Dundee vs Partick Thistle - 6 pinter?

jagfox

16 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

McCall has had a good look at Fox and Sneddon since taking over, so there's a reason why Fox is the current number one. You're reading too much into selective quotes in a newspaper interview. In my experience, on and off the pitch, every goalkeeper, Scott Fox included, detests losing goals. You bloody well know about it when they do.

Also, where is your evidence to back up the bit in bold? 

He is a professional footballer, therefore he is paid for his services - win, draw or lose!

Body language when he concedes a goal gives me the impression that he is not to perturbed! - No pride! 

He is not alone here, the squad in general seem to lack any pride in their performances, the jersey or how the fans feel!

No leadership, not only in the six yard box, but across the team as a whole! We need a leader, a true captain on the park, who can get angry, cajole and encourage his team mates to perform on the day!

The list of reasons why I am genuinely concerned that we are stumbling towards League 1 is a long one, and I wonder if this situation could be reversed in the next 12 games? You have to remember, prior to Saturday Dundee FC were a team devoid of hope and had been playing utter sh*t until yesterday's game. It appears we cannot beat either the 'no-hoper' teams [the two part timers, QOS, Morton and Dunfermline], or teams that are suffering a slump in form …. I would hazard a guess that PTFC are the Championship team that is the out and out 'no-hoper' team, and coincidently we are the  'no-hoper' team who is also having a slump in form!  

A few of the  problems I can see in the next few weeks and months [basically some random thoughts from a depressed PTFC fan]:-

Problem 1) We will have a 'working group' that has no real numbers related to possible income from a team of Thistle's size playing in the seaside league, so a task that was already difficult due to the short timespan to have it completed, becomes a document [or an agreement on a way forward] with multiple unknown factors and unknown variables.

Problem 2) We will lose any travelling support. The trips to Arbroath and Dundee have knocked much of the optimism out of  the support. Who really wants to get in their car for a 3 hour trip to Inverness to watch a team devoid of passion and desire to win?

Problem 3) We have become an easy team to beat. The coaches in the other Championship sides will watch the videos of our games and will see the problems we have with a static goalkeeper and a defence that play as individuals rather than as a team. If we actually do have one clean sheet for the rest of this season I will be pleasantly surprised.

Lots of fair points being made by others in recent posts. 

Some of us are crazy and undiscerning enough to turn up to every away game regardless of recent performances, and in general we have been better rewarded  than the long suffering regular home support in the past few lean seasons, with some cracking victories, including Dundee (last time round), Inverness and Queen of the South this season. But I can fully appreciate that anyone who travels with some element of expectation of victory or even of a decent performance will find it difficult to pick up the car keys or head to the train station or the bus stop!

One small element of analysis to add to what others have said. For whatever reason, in the past few games Reece Cole has been much less prominent and effective than previously in all the elements of his game that made such a positive impression:

1) Forward passes from midfield, finding runners.

2) Being the runner himself, whom others find.

3) Shooting from 20-30 yards out, including free kicks, either scoring himself or enabling others to score from rebounds/deflections.

Why has he almost disappeared from view and what can be done to restore him to maximum effectiveness? I think that this may be the key to our survival.

Edited by partickthedog
grammar!

2 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Lots of fair points being made by others in recent posts. 

Some of us are crazy and undiscerning enough to turn up to every away game regardless of recent performances, and in general we have been better rewarded  than the long suffering regular home support in the past few lean seasons, with some cracking victories, including Dundee (last time round), Inverness and Queen of the South this season. But I can fully appreciate that anyone who travels with some element of expectation of victory or even of a decent performance will find it difficult to pick up the car keys or head to the train station or the bus stop!

One small element of analysis to add to what others have said. For whatever reason, in the past few games Reece Cole has been much less prominent and effective than previously in all the elements of his game that made such a positive impression:

1) Forward passes from midfield, finding runners.

2) Being the runner himself, whom others find.

3) Shooting from 20-30 yards out, including free kicks, either scoring himself or enabling others to score from rebounds/deflections.

Why has he almost disappeared from view and what can be done to restore him to maximum effectiveness? I think that this may be the key to our survival.

i was thinking exactly the same yesterday   Our midfield all look similar to me.  Lacking pace and attacking intent. 
I really liked cole but yesterday I was thinking he needs a rest. Problem is there is no pressure on his place. Barjonas looks average. 

re cole

i agree that he has been disappointing in recent games.  But why do we have him taking free kicks in our own half and especially corner kicks. Surely at corner kicks, cole who has a tremendous shot should be positioned outsjde the goal area waiting for clearances  

what happened to mckinnon yesterday not even on bench

Edited by watties wallies
mckinnon

3 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

re cole

i agree that he has been disappointing in recent games.  But why do we have him taking free kicks in our own half and especially corner kicks. Surely at corner kicks, cole who has a tremendous shot should be positioned outsjde the goal area waiting for clearances  

I believe McKinnon was injured in training. 

24 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

re cole

i agree that he has been disappointing in recent games.  But why do we have him taking free kicks in our own half and especially corner kicks. Surely at corner kicks, cole who has a tremendous shot should be positioned outside the goal area waiting for clearances  

That's a very good point about where Cole should be stationed, especially at corners. His delivery from them is not so especially good that he needs to be taking them. 

When Penrice first came on the scene, his deadball delivery was excellent. Surely that can be revived, and perhaps others have the ability, if given the chance.

I would also agree with giving Sneddon a run in goals.

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

First thing I would do is change Fox with Sneddon.

Our defense is poor, doesn’t seem to be controlled from behind.
Fox no longer commands his box,  so effectively we need an extra defender covering corners and free kicks as he won’t come for them.

Totally agree, as did everyone round about me yesterday.

The thing is I think any difference between Fox and Sneddon is marginal, but at least playing Sneddon, there is a chance he can improve

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jaf said:

Totally agree, as did everyone round about me yesterday.

The thing is I think any difference between Fox and Sneddon is marginal, but at least playing Sneddon, there is a chance he can improve

It also sends a message that you need to compete for your place. Fox seems wrongly untouchable and that must affect his desire 

6 hours ago, thru thin and thin said:

No leadership, not only in the six yard box, but across the team as a whole! We need a leader, a true captain on the park, who can get angry, cajole and encourage his team mates to perform on the day!

I guess that was why we signed MacKinnon. And yes, the jury is taking its time reaching a verdict.