Arbroath vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

16 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That was horrendous. Whatever the respective corner count was will reflect just how much Arbroath were in command. Thought at one point that Fox was trying to get the game abandoned by kicking as many balls out the ground as he possibly could. He even enlisted McGinty's help on that score. Can't think of a single positive the whole game.

Chilling when someone as well balanced as your good self comes away with a statement like that.

Does the team have a collective sense of entitlement whereby they are only remotely conscious of the dire state of things.

Or has Bunter already factored in the probability of going down before we go up (his post match comments savoured ever so slightly of complacency - 'we'll need to do better next week'). Or the next again week, or the week after that ….

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Maybe we are being unduly pessimistic after today's game.  I wasn't there but the strong wind must have been decidedly in Arbroath's favour  - being used to these conditions.  It seemed to be the proverbial game of two halfs. That, plus the re-jigged Thistle side, was bound to make it a struggle. 

Everyone seems happy about the transfer window signings (and un-signings) with perhaps more new faces to come.  The team should improve and the stability should allow McCall to make his mark on what is now (almost) his side.

That's just the point it wasn't a game of two halves. The Arbroath goalie didn't kick the ball out of play once. Maybe he would've if he had seen the ball anything like number of times Fox did. Also we defended the first half into the wind with three centrebacks & a defensive mid. An understandable tactic even if we still managed to ship a couple of goals. What puzzles me tho' is we could just have easily been playing with the wind behind us in the first half with what would've then been a ridiculously overloaded defence. 

In short had we had the wind in the first half, a clear advantage,  based on the way we failed to manage the conditions we'd still have struggled to get a point today.,  

• Like 1

Ok, so just home from that utter Crap, a team that cant understand the basics of playing the ball on the deck when the wind is horrendous, not one player showing at goal kicks resulting in Fox going long and out of the park most times, after the first time maybe move to the other side of the six yard box or kick in the opposite direction to counteract the wind ( not even schoolboy stuff). For me Mackinnon not good enough and took McCall to long to hook him off as in second half he was redundant. 

12 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

As I said I wasn't there, but judging by the BBC's possession and shots stats it seemed that we did much better the second half. 

Gotta agree the BBC possession & shots stats make us look a lot better than we were. As mentioned earlier I suggest the corner stats (4-10) reflect a fairly accurate picture. With such a strong wind down the pitch it's near impossible if playing well to not force more than a handful of corners. They did and we didn't.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

thought the young lad o'connor did well today

looks a skillful player and likes to push forward

typical thistle performance today

second to every 50/50 ball not picking up on opposing players and not getting tackles in

things can only get better surely

mckinnon is certainly not match fit

graham tried hard

jones i don't rate, mcginty and saunders should be on a slow boat to wherever

and fox should have the proverbial size 10 boot up-- his you know what

goal kick after goal kick straight out the ground :frantic:

i could go on,  left 10 minutes early, missed the bloody goal

had an excellent steak and black pudding pie at a very reasonable price  :thumbsup2:

bring on ayr utd

Just back home .a round drive of 196 miles for nothing.  The first half we were horrendous ok they had the advantage of the wind .but all we did was punt high balls into it..What was Fox thinking about trying to take kickouts  from his right hand side of the goal when every one went out of play. Surely the management team should have been telling him to move over to the other side!!

As soon as the fixtures came out, we should have known that there was a fair chance we would be playing in those conditions. 

When I got there today and seen the conditions, I knew we would lose because we have no fight about us. We had the bulk of the second half but Arbroath still pressed us hard and tried to get forward, unlike us in the first. 

Fox booting the ball out of the park from about six consecutive goal kicks was just embarrassing 

Just back,  best thing was the steak and black pie !!!

Hard to tell which was the team of part-timers! (was it the ones in the white shirts by any chance?)

Arbroath even had a game in midweek!!

Good few backsides need kicking. I didn't even clap/cheer when we scored!

Time for a wee goldie (or 2!)

Onwards and upwards(yeah right)

• Like 1