McCall

Garscube Road End

there has been no evidence I’ve seen that shows any connection between anything outside the first team and their performances on the park 

our board appoint the manager and give him resources to build a team that’s pretty much their role 

they appointed McCall to pretty much universal acclaim and have let him bring in 8 players that he choose not them 

yet apparently it’s having a woman’s team that’s the problem or two supporters trusts or a charitable trust ( nit that we had them the last time we went to div 1)

that is just bizarre : It’s the manager and the players ffs 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, javeajag said:

there has been no evidence I’ve seen that shows any connection between anything outside the first team and their performances on the park 

our board appoint the manager and give him resources to build a team that’s pretty much their role 

they appointed McCall to pretty much universal acclaim and have let him bring in 8 players that he choose not them 

yet apparently it’s having a woman’s team that’s the problem or two supporters trusts or a charitable trust ( nit that we had them the last time we went to div 1)

It all adds to some of the car crashes we’ve had over last few years as we are trying to do too much with too little and not getting them right.

Like it or not we are a medium (getting smaller) sized club, yet we are trying to do all the things large clubs do. 

Do less but get them right and the malcontent lowers. Fans feel more connected with club and a little of the feel good returns.

By doing more and getting more wrong, it adds to the grumbling increasing the negativity that should only come from performances on the park.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

It all adds to some of the car crashes we’ve had over last few years as we are trying to do too much with too little and not getting them right.

Like it or not we are a medium (getting smaller) sized club, yet we are trying to do all the things large clubs do. 

Do less but get them right and the malcontent lowers. Fans feel more connected with club and a little of the feel good returns.

By doing more and getting more wrong, it adds to the grumbling increasing the negativity that should only come from performances on the park.

Do less what ? You say this and provide no evidence of any causality ? What getting more wrong ?

the grumbling is because of poor performances on the park not  the women’s team 

I felt no confidence at all that things would get any better when Caldwell was given the job and nothing he did disabused me of that fact. As soon as McCall got the job, I was certain that things would get better. Yesterday was mince and I'm as concerned as any other fan but I'd much rather have McCall try to find a way out of this than Caldwell or most of the other candidates who were mentioned after Caldwell got the boot. McCall has, imo, correctly identified and quickly shifted out the players who most needed to be gone. He's completed a transfer window which appears to have been mostly positive and has a plan for going forward. Does that make yesterday any better? Nope, but it still gives me hope.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Do less what ? You say this and provide no evidence of any causality ? What getting more wrong ?

the grumbling is because of poor performances on the park not  the women’s team 

Oh there are grumbles about the womans team, the academy and so much more. As a club we need to get back to concentrating on the bread and butter and that is the first team. The others are nice to have's but not essentials and the constant harping on about a womans team that brings us no benefit or an academy where we don't bring players through we send them out on loan to then free them is just baffling. All efforts and publicity should be the 1st team. Get that right and then we can have the rest.

Edited by Pinhead

3 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Having a paid for service that doesn’t work as it should adds to the discontent around the fanbase, especially as clubs our size are offering better services for free

Obviously the paywall isn't the main reason that the team are under performing, however it's symptomatic of the general malaise a lot of fans are feeling which Norge identifies better than I can.

I was a season ticket holder for 6 years, but sat this season out due to the Caldwell factor and personal reasons. Like many of us, I've also spent a lot on sponsorship, merch etc over the years.

Can it be right that I have to rely on other clubs releasing free highlights (when available) as well as Camallians footage (which I'm very grateful for) just to see our goals?

It does leave me feeling left out somewhat. Yes I could pay for Jagzone, but as well as not agreeing with this I have had a poor experience in the past.

I'm all for any club initiative or project, open to all is a fantastic ethos to have. For me though there is a lack of overall cohesion and direction in the club at the moment. Probably to be expected given the rollercoaster of events over the last few years. Perhaps  fan ownership will sort this, I don't know.

To finish on topic, I believe McCall should be given time to develop the team, even if we go down this year.  I still hope and believe he has it in him to turn things round this season though.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

I think that perhaps the beginning of our decline started with the board at the time failing to take decisive action in sacking Archie early in the season after our top 6 finish. Since then, we have had a period of boardroom politics. They have been focused on their own positions and not giving enough attention to the football.

20 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think that perhaps the beginning of our decline started with the board at the time failing to take decisive action in sacking Archie early in the season after our top 6 finish. 

I'd agree Archie should've been sacked earlier than he was. But I very much doubt that many would have been of that opinion early in yon season. We had started about every season poorly, gaining momentum. As was the case with our best season.  Also at the time we had a number of injuries most of us thought would make a major difference on return. In hindsight I believe the first time the Board/Maxwell could've/should've acted would have been around Feb/Mar '18.

