Arbroath vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

39 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

That’s probably a factor no doubt, but the contradiction is when Arbroath came to Firhill in our bigger park and beat us as well when we should have had the advantage.

Sometimes a team has got to dig in and find a way to win regardless of conditions etc ,  we don’t seem to have the players to do that .

I get that, but Arbroath play in “normal” conditions every 2nd week, so our advantage is lessened compared to when we play at their place. 
I wasn’t there yesterday, so can’t comment on how we played or how much the conditions actually affected our game. 

57 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

Some horrendous complacency going into this. Reading the pre-match predictions on this thread you would think PTFC were riding high in the league as opposed to the shower of keech they've been for 2 and a half ( long ) seasons.

Can you give any examples?

Did you actually read the thread?

1 hour ago, One t in Scotland said:

Some horrendous complacency going into this. Reading the pre-match predictions on this thread you would think PTFC were riding high in the league as opposed to the shower of keech they've been for 2 and a half ( long ) seasons.

I was guilty of optimism I admit, not complacency though.

There was cause for optimism, we were 3rd= in terms of last 10 games form, and Arbroath were 2nd bottom.

We had new players. We had hope.

The weather I do not see as much of an excuse - the players just didn't turn up. A bigger excuse might be losing Rudden just before the game and having to replace him with Jones who looked cold and like he didn't want to be there.

Edited by jaf

Easy to blame the wind and in truth such conditions like yesterday can cause an upset. Sadly losing to Arbroath these days is no upset.

As an admittedly rather loose general rule of thumb the full time team plays the ball on the ground whereas a part time (especially Dick Campbell} team relies more on the aerial game. Yesterday was just one blatant example of an exception to the rule.  We looked like a part time outfit, a naive collection of journeymen at that.

4 hours ago, Firhillista said:

In all my years of following Thistle and Scotland there have been many depressing performances to cope with and I have to say that yesterday's was one of the worst for me. 

Partly because I was really looking forward to the game.  I'd never been to Gayfield and I was ridiculously excited to be going to an old fashioned ground.  Partly because we'd signed some impressive players by all accounts,  including football commentators and opposing fans and I genuinely thought that this was going to be a fresh start - the season begins here,  kind of thing. 

The reality was crushing.  Another appalling away performance up (or down) there with all the low lights of recent years. Every bit as bad as the worst displays under Archibald or Caldwell in fact,  and - and this is where the depression really kicks in - exactly the same. 

Why is it that, no matter who's playing for us or who's the manager, we allow ourselves to be bullied out of games, over and over, by teams with more limited resources than us and players who, if we signed,  we'd all rightly condemning the  club for a lack of ambition?

Yesterday's experience can be summed up for me by the sight of Fox taking bye kicks that flew off the right hand side of the pitch over and over again,  with the Thistle fans howling in outrage and the Arbroath fans pissing themselves laughing.  You'd think he was trying to solve some particularly tricky quadratic equation instead of working out that you kick the ball to the left to compensate for the wind taking it to the right.... It was embarrassing. 

It isn't any consolation at all, or any kind of excuse,  but for those folk who are saying that the wind was the same for both teams,  it wasn't.  It allowed Arbroath to play to their strengths in the first half and destroyed any chance we could play to ours.  It had reduced significantly by the second half. If we had won the toss, that would have been a completely different game yesterday. 

Where now? We're in a relegation dog fight.  Time to start playing like we are. 

Quite true, it 'feels' exactly the same. This is the worrying bit.

Adverse weather conditions benefit the team that is physically and mentally stronger, and with the greater will to win. Not qualities that have been greatly in evidence at Firhill in recent years. The outcome is what we saw in the first visit to Cappielow last season, against Dundee United last week, and again yesterday.

Let's hope the team gets to play with the sun on their backs sooner rather than later. 

7 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Starting out with 6 out of 10 defensive outfield players maybe didn't help either.

Are you counting Mackinnon as 1?

There is enough visual evidence for us all to see to suggest you could count him as 1.5. On yesterdays showing there is also enough evidence you could count him as 0.

1 hour ago, Sivad said:

Adverse weather conditions benefit the team that is physically and mentally stronger, and with the greater will to win. Not qualities that have been greatly in evidence at Firhill in recent years. The outcome is what we saw in the first visit to Cappielow last season, against Dundee United last week, and again yesterday.

Let's hope the team gets to play with the sun on their backs sooner rather than later. 

Long time till May if your theory is right , forecast is snow this week!

3 hours ago, jaf said:

Are you counting Mackinnon as 1?

There is enough visual evidence for us all to see to suggest you could count him as 1.5. On yesterdays showing there is also enough evidence you could count him as 0.

Worrying. He was the boy that was going to stop up the holes in our defensive set-up.

An enforcer: sounds like he needs to enforce a diet.

21 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Worrying. He was the boy that was going to stop up the holes in our defensive set-up.

An enforcer: sounds like he needs to enforce a diet.

Would have been fine when he was younger but now is 35 , played in the Accies reserves for the last 3 months .

Where we’re at just now , we should have been a bit more savvy and signed someone younger who was going to hit the ground running.

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Was watching the Arbroath “Go-Pro” highlights of the goals. Why does Fox stand behind the goal line? Seeing a thread on Twitter this seems incredibly common in the goals he’s lost this season. 

In standing half way there already, it saves him some energy in walking to pick the ball out the net

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Was watching the Arbroath “Go-Pro” highlights of the goals. Why does Fox stand behind the goal line? Seeing a thread on Twitter this seems incredibly common in the goals he’s lost this season. 

Why does he end up stuck behind no.15 at both goals? He ends up at a disadvantage both times. Surely our centre backs should stop that happening?

• Like 1