Friday Fright Night? - Thistle vs Ayr

jagfox

Niven, Hogan and Tinney; Closs Harvey and Cunningham, with Ernie Yard in the forward line somewhere, was my first taste.

We'd just lost Sandy Brown to Everton, which baffled me as a 7 year old - how could anybody NOT want to play for Thistle?!!

As divine punishment for his treachery Sandy,  in later years, was judged by Saint and Greavesie to have scored 'the best own goal of all time' - in a Liverpool Derby. Admittedly St John may have been biassed in his choice.

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Niven, Hogan and Tinney; Closs Harvey and Cunningham, with Ernie Yard in the forward line somewhere, was my first taste.

We'd just lost Sandy Brown to Everton, which baffled me as a 7 year old - how could anybody NOT want to play for Thistle?!!

As divine punishment for his treachery Sandy,  in later years, was judged by Saint and Greavesie to have scored 'the best own goal of all time' - in a Liverpool Derby. Admittedly St John may have been biassed in his choice.

It is a belter, to be fair.

3 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Yes - just key in - Sandy Brown own goal Everton v Liverpool - and it comes up. 

Fantastic header. Afraid Sandy just didn't get the right connection to get it the ball over the crossbar or beyond the post! 

Any Centre Forward would be proud of that header

46 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Yes - just key in - Sandy Brown own goal Everton v Liverpool - and it comes up. 

Fantastic header. Afraid Sandy just didn't get the right connection to get it the ball over the crossbar or beyond the post! 

Any Centre Forward would be proud of that header

It was a belter. 

On 1/28/2020 at 7:05 PM, exiledjag said:

Showing my age but would you be inspired by this team::

Goal: Niven

Full-Backs: Hogan  Brown

Half-Backs: Harvey McKinnon Cunningham

Forward Line: Cowan Whielaw Hainey Duffy McParland

Defence, particularly right back was suspect. 

Wonder if these players realised they were playing in a golden era for Thistle Late 1950s to Mid 1960s - third in league, European qualification!! 

Tremendous. As a child of the 70's I'd love to travel back in time and go to a game at Firhill in the late 50's.

Night and day with the stuff served up now in a two thirds empty three sided ground.

Edited by One t in Scotland

55 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

But Sandy was quickly forgiven by the Everton faithful, and he went on to become a legend (in the good sense) at Goodison.

Albeit a shortist time as a Jag I still consider him a legend and IMO Sandy and Davie McParland were cheated out of the Scottish Caps they richly deserved by the Scottish FA Mafia/ Establishment. 

In Sandy's case the SFA sent a Selector to look at him for a place in the Scottish Squad. It was reported selection was between Sandy and Holt of Hearts. The Selector just happened to be a Director of......... Hearts; Holt was selected! 

• Sad 1

Suspect it will be 5 at the back again with O’Connor and Penrice pushing forward but I would personally go with a back 4 and let Saunders sit it out.  Hopefully Rudden will make it but no point risking him if any doubt.  Read on P&B it is now 26 live tv league games without a win which is some going, coupled with no league clean sheets this season.  Only one outcome...1-0 Thistle (Ross Docherty og).

If that statistic about 26 live games without a win is true, it reinforces my feeling that Thistle, more than any other club, have some of the most dire statistics of all of the clubs around us. What is it, now around 60 consecutive games without a win against the erse cheeks? Almost 100 years since we were in a Scottish Cup Final. Almost 50 years since the League Cup Final, and a real European competition (I don't count the Inter-Toto). I can't imagine many teams would beat yon run of matches without a penalty that we had not so long ago either.

Blessed are the cursed.

42 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

63 since Thistle beat either of the Old Firm (30 Rangers and 33 Celtic).  Don't know if the run of 26 live TV matches without a win is accurate but whatever it is, a fair number of these will have been against the Old Firm and, as such, were hardly likely to produce a win.

It's 26 live league matches without a win since Fake Thistle 2013.

Connah's Quay and Sr. Mirren have both been put to the sword on TV in cup-ties since then.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:17 AM, Semi Nurainen said:

Some unspeakable cronyism and blatant corruption in those days at the SFA.

Alan Rough's autobiography was brutally scathing about the suits at the SFA.

It was just as bad with McParland. I went to a Scottish League versus, I think but not sure, Irish League match at Hampden. 

Davie Wilson of Rangers was the first choice left winger for Scotland at the time but was not at his best. A good game  and McParland was in! 

The left half was Jim Baxter of Rangers. He was dreadful in that game and nearly all of his passes to McParland on the left wing were over hit and Davie couldn't get to them. 

As I had never seen Baxter pass the ball so badly I thought it was deliberate to protect his pal Wilson's Scotland place. There were quite a few comments in the press along these lines and especially about Davie getting another chance. Davie, being the gentleman he was, accepted responsibility and commented 'he felt a yard slow on the night'! I completely lost respect for Baxter after that game. 

Some time later my father, a Morton fan and a pal of Davie, told me my suspicions were correct! He  worked all his life in the newspapers  and pick up lots of bits of 'inside' information but he wouldn't tell me his source other than it came from Ibrox!! 

A blind man could have seen what Baxter was up to but not the SFA.  I suspect they knew but didn't want to take on the mighty Glasgow Rangers by dropping Wilson. 

Apologies for length of post. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

BBC One Scotland and BBC Scotland are two different channels, mind. The One Show's not broadcast on the latter.

thanks DP!  hopefully my son will get to see his first Thistle victory to night, he's been to and watched on TV about 15 games so far and so far and best we can do is a couple of draws!

• Like 1