McCall

Garscube Road End

1 hour ago, Kingleo said:

I personally know no one who watches the women’s fitba. What sort of crowds do the thistle ladies team get? Family members I would guess and that’s it. Like women’s golf what’s the point of it?

women’s football is in the up......our women’s team actually win games 

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/wsl-attendance-record-arsenal-tottenham-hotspur-stadium

6 hours ago, javeajag said:

Ah relegation under a board you like is ok 

A club our size and statue will be relegated from top tier from time to time, historically we’ve spread our time between top and second division. We have though only been relegation twice to third tier. So going down this season is against the grain and would be a disaster. So yes it’s worse.

Especially as we now (apparently) have all the infrastructure of a “big” club 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

A club our size and statue will be relegated from top tier from time to time, historically we’ve spread our time between top and second division. We have though only been relegation twice to third tier. So going down this season is against the grain and would be a disaster. So yes it’s worse.

Ahem.... Don't mention the stadium.

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Yes I said that earlier ... the only difference is you accept relegation from the premier more easily than I do .... avoiding that and we would not be where we are today and Beattie is responsible for that 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Yes I said that earlier ... the only difference is you accept relegation from the premier more easily than I do .... avoiding that and we would not be where we are today and Beattie is responsible for that 

Yet you accept a poor board in place with all the implications that brings. We have had poor boards, most notably Save The Jags and selling the likes of Harkins  to survive.

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Relegation from the top tier maybe has the effect of a kick in the proverbials. However for Thistle as a club, hanging around the 11th -13th ratings is hardly a novelty. Put another way, we've often found ourselves with around a dozen clubs ahead of ourselves. Getting relegated from a top division of 12 was of course bad and yes, probably avoidable, but from a historical prospective hardly a surprise and can hardly be termed anything approaching abject failure. To do so would be seriously undermining the achievement of our 12/13 promotion squad. 

What is unacceptable is what has happened to the Club on the pitch since. Using the same historical criteria, ending up last season as 18th top club in Scotland and currently finding ourselves in 22nd place is atrocious.  True, Beattie may have been in charge at the start of the slide but he was largely absent during the nosedive from disappointing status to disgraceful status.  It's this period in the Club's recent history that requires the lion's share of scrutiny.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Beattie may have been in charge at the start of the slide but he was largely absent during the nosedive from disappointing status to disgraceful status.  It's this period in the Club's recent history that requires the lion's share of scrutiny.

The start of the slide is the cause of everything that comes after which was avoidable ....it’s the reason we are where we are 

24 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The start of the slide is the cause of everything that comes after which was avoidable ....it’s the reason we are where we are 

No it’s not. A good management team at board level would be able to stop the slide given nearly 2 years to do this.  Our demise is currently accelerating.

Our statue in Scottish football is somewhere between 8th and 14th in terms of size, wealth and resources. We are currently 22nd heading for 23rd or worse. 

• Like 2

Lets be honest. Since we finished top 6, we have had 4 boardrooms. Beatie & Co, JLo & Co, Beatie & Co Mk2, Interim board. That is more changes of boardroom than changes of manager, and we have a 5th in the pipeline. None of them have covered themselves in glory. To suggest that certain board members should be thanked for what they did in this period is quite frankly ludicrous.

At best you could say that Beatie took his eye off the ball when blinded by the light of cash that he may or may not have been expecting to see again, however I would suggest that there is incompetence across the lot of them.  I only hope that the fan run board, who ever they are has some plan to get us out of this mess. I am no fan of McCall, but there is no point in making any managerial changes until the top level structure of the club is sorted.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

58 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So what is the relevance of this whether it is correct or not.

We are where we are and need to do something to reverse the slide. This  obsession people have with trying to identify exactly when things started to go wrong and who is to blame, baffles me. Surely it is better to focus on trying to put things right rather than  trying to apportion  blame.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Emsca said:

We are where we are and need to do something to reverse the slide. This  obsession people have with trying to identify exactly when things started to go wrong and who is to blame, baffles me. Surely it is better to focus on trying to put things right rather than  trying to apportion  blame.