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Oh there are grumbles about the womans team, the academy and so much more. As a club we need to get back to concentrating on the bread and butter and that is the first team. The others are nice to have's but not essentials and the constant harping on about a womans team that brings us no benefit or an academy where we don't bring players through we send them out on loan to then free them is just baffling. All efforts and publicity should be the 1st team. Get that right and then we can have the rest.

What’s has the first team not  got ? A manager, two assistants, a gk coach, sports science and a turnover of players that’s quite large ! How much time is that lot spending on the women’s team or the academy.....none 

54 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think that perhaps the beginning of our decline started with the board at the time failing to take decisive action in sacking Archie early in the season after our top 6 finish. Since then, we have had a period of boardroom politics. They have been focused on their own positions and not giving enough attention to the football.

Ok....can you me some examples of what you mean as I genuinely don’t know what boardroom politics you are referring and how has that affected us winning football matches ?

We've gone backwards since May 2018 when Gerry Britton was appointed  permanent Chief Executive.

Since then we're on our third manager and sit bottom of the league. Coincidence?

I appreciate there are many issues for the miasma around the club. 

An interim board waiting on a fans working group isn't providing the leadership or direction needed at this time.

I want McCall to succeed but questions need to be ask. 

Personally I'm not sure what Scally and Archibald bring as assistant managers?

On field we are still making basic errors, conceding goals from corner kicks and the chances seem to be drying up.

At least McCall has stated the target is 8th place but we need a massive uplift in performance and effort to reach that lowly yet vital goal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'd agree Archie should've been sacked earlier than he was. But I very much doubt that many would have been of that opinion early in yon season. We had started about every season poorly, gaining momentum. As was the case with our best season.  Also at the time we had a number of injuries most of us thought would make a major difference on return. In hindsight I believe the first time the Board/Maxwell could've/should've acted would have been around Feb/Mar '18.

I thought Archie should have been sacked after Kilmarnock beat us at Firhill with their youth coach in charge. I think this was round about September / October 2017. After that we then went on our best run of that season. But we then fell away again after the Winter break. The rest as they is history.

• Like 1

Interesting post on P and B about McCall from Ayr fan

McCall had much more of a yo-yo time at Ayr than people think.  His first season he made seriously heavy weather of avoiding relegation to league 2 after coming in mid season and  signing 5/6 players.  2nd season we got promoted through the playoffs but were largely awful to watch and  were horribly ill prepared for the championship...3rd season was a horror show from start to relegation.  

I’d have booted him, but the board backed him with full time football for the first time in over a decade.  4th season was Shankland time and we won the league despite the defence and goalkeeper being consistently hopeless.  5th season was superb until Christmas when we disintegrated to the point of losing to Talbot in the cup.  Obviously this season he decided we couldn’t meet his ambitions anymore and so walked away.

8 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Can you give specific examples to support this claim .....8 new players in January not enough ?

Thats not leadership. Who made the decisions? Gerry Britton, Ian McCall?

Please give examples of communications from the interim board over the last couple of months?

Be very specific.

11 minutes ago, dibble said:

Interesting post on P and B about McCall from Ayr fan

McCall had much more of a yo-yo time at Ayr than people think.  His first season he made seriously heavy weather of avoiding relegation to league 2 after coming in mid season and  signing 5/6 players.  2nd season we got promoted through the playoffs but were largely awful to watch and  were horribly ill prepared for the championship...3rd season was a horror show from start to relegation.  

I’d have booted him, but the board backed him with full time football for the first time in over a decade.  4th season was Shankland time and we won the league despite the defence and goalkeeper being consistently hopeless.  5th season was superb until Christmas when we disintegrated to the point of losing to Talbot in the cup.  Obviously this season he decided we couldn’t meet his ambitions anymore and so walked away.

Interesting. I notice they ignore the majority of good things McCall did for them. Like bringing in young players/players who had not done well elsewhere, took them to the promotion play off last season and when he left them this season they were in the top 3. Sounds very bitter imo. Lets hope McCall lives up to the faith that most of us had in him when he was appointed.

41 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Thats not leadership. Who made the decisions? Gerry Britton, Ian McCall?

Please give examples of communications from the interim board over the last couple of months?

Be very specific.

So if the board communicated more we would win more football matches ?.....you think the board tell McCall which players to bring in ?! No they provide funding ( leadership is a very unspecific general term )......if we win our next couple of games is that down to the board or the manager ?