Friday Fright Night? - Thistle vs Ayr

jagfox

Defence much improved tonight. Would have had our first clean sheet of the league season if Bannigan hadn't have ****** up so spectacularly. Wasn't sure if it was a penalty or not but the ref shouldn't have been given a decision to make. That aside where in God's name do they get them from. Ayr were the dirtiest, nastiest side I've seen at Firhill all season but I'm reasonably sure it ended with two bookings apiece. Some decent performances tonight, Cardle's best game of the season, but in truth we need to create more chances. 

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Ok. I get it. You dont rate fox. But if stats show his pen save ratio is the same or better than most keepers,  you would reassess your opinion?  For the record I have no idea what the stats are but facts may be important.

I have rated him, never been great at penalties. In 2020 so far he has been very disappointing the goals conceded against Dundee United and Arbroath were very poor. However aside from the howler against Morton in 2019 he was mostly decent 

It was a game which left me a bit flat...it was  hard fought and fairly even...not awful but few real goal threats by either side...Ayr didn't look a better side but they are third  and the League Table doesn't look good tonight...we were ok but there was not much to be enthusiastic about...we don't have many exciting players and although they might be upgrades on what we had, I am not that keen on Old Firm loan players...I was sitting looking along the 18 yard line and had a clear view and thought it was a penalty so didn't even get annoyed...we didn't miss any of the players who have left.

I thought Penrice was the pick of the team, O'Ware won a lot of headers, Bannigan composed(other than colliding with Brownlie), Zanatta nearly very good frustratingly often...Rodden didn't get in the game...MacKinnon made one good challenge and I think I spotted him play the ball on one other occasion.

We have improved and I think McCall has a coherent plan...I don't think we will be relegated...but it is all a bit underwhelming...we seem a long way from the standard of players I would like to see.

8 hours ago, MonehJags said:

We shouldnt have been in the position of losing the penalty. There were 3 Thistle players in vicinity of the ball pretty much unchallenged prior to the ball being played to Forrest. The CB had a clear view and run and was better placed to deal with it, for some reason Bannigan makes an unbelievable decision to deal with it and they make an erse of it. Forget blaming Fox this time, the communication between our players cost us. Bannigan is a liability

100% agreement. Penalties, red cards, stupid sideways passes.... Bannigan's the man.

7 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I have rated him, never been great at penalties. In 2020 so far he has been very disappointing the goals conceded against Dundee United and Arbroath were very poor. However aside from the howler against Morton in 2019 he was mostly decent 

It's got to the stage that when I see Fox in the team sheet before a match I automatically think a 1-0 start for the other team.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

It's got to the stage that when I see Fox in the team sheet before a match I automatically think a 1-0 start for the other team.

Indeed,being saying for a while that Sneddon should be given a decent run between the sticks given our inability to keep a clean sheet.In saying that our defence, Brownlie  and Bannigan  size 22 clown shoes incident apart, our defence looked pretty solid last night leaving Ayr huffing and puffing in front of goal.

Firstly that was definitely a penalty. O’Connors arms were all over him. The only way that is not given is if you are in a green/white or blue shirt.

Brownlie as much to blame as Banzo for the goal. As soon as he set off you could see the space open up and knew he had to win it or we were in trouble.

Graham did look good I the first half when he had support. When they dropped deeper second half he looked isolated. He will score more.

Overall that was pretty typical of so many recent games. We looked good at times without ever threatening to score (did Doohan have to make a save ?) We were always just one moment away from conceding and you knew it would come.

Need some big games next month

Edit to add that bbc stats say we had 8 shots with just 1 on target. Sounds like an old story

Edited by Dick Dastardly

I still think it was right of McCall to clear out some of the players, but we need to start turning performances into 3 points. Others above us have games in hand and a couple of defeats could leave us adrift with too much to claw back. 

Edited by sandy
typo

As some have said already, feel quite flat after that. Thought thistle looked solid in the first half and zanatta and penrice caused trouble down the left without creating too many clear cut chances. When zanatta went off and we went with two up front we started to play long balls without much joy. 

thought the new right back on loan from Celtic looked decent, less sure about Barjonas although to be fair he only had about 25 mins on the pitch. Cole was disappointing and mackinnon looks as though he will only ever be able to play as part of three man midfield. 

ayr were pretty cynical and the referee was soft, their number 30 should have been in the book long before he was. 

the league table does not look good and I think we have a big fight on our hands to stay in the league 

I'm actually fairly positive after last night. First of all, Ayr were a bunch of hacking ********-the ref really didn't get a grip on that at all. McKinnon when he's fitter will be a real player for us. I thought that all of the new players looked a cut well above who we released and you can see what McCall is trying to achieve. I really liked the look of the new wee defender and thought the penalty was soft -also thought Joe Cardle had his best game in a long time. Zanatta needs to stop pulling out of tackles and get in the mix a bit more.

Quietly confident.....for next season.

Based purely on the leage table right now, safety will be at a ridiculously high 45 points. I doubt it will pan out that way but you never know.

On that basis we'd need 22 points from 13 games. Say, win 6 draw 4 lose 3.

It's definitely tough.

Projected standings:

Dundee Utd 87
Inverness CT 60
Ayr 57
Dundee 50
Dunfermline 46
Arbroath 46
Morton 45
Queen of Sth 45
Alloa 39
Partick Thistle 36

12 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Interesting opinion re the penalty JeanieD.

I always view controversial/penalty/red card incidents from the point of view of 'what would I want if that was me or my team'.'

Using that metric, that was not a penalty for me - there was no bodily contact that changed his trajectory, or took him off balance.

Totally agree. The Ayr player leaned in and fell over. Very soft and not a penalty for me, either.

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

Based purely on the leage table right now, safety will be at a ridiculously high 45 points. I doubt it will pan out that way but you never know.

On that basis we'd need 22 points from 13 games. Say, win 6 draw 4 lose 3.

It's definitely tough.

Projected standings:

Dundee Utd 87
Inverness CT 60
Ayr 57
Dundee 50
Dunfermline 46
Arbroath 46
Morton 45
Queen of Sth 45
Alloa 39
Partick Thistle 36

Definitely tough. I feel a 'must win the final game to be safe' situation heaving over the horizon again....

16 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Definitely tough. I feel a 'must win the final game to be safe' situation heaving over the horizon again....

Going to be a hell of a revival , we’ve got 23 points from 23 games ( 23 from a possible 69 points )

Think it’s time for everyone at the Club to start talking about a relegation battle rather than play off places and then go again next year .

May I suggest that our goalkeeper merely stands up, rather that diving right or left? As his anticipation appears to be always wrong, perhaps he should tell his anticipation  that it is always wrong? Standing still might have saved a few more penalties than his current nonsense.

The man needs to break with his beliefs and save at least one penalty, once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

According to BBC, we had one shot on target.

At home, against Ayr. 

More performances like that will get us relegated.

It's the BBC so always guaranteed to be wrong.  We scored plus had the free kick at the corner which rattled off the keepers hands.  That's two in the first half.  If definitely wasn't prolific with shots on target but, for the first time in a while I thought we had a real chance of scoring each time we attacked the Ayr goal.

Definitely some signs of improvement and the attitude looked better last night too (IMO).