Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
jagfox

Friday Fright Night? - Thistle vs Ayr

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

To make that assertion we would have to see the save ratio of all goalkeepers.....otherwise it is just guesswork.

True, although for clarification - my comment was facetious rather than serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Usually best to wait til the results are in. 2 points behind alloa and qos. 4 behind morton. Hardly unassailable. No guarantee that morton and qos will win their games in hand.  Long way to go yet. 

Fair enough, but we need hope & points very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, allyo said:

Based purely on the leage table right now, safety will be at a ridiculously high 45 points. I doubt it will pan out that way but you never know.

On that basis we'd need 22 points from 13 games. Say, win 6 draw 4 lose 3.

It's definitely tough.

Projected standings:

Dundee Utd 87
Inverness CT 60
Ayr 57
Dundee 50
Dunfermline 46
Arbroath 46
Morton 45
Queen of Sth 45
Alloa 39
Partick Thistle 36

I think there will be less points between 4th and 9th than that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Dear me - not a great set of results all told.

Emphasises the necessity to make maximum capital of our own games, as I said earlier.

No shit Sherlock 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

 No guarantee that morton and qos will win their games in hand.  Long way to go yet. 

I think one of the games in hand is v eachother, so one or both will pick up points in that one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't share the pessimism of some posters.  There was a marked improvement in the team's performance last night compared to earlier in the season.

They have lifted the tempo - Zanata and Cardle on the wings were much more direct and there were fewer cross field and backward passes that simply passed the buck as well as the ball.   Graham's stronger presence drew defenders and created space for others.

Attitude has improved with better commitment in challenges and better pressing.  Bannigan frustrates and impresses in equal measure, and wonder how we would perform without him, now we have more options in midfield.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was a neutral fan at your game last night (Huddersfield Town fan in Glasgow for business reasons). I still cant believe i saw a draw, Ayr would never have scored without the penalty. Play like that every week and you will stay up. 

Thought Cardle and Graham looked good. First half was better than 2nd but whilst Jags didnt look like scoring in 2nd half, they had Ayr just about under control. 

Thought you lot backed your team excellently from the John Lambie stand and that will make a difference against most of the teams in your division. 

Not impressed that there’s no beer on sale in the ground, is that across Scotland or just Thistle? Its 3 years since i was last at a Scottish game (at Albion) and i could get a drink there, has the law changed?

 

i will be following your results for the rest of the season and hope you stay up. 

 

 

Edited by Terrier25
Spelli
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As regards the penalty, even that horrible wee sh1te Dodds was hypercritical of the referee's decision, absolutely slaughtered him for it. Mind you he spent the other 89 minutes drivelling as usual including saying about 10 times 'Cardle should have  been off the park for the kick and the elbow. It did occur to me that in giving the penalty the ref was 'compensating' for having been lenient with Cardle. Terrible result, but at the end of the day, Ayr didn't tear us apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

I don't share the pessimism of some posters.  There was a marked improvement in the team's performance last night compared to earlier in the season.

They have lifted the tempo - Zanata and Cardle on the wings were much more direct and there were fewer cross field and backward passes that simply passed the buck as well as the ball.   Graham's stronger presence drew defenders and created space for others.

Attitude has improved with better commitment in challenges and better pressing.  Bannigan frustrates and impresses in equal measure, and wonder how we would perform without him, now we have more options in midfield.

 

Have to disagree. They may have gone about it in a different way but still got only 1 shot on target and had a calamitous defensive blunder. Think I’ve seen that story before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

And you talk about mature? Hahaha.

Sorry. Is that yes or no?

Simple question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, allyo said:

Based purely on the leage table right now, safety will be at a ridiculously high 45 points. I doubt it will pan out that way but you never know.

On that basis we'd need 22 points from 13 games. Say, win 6 draw 4 lose 3.

It's definitely tough.

Projected standings:

Dundee Utd 87
Inverness CT 60
Ayr 57
Dundee 50
Dunfermline 46
Arbroath 46
Morton 45
Queen of Sth 45
Alloa 39
Partick Thistle 36

Its an interesting projection and you could read it as 40 points is probably safe.

Thistle and Alloa both have 7 home fixture left and only 6 away. Morton have 7 at home and 7 away. QOS have only 6 at home and 9 away. Morton and QOS still have to play 3 games against each other which means at least one of those 2 is going to be sucked in. Morton and Alloa also have to play each other twice so again it limits how far they can get away from the bottom four.

We have Dunfermline, Dundee and ICT to play twice and everyone else once. We picked up 9 out of 18 points against those teams earlier this season and play them all in February so we should get more clues on if we are imrpoved or not after these games.

If I was a QOS fan I would be worried. They've not had a great transfer window as they've lost Brownlie to us at the same time as El Bakhtaoui and McRorie left. Last season they only picked up 8 points after this point in the season. The fixture list has them playing 5 games in 14 days in early March with the middle 3 being away from home. That looks a tough shift for any team and will inevitably make or break their season.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worried about Rudden.

He seems to always nearly get there but not quite.

Feels like unless the ball is right at him, he can't adjust by more than 6 inches.

He makes many decent balls look bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Worried about Rudden.

He seems to always nearly get there but not quite.

Feels like unless the ball is right at him, he can't adjust by more than 6 inches.

He makes many decent balls look bad.

Not sure if your post is a general comment or one specifically aimed at Rudden's performance last night! Though previous posts have been positive about Rudden but last night I thought he didn't look fit and his movement seemed restricted. 

On a more general point one of my frustrations with Thistle this season has been that the players alway seen to be slow to start moving to the ball and rarely anticipating the pass or second ball. 

It was refreshing to see Graham run to get to the back post to be there just in case a ball arrived there. This gave him the extra yard on the defender and made the goal an easy tap in! 

Well done to Graham and I hope the other players noted his anticipation and movement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Worried about Rudden.

He seems to always nearly get there but not quite.

Feels like unless the ball is right at him, he can't adjust by more than 6 inches.

He makes many decent balls look bad.

Are you  talking about his time at Falkirk or Plymouth, CJ? The lad wasn't deemed fit enough to start last night and I though he accounted for himself reasonably well against Celtic. He won't have trained much last week due to his strain so next to zero partnership stuff with Graham etc.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Are you  talking about his time at Falkirk or Plymouth, CJ? The lad wasn't deemed fit enough to start last night and I though he accounted for himself reasonably well against Celtic. He won't have trained much last week due to his strain so next to zero partnership stuff with Graham etc.  

 

Agree, i thought he did ok against Celtic. I think it was him that sent a good ball into the Celtic box and Miller hit the post. I think he needs time. And there is the problem we are running out of time and games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, douglas clark said:

May I suggest that our goalkeeper merely stands up, rather that diving right or left? As his anticipation appears to be always wrong, perhaps he should tell his anticipation  that it is always wrong? Standing still might have saved a few more penalties than his current nonsense.

The man needs to break with his beliefs and save at least one penalty, once.

 

It would be better if Fox didn't guess and waited until the penalty taker made his decision where to put the ball then dive. 

It's not going to be any worse than his present stats, he may in fact more of the poorly taken and 'cute' penalties and look less of a fool repeatedly diving in the wrong direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Not sure if your post is a general comment or one specifically aimed at Rudden's performance last night! Though previous posts have been positive about Rudden but last night I thought he didn't look fit and his movement seemed restricted. 

On a more general point one of my frustrations with Thistle this season has been that the players alway seen to be slow to start moving to the ball and rarely anticipating the pass or second ball. 

It was refreshing to see Graham run to get to the back post to be there just in case a ball arrived there. This gave him the extra yard on the defender and made the goal an easy tap in! 

Well done to Graham and I hope the other players noted his anticipation and movement. 

 

46 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Are you  talking about his time at Falkirk or Plymouth, CJ? The lad wasn't deemed fit enough to start last night and I though he accounted for himself reasonably well against Celtic. He won't have trained much last week due to his strain so next to zero partnership stuff with Graham etc.  

 

Have only seen the lad twice to be honest and feel he'll be a good player for us.

Against Celtic I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe he was a yard off against better opposition. He did as AJ states, put a great ball in for KM.

Didn't realise he wasn't fully fit last night but even so, I feel he doesn't set himself properly to receive the ball.

It's as if he's always wrong footed when the ball is played towards him.

I remember hearing that Liverpool players loved King Kenny so much because he made every pass to him look a good one.

Not expecting that level from Rudden, obviously, but I'll be interested to see if he's lighter on his feet when fully fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, laukat said:

Its an interesting projection and you could read it as 40 points is probably safe.

Thistle and Alloa both have 7 home fixture left and only 6 away. Morton have 7 at home and 7 away. QOS have only 6 at home and 9 away. Morton and QOS still have to play 3 games against each other which means at least one of those 2 is going to be sucked in. Morton and Alloa also have to play each other twice so again it limits how far they can get away from the bottom four.

We have Dunfermline, Dundee and ICT to play twice and everyone else once. We picked up 9 out of 18 points against those teams earlier this season and play them all in February so we should get more clues on if we are imrpoved or not after these games.

If I was a QOS fan I would be worried. They've not had a great transfer window as they've lost Brownlie to us at the same time as El Bakhtaoui and McRorie left. Last season they only picked up 8 points after this point in the season. The fixture list has them playing 5 games in 14 days in early March with the middle 3 being away from home. That looks a tough shift for any team and will inevitably make or break their season.

 

 


Good analysis.  
 

I think everyone is going to be sucked in as 4th to 10th , or at least 9th narrows. 
 

I get more optimistic when I look at remaining fixtures. 
 

Two thing a to keep in mind though - 

1 home and away  means nothing in this league, eg no home team won  this weekend (despite 2 of the top 3 playing at home)  

2 the way this league has gone so far, the multiple games certain teams have against eachother also means there is a chance both teams in those sets of fixtures will be picking up points  eg norton v qos - both teams could pick up 4 points from those 3 games  more than 1 point per game   This is why I think we need 20/21 points to be 8th  

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×