Friday Fright Night? - Thistle vs Ayr

jagfox

10 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

As regards the penalty, even that horrible wee sh1te Dodds was hypercritical of the referee's decision, absolutely slaughtered him for it. Mind you he spent the other 89 minutes drivelling as usual including saying about 10 times 'Cardle should have  been off the park for the kick and the elbow. It did occur to me that in giving the penalty the ref was 'compensating' for having been lenient with Cardle. Terrible result, but at the end of the day, Ayr didn't tear us apart.

My mind may be playing tricks on me - but I am pretty sure the penalty was before the Cardle/Muirhead incident?

10 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Have to disagree. They may have gone about it in a different way but still got only 1 shot on target and had a calamitous defensive blunder. Think I’ve seen that story before

We had at least 2 shots on target, the goal and Cole’s free kick in the 1st half. Not great, I know. Ayr managed less, I think.

4 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I did not see the Cardle reaction (too far away in the John Lambie Stand), but the Muirhead rugby tackle was worthy of Dave the Ukrainian.

Get him into the Scotland squad for the Six Nations!

Actually, Cardle had Muirhead in a headlock before Muirhead hauled Cardle down and then Cardle elbowed him twice. 
I thought there was a fair amount of niggle from both sides on Friday night.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Actually, Cardle had Muirhead in a headlock before Muirhead hauled Cardle down and then Cardle elbowed him twice. 
I thought there was a fair amount of niggle from both sides on Friday night.

I thought it a good effort for wee Joe to get big Aaron in a headlock. Ref probably didn’t give it because he thought it couldn’t possibly have happened.

8 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Part and parcel of avoiding a scrap is anticipation. Having seen what damage Muirhead can do with his heid (Almondvale 2013), I feel Joe was quite within his rights to protect himself. :)

Aye - Aaron certainly didn't disguise that one well on reflection.

Edited by Barney Rubble

3 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I did not see the Cardle reaction (too far away in the John Lambie Stand), but the Muirhead rugby tackle was worthy of Dave the Ukrainian.

Get him into the Scotland squad for the Six Nations!

Thank you all for your enlightening responses, in the light of which I will review my original suggestion.

Get them both into the UFC. That Conor McGregor wouldn't stand a chance.

34 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

What is the relevance of your question to the debate?

34 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

What is the relevance of your question to the debate?

What debate?

You want to spout your negativity at ever opportunity, I prefer to look for the positives.

There is no debate. You sit at home focusing on results I prefer to go to the games and watch  the performance.

Yes we drew on Friday night but there was a lot more willingness and determination from the team overall and some good individual performances which gives me hope we can escape from the position we are in.

From your perspective, however, we drew the game and are still bottom of the table and if we are relegated Ian McCall should lose his job. You are perfectly entitled to your view I just don't agree with it. There is no debate though.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

My mind may be playing tricks on me - but I am pretty sure the penalty was before the Cardle/Muirhead incident?

Correct, but there was an earlier incident to the one you mean  (was it with Harvie?). That wee sh1te Dodds was screaming for Bunter to take him off.  Actually I was rather delighted to hear Cardle putting himself about.

7 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Correct, but there was an earlier incident to the one you mean  (was it with Harvie?). That wee sh1te Dodds was screaming for Bunter to take him off.  Actually I was rather delighted to hear Cardle putting himself about.

There were too many to remember them all. I remember Cardle/Muirhead 1st half down at the office corner having a wee squabble. A tackle by Harvie on Bannigan, that Bannigan would have got sent off for and their no 30 pulling, pushing and kicking just about every Thistle player on the pitch.

Re the penalty. There was a much worse push on a Liverpool player in their game vs Southampton that wasn’t given even with a VAR review.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Emsca said:

What debate?

You want to spout your negativity at ever opportunity, I prefer to look for the positives.

There is no debate. You sit at home focusing on results I prefer to go to the games and watch  the performance.

Yes we drew on Friday night but there was a lot more willingness and determination from the team overall and some good individual performances which gives me hope we can escape from the position we are in.

From your perspective, however, we drew the game and are still bottom of the table and if we are relegated Ian McCall should lose his job. You are perfectly entitled to your view I just don't agree with it. There is no debate though.

So there was no relevance to your question.  Thank You!

8 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

There were too many to remember them all. I remember Cardle/Muirhead 1st half down at the office corner having a wee squabble. A tackle by Harvie on Bannigan, that Bannigan would have got sent off for and their no 30 pulling, pushing and kicking just about every Thistle player on the pitch.

Re the penalty. There was a much worse push on a Liverpool player in their game vs Southampton that wasn’t given even with a VAR review.

I said at the time, if that was Bannigan on Harvie, he would have been off.

23 minutes ago, Jag said:

I said at the time, if that was Bannigan on Harvie, he would have been off.

I thought the Liverpool decision was correct as Firmino collapsed as if hit by a truck. Footballers do this to get penalties and opposition red cards. He should have remained strong and given himself a chance to score.

At least there was some degree of interference with Firmino. Forrest is a wee skinny nyaff and was blown over by a mysterious gust of wind. Perhaps also the fingernail on back contact also contributed to his collapse. The ref should have booked him and told him to grow up.

I liked the attitude of our players who didn’t take any garbage from a very cynical Ayr team. I haven’t seen this for a while. Graham is clearly an influence in this respect. 

Cardle has his best game for us but must not get carried away otherwise the aggressors like Harvie will benefit.

My tuppenceworth . There was a wee tug on Forrest's right wrist and he dived  - wasn't enough to impede his progress . Wee Joe got an elbow in the ribs and dished out his own punishment as the assistant decided he saw nothing . Should still have been a red . Thought the difference between the sides was that they were playing with confidence , whereas we were learning to play together . We'll get better and turn the draws into wins . Surprised how unfit Rudden looks .

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

"NARF" is quite a good acronym for the Not a Real Fan Club.

I am struggling for a reasonable acronym for AJ's Not in the Know Club, of which I am a member. NITKON is the best I can come up with, but that is not a perfect fit.

I'm not a member of the Not In The Know Club myself but I  am on first name terms with the Deputy Chairman...

• Haha 1