ve been trying for years to have this ‘story’ confirmed.

I read many years ago that we held the record for the most re-taken penalty kick.

Evidently it took place in 1945 against Killie ( if my memory is correct) and we had to re-take the penalty 5 times, I.e. taking it six times in all. In true Jags tradition when the kick was deemed to be legal, we missed it!!

This seems to be totally implausible...but read on!

The Dumfries and Galloway Standard on 3/11/1945 reported that in a reserve match Kilmarnock  v Thistle at Rugby Park on 27/10/1945, White of Kilmarnock had 7 attempts to convert a penalty.  The ref decided that the keeper had moved too early 6 times and on the 7th attempt it was saved.  Thistle reserves won 2-1.  The keeper was Robert Doig Macfarlane.  He made 6 first team appearances between November 1944 and January 1946.  He was signed from Glasgow Perthshire and also played with Rutherglen Glencairn, Leith Athletic and Kilmarnock.

Haven't found any other reference to this.  Pity it was a reserve game and got so little coverage. No way to tell if it is a record but it would be hard to beat.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

This seems to be totally implausible...but read on!

The Dumfries and Galloway Standard on 3/11/1945 reported that in a reserve match Kilmarnock  v Thistle at Rugby Park on 27/10/1945, White of Kilmarnock had 7 attempts to convert a penalty.  The ref decided that the keeper had moved too early 6 times and on the 7th attempt it was saved.  Thistle reserves won 2-1.  The keeper was Robert Doig Macfarlane.  He made 6 first team appearances between November 1944 and January 1946.  He was signed from Glasgow Perthshire and also played with Rutherglen Glencairn, Leith Athletic and Kilmarnock.

Haven't found any other reference to this.  Pity it was a reserve game and got so little coverage. No way to tell if it is a record but it would be hard to beat.

Who am I to argue with the mighty Dumfries and Galloway Standard?

I'm more than willing AFK to bow to your version of events, at least we can now that say that a Jags keeper holds the record for saving the most re-taken penalty.

BTW were you aware of this or just employing sleuthing skills?