Lucky 13 or unlucky 13 ?

Auld Jag

With 13 games to go how many points will Thistle need to get in our remaining league games to finish 8th at worst. McCall's first 13 league games in charge took us up to January , in those 13 games we got 19 points. Since he managed to do that with a squad of players he didn't seem to rate, going by the amount who left Firhill in the window. Should we expect more than 19 points in the remaining 13 league games? We are 2 points behind Alloa who are 9th and played the same amount of games as us. The next teams who have played the same amount of games as us are Dunfermline and Arbroath  who are 8 points ahead of us. Imo we need at least 19 points from the remaining league games to be 8th.

We've amassed 15 points from our last 13 games. We *need* to be much better. 

Last season, it was our form in January/February, plus a late flourish, that saved us. We've racked up 2 points since the turn of the year.

Looking to last season again, our last 13 games, which coincided with McDonald signing, yielded 21 points.

Edited by Dark Passenger
  • Like 1

Depends how the fixtures fall season to season - there are 5 games around mid March to early April which will be season defining I as sure. All should be winnable, and four are probably '6 pointers'. 

Alloa (h)

Ayr (a)

Morton (h)

Arbroath (h)

QOS (a)

• Like 1

There's no sign of any of the clubs above us being on a downward spiral.  For us to escape (finish in 8th place) we've gotta more or less do it all on our own. 

I don't spend much time studying the league table apart from looking at our own predicament. Even so the same amount of points we reckon we need to stay just above 9th place could be enough, with a completely logical set of results elsewhere, to see us in 4th place.  I'm more glass half empty tonight but I can understand how others can still feel optimistic.

Put another way with the exceptions of results involving Dundee Utd and Alloa I haven't a clue amongst the other seven of our opponents who I want to see win or lose. It's all up to us.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Just now, Auld Jag said:

We need to go on a run of winning games, not just drawing a few. 

So true. With regard to what I posted earlier, if we don't know who our bottom of the division competitors will be (Alloa excepted) we don't know which games are 6 pointers and which games where a draw will end up being seen as a decent point.  

As AJ says QOS look on a sticky patch plus Morton have signed McGinty.  That’s my hope for a 8th placed finish.  Tis a crazy league for example i have noticed the media change week to week on Dunfermline being relegation candidates to being Promotion hopefuls.  Cliche time but every game is now a 6 pointer.  Win at Dens we go 4 points behind Dundee, lose and they open up a 10point gap on us.

7 hours ago, elevenone said:

As AJ says QOS look on a sticky patch plus Morton have signed McGinty.  That’s my hope for a 8th placed finish.  Tis a crazy league for example i have noticed the media change week to week on Dunfermline being relegation candidates to being Promotion hopefuls.  Cliche time but every game is now a 6 pointer.  Win at Dens we go 4 points behind Dundee, lose and they open up a 10point gap on us.

Oh for the giddy heights of the media changing their view of us week to week!!!!

That aside, agree with the substance of your post  

I think we have to hold our nerve to an extent. I don't think our squad is weaker than last year and we have a more pragmatic manager. The league is very similar to last year, and an overall poor standard. 8 points currently separating 4th-10th. We are able to win any match, home and away. 

It's been another dismal, dreadful season but our support, as always, is second to none and were great last season as well when called upon. We are more than capable of surviving this season again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, milhouse said:

I think we have to hold our nerve to an extent. I don't think our squad is weaker than last year and we have a more pragmatic manager. The league is very similar to last year, and an overall poor standard. 8 points currently separating 4th-10th. We are able to win any match, home and away. 

It's been another dismal, dreadful season but our support, as always, is second to none and were great last season as well when called upon. We are more than capable of surviving this season again.

Pretty much how I feel. The difference is we have had a very poor january compared to last, so I can understand a bit of a panic from some. Just a thought but maybe the club should fund some free buses for the away games coming up? 

I find all this speculation about what we need to do to stay in this league interesting, honest I really do! 

I agree that generally and excepting a catastrophic collapse we can ignore Dundee Utd  as they will most likely  beat nearly every other team. 

For the rest everyone can beat everyone else! So what do we have to do. Well, sorry to be boring and perhaps stating the obvious. but we need to focus on our own efforts by  taking one game at a time, selecting the right team, getting the tactics correct and then do everything we can to win the game. No more not turning up performances. 

I think if we do this we can look at the table at the end of the season and see a Thistle team sitting somewhere above 9th with around 40 - 44pts. 

Then for next season we get ready for the big promotion push back to the SPL with an effective (summer) transfer window...................... or am I dreaming!! 

Agree with above post but add that Dundee Utd will be there for the beating as well. Especially once they've won the league. Every week there's at least one but often a couple of fixtures we're not involved in where I've no idea who I want to see win. No team is in free fall, which makes it all the harder for us to get out of the bottom two.  That being the case we've just got to hope when we do drop points they're not ultimately too costly.