McCall

Garscube Road End

3 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I agree to an extent. What I would say though is having a woman's team in not why we are bottom of the division. Having 100 vulnerable people in on Christmas Day is not why we are bottom either. It could be argued that other areas are performing well whilst the area we all see - the first team are not. One of the things I like about the concept of fan ownership is that we know a lot of the areas that need improved in and around the club whilst directors who have come from afar don't.

I agree with you to an extent Martin. 

The charitable trust that does a lot of the good stuff, has the right distance between the club to still be effective yet close enough to still be connected. I’d say this is the greatest (off-field) Thistle thing in years

The woman’s team whilst I support, I fear at times were trying to be too much to too many whilst we have so little resources. Rather we are a success at 1 or 2 key areas, than be mediocre at 10 areas

I can see your point with fans on the board but again (as with both trusts) cliques are likely to appear and certain groups benefiting whilst others are ignored 

24 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

McColl is a decent manager the problem is we’ve became a basket case of a club.

2 1/2 years of downward spiral on the park

1 1/2 years of off field shenanigans with questionable decisions, statements and priorities.

The whole club needs an overhaul from top to bottom, become 1st and foremost about being a football club that concentrates on winning games with the 1st team, drop the nepotism, be professional and if need be ruthless.

These assertions are great but don’t really get us anywhere.....so very specifically what would you do and how would it help us win football matches 

3 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I agree with you to an extent Martin. 

The charitable trust that does a lot of the good stuff, has the right distance between the club to still be effective yet close enough to still be connected. I’d say this is the greatest (off-field) Thistle thing in years

The woman’s team whilst I support, I fear at times were trying to be too much to too many whilst we have so little resources. Rather we are a success at 1 or 2 key areas, than be mediocre at 10 areas

I can see your point with fans on the board but again (as with both trusts) cliques are likely to appear and certain groups benefiting whilst others are ignored 

Just have us two running the club as we seem to be the only two fans who can agree on anything!

The idea that the club is rotten from top to bottom is the easy cop out when you cant explain why things are going wrong. There were clearly decent funds given to McCall for January transfers and on paper a solid management team was appointed- don't think many jags fans disagreed with this at the time. Though suprised McCall took on so many loan players-these guys don't have a stake in the club and not what you need in a relegation dogfight. Morale is clearly low, there's a losing mentallity. Would like to see McCall see out the season and sure he can turn it around. 

26 minutes ago, javeajag said:

These assertions are great but don’t really get us anywhere.....so very specifically what would you do and how would it help us win football matches 

Concentrate all effort on 1st team and 1st team core support.

Once that’s sorted, sustainable or growing then slowly bring new things in.

So many companies (including successful ones) fail by diversifying to much whilst taking their eye and resources of the core product and disengaging with the baseload business 

• Like 1

Just under three years ago I sat in pretty much the same seat at Dens and watched a good thistle team comfortably beat Dundee and take a big step toward the top six. The difference between that team and today’s is incredible and makes it all the harder to take. 

however I don’t really buy the cronyism stuff- a couple of the folks still involved now were responsible for the building of the top six side.  we are a small club with limited resources. Our ability to attract staff is therefore also limited. McCall is a decent manager for this level and he needs time but on the basis of the first few outings of his new team, some of his decisions seem questionable. We just don’t create enough chances to win games. Got to hope Rudden gets fit quickly and makes a big impact, otherwise seaside leagues here we come..

1 minute ago, ironfist said:

however I don’t really buy the cronyism stuff- a couple of the folks still involved now were responsible for the building of the top six side. 

And are therefore culpable for the dramatic fall since then and the situation we are currently in.

40 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Concentrate all effort on 1st team and 1st team core support.

Once that’s sorted, sustainable or growing then slowly bring new things in.

So many companies (including successful ones) fail by diversifying to much whilst taking their eye and resources of the core product and disengaging with the baseload business 

Tbh that’s still very general and vague .....if you mean stop the academy , the charitable trust and women’s team say so but then show how they are affecting the teams poor results and stopping them will help

were nit really a business that’s diversifying in the sense you mean 

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Tbh that’s still very general and vague .....if you mean stop the academy , the charitable trust and women’s team say so but then show how they are affecting the teams poor results and stopping them will help

were nit really a business that’s diversifying in the sense you mean 

Nothing should be spent on these other ventures. All money available should be spent on playing budget for the first team.

24 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Nothing should be spent on these other ventures. All money available should be spent on playing budget for the first team.

Ok ....exactly how much money is the club spending in them ? If you know say so if you don’t admit it ..... because they are nit diverting anything significant from the first team as witnessed by 8 players coming in in January 

It must be a frightening figure that we have laid out over the past couple of seasons to both players and managerial staff to get rid off them. This is one of the reasons i think even if we did go down, the manager wouldn't be sacked. I think he would be given the chance to bring us back up in one season. A slow start to the league season i feel would be very costly to McCall if indeed we do go down. Lets hope it doesn't come to that.

• Like 1

Most of the people whinging about McCall are the same people who wanted most of the players he's got rid of gone.

He has clearly seen that some of the players who most of us have agreed upon weren't doing enough and or weren't good enough. 

He has tried to put a team together in a January transfer window that is an improvement.  He has also tried to plan ahead by getting players on pre contracts 

This is mostly his team now and he will live or die by it but they have been together 2 weeks. 

If we don't get a big reaction next week then i will be very worried.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Most of the people whinging about McCall are the same people who wanted most of the players he's got rid of gone.

He has clearly seen that some of the players who most of us have agreed upon weren't doing enough and or weren't good enough. 

He has tried to put a team together in a January transfer window that is an improvement.  He has also tried to plan ahead by getting players on pre contracts 

This is mostly his team now and he will live or die by it but they have been together 2 weeks. 

If we don't get a big reaction next week then i will be very worried.

It's clearly not a team. It's a collection of players. Lost count of the number of misunderstandings between players long before the first half was over. Making three formation changes today won't exactly have helped speed the learning process along. The Raith game gives us a free opportunity to get these guys playing as a team. 

As  you  all know Sabbath is a Jackie Mac man. that being said, I'm 100% behind McCall even if or when, to be more realistic we go down. This is an all hands to the pump time. Alarm bells were ringing right from the start with Caldwell, the one thing that save us and him was he signing of McDonald. Its not easy when your time is limited to build a team from scratch, and time is the one thing we don't have. We are where we are because the Clown before Caldwell destroyed the team and like an Albatross he still haunts Firhill. But  hey hoo Beachballs at the ready.....   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

Is part of the football club's revenue being diverted into these ventures?

Is part of our limited resources being used on areas that would be better served concentrating on 1st team and experience behind that?

We run as many initiatives/groups/teams as a top 4 club, yet we are (fan base size) maybe 12th in the country.

How many of these directly benefit the 1st team or the fans that attend either through bringing in more fans or cash?

We have 3 fans groups (JT, PT trust, Working group), lots of teams, business clubs, various other clubs and initiatives. Yet put content of the main one behind a paywall with the main payable content (live commentary) being haphazard at best most weeks (that’s not a slight on the commentators who I think do a decent job) cutting out or just not working. 

In my view are we spreading ourselves (fans, staff & maybe cash) too thin?

Im not sure if this is the issue, but something has caused a catastrophic free fall in 3 years.