McCall

Garscube Road End

31 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

I've long argued that, given our unpredictability, the manager is a luxury we could dispense with.  Instead allow the team to be selected by the winner of a half time draw a week or so earlier. 

Or we could put an envelope on every seat and ask the fans to select the team for next game...

On 2/9/2020 at 8:37 PM, Norgethistle said:

Brian Kerr bringing his best mate Gary Harkins in even though he was finished (2nd top earner)

Gary Caldwell bringing his best mate Kenny Miller in (Top earner)

Board bringing Alan Rough in who’s always been more publicly interested in Celtic than us

Gerry Britton having almost every role at the club and apart from Striker not being great at any

I see your point and when you don't feel that these people have added value then I understand your frustration.  

However, we tend to be happy to accept 'contacts' that a manager pulls on when, in our opinion, things turn out for the better.  Scott McDonald saved our season and he wouldn't have darkened our doorstep without a hint of nepotism.  Only Lambie could have convinced his own prodigal son, Chick, to return to Firhill.

...and ...I won't hear a word said about Gerry's daughter who is a star performer in the pie stall and if it wasn't for Gerry getting on extremely well with her mother we'd never have had a snowballs chance of signing her!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlgarveJag said:

I see your point and when you don't feel that these people have added value then I understand your frustration.  

However, we tend to be happy to accept 'contacts' that a manager pulls on when, in our opinion, things turn out for the better.  Scott McDonald saved our season and he wouldn't have darkened our doorstep without a hint of nepotism.  Only Lambie could have convinced his own prodigal son, Chick, to return to Firhill.

...and ...I won't hear a word said about Gerry's daughter who is a star performer in the pie stall and if it wasn't for Gerry getting on extremely well with her mother we'd never have had a snowballs chance of signing her!

Is she the one that can add up?

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2020 at 7:56 PM, Norgethistle said:

McColl is a decent manager the problem is we’ve became a basket case of a club.

2 1/2 years of downward spiral on the park

1 1/2 years of off field shenanigans with questionable decisions, statements and priorities.

The whole club needs an overhaul from top to bottom, become 1st and foremost about being a football club that concentrates on winning games with the 1st team, drop the nepotism, be professional and if need be ruthless.

Totally agree with the above.

A football club like Thistle should be playing in the middle section of the SPL! I mean somewhere between 6th & 9th. To do that we need to have a stable core of players in the team and on the bench with new signings made when necessary. We also need a steady flow of good young players coming through from the Academy. 

We will never achieve the above by off loading 7/8 players and signing a similar number every transfer window. 

All the off-field 'shenanigans' and decisions have created serious levels of instability and this has impacted on the playing side as well in the form of a lack stability, confidence and team cohesion or if preferred, togetherness. 

From being confident in December that we could stay up I am now not so sure. 

I do though have every confidence that McCall. Given the time, can sort us out but have said previously he might not be able to do it quickly enough to stay in this division. 

We badly need stability in our club. I would hate to count the number of players who have come and gone since relegation from the SPL - 50, more???

Call me old fashioned but with the rate of change in the number of players I find it difficult to have the level of empathy with the team that I used to enjoy! 

Bring back the old days of a settled team! 

• Like 2

OK, playing between 6th and 9th in the top tier is something the Club should be aspiring to, and thus geared that way. But historically that would be fighting above our weight. It doesn't help our cause that the top division cut off is 10th/11th place. I'm fairly sure in a normal sized league if we finished in 11th/12th place and clear of the relegation area we'd be looking back at a rather disappointing season instead of what today would be considered disastrous.

Been discussed in the Yo-Yo thread but even with clubs that can be considered 6th-9th quality it doesn't take that much to drop a few places, and out the top tier entirely with all that entails. In a larger sized league, say 16 clubs, it would be unacceptable for our Club to drop into the 2nd tier and every season we failed to return would be even more unacceptable.

I think LIB that you've missed the gist  of Exiledjags'  post.  He was commenting on the need to get the Club management fundmentals sorted (with which I wholeheartedly agree).  The team and playing side cannot flourish, and importantly stabilise, unless and until that is sorted.

2 hours ago, eljaggo said:

I think LIB that you've missed the gist  of Exiledjags'  post.  He was commenting on the need to get the Club management fundmentals sorted (with which I wholeheartedly agree).  The team and playing side cannot flourish, and importantly stabilise, unless and until that is sorted.

:thumbsup2:

I agreed with most of the post and sorry, should've said so. Just thought Exiledjag was setting the bar a bit high re the 6th-9th bit.

Well. I'm afraid McCall is proving to be a fraud. We are worse than we were under Caldwell. He gives contract extensions to O'Wate, Bannigan and Penrice. An utter disgrace. He saw what our problems were and he hasn't scratched the surface of sorting out. Hopefully he will have the grace to walk away and take his pals Archibald, Britton and the three named players with him. And a few more guys on the park as well. An absolute bunch of wage thiefs.

Edited by Garscube Road End

McCall rightly so built up a very good reputation for what he managed to do with Ayr. If we stay up , his reputation will still be good, but will have a lot more focus on him next season. If we go down his reputation will take a hit and if we were not to come straight back up from league 1 it would be severely dented. 

Can’t really understand McCall’s mentality in sticking with Fox regardless of the obvious fact we are incapable of retaining a clean sheet.IMHO he should have used last nights game as a write off with Championship survival as the prize and experimented with  Sneddon in goals, dropped and obviously under par Cole and given Graham more assist options earlier on .

Edited by Anniesland Jag

Think McCall believes his on hype. We were a better team before the break no doubts. He thought that by making lots of changes he could pull off a miracle and make the play offs.  Losing miller has been bad as his experience and link up play we can now see was important . Losing kakay was also a blow. I posted during the window was a big risk making so many changes.    No one hear is going to tell me letting slater go was also not a huge mistake. The game last night was crying out for someone like him and replacing him with some old firm reserve oh dear. Our midfield passing was dreadful .