If people who are largely to blame are currently running the club (even if they are extremely bizarrely not being named as such and are doing so from the shadows, and instead we have a named board that supposedly doesn’t even have a chairperson) then surely it’s only right that questions are asked? You can’t expect to reverse a slide if the people responsible for that slide are charged with reversing it. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

No it’s not. A good management team at board level would be able to stop the slide given nearly 2 years to do this.  Our demise is currently accelerating.

Our statue in Scottish football is somewhere between 8th and 14th in terms of size, wealth and resources. We are currently 22nd heading for 23rd or worse. 

Do we have a good mgt team or not? Your bizarre defending of Beattie is weird he got us relegated but it’s the fault of the people after him ! 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Lets be honest. Since we finished top 6, we have had 4 boardrooms. Beatie & Co, JLo & Co, Beatie & Co Mk2, Interim board. That is more changes of boardroom than changes of manager, and we have a 5th in the pipeline. None of them have covered themselves in glory. To suggest that certain board members should be thanked for what they did in this period is quite frankly ludicrous.

At best you could say that Beatie took his eye off the ball when blinded by the light of cash that he may or may not have been expecting to see again, however I would suggest that there is incompetence across the lot of them.  I only hope that the fan run board, who ever they are has some plan to get us out of this mess. I am no fan of McCall, but there is no point in making any managerial changes until the top level structure of the club is sorted.

Or he was actually at his holiday home .....

2 hours ago, Emsca said:

Sure I agree but if I joined the board a few months ago and looked at where we are I might be a bit miffed at taking abuse for the performance of a team somebody else picked 

33 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Do we have a good mgt team or not? Your bizarre defending of Beattie is weird he got us relegated but it’s the fault of the people after him ! 

Our downward spiral started 33 months ago after top 6.

Beattie has been involved in 16 of the last 33 months (Since Top 6) and had announced he was stepping down prior to relegation. He was only back for 4 months in his 2nd tenure

Yes he was at the helm when we got relegated (from top tier) but he also got us promoted, chaired over our most successful period since the 70’s, reduced the debt, had us running at a profit and invested his own cash on various occasions when no one else would. 

Someone else has been involved in 29 of the last 33 months, either on the board, as chairman or as “owner”.  

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Someone else has been involved in 29 of the last 33 months, either on the board, as chairman or as “owner”.  

That "someone" was also on the board during the top six season and the season immediately prior to that.

She couldn't halt the slide when she took over as chair, and it's my belief that any association with the club, implied or otherwise, is damaging. But to frame your post in a way that suggests she was only here during the bad times is disingenuous.

5 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

If people who are largely to blame are currently running the club (even if they are extremely bizarrely not being named as such and are doing so from the shadows, and instead we have a named board that supposedly doesn’t even have a chairperson) then surely it’s only right that questions are asked? You can’t expect to reverse a slide if the people responsible for that slide are charged with reversing it. 

Fair point.

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

Sure I agree but if I joined the board a few months ago and looked at where we are I might be a bit miffed at taking abuse for the performance of a team somebody else picked 

If you are that sensitive to criticism then its maybe best you don't join the board.

There has to be some continuity or are you suggesting that you  only change the structure / personnel on the Board if the whole Board resigns on mass and a completely new board is appointed?  After all it would'nt be fair on the new board member to be saddled with and blamed for the decisions of a previous board of which he/ she was not a member.!!

Apportioning the blame for the precipitous fall since our top six finish is clearly a tricky exercise given the number of suspects. 

However what concerns me is the process by which the Club's ownership is resolved.   Correct me if I am wrong, but the reporting of Colin Weir's statements last year referred to his intention to transfer shares to a fan owned club should that arrangement meet with his approval.  That approval now rests with Jacqui Low, who is the sole director of Three Black Cats following Colin Weir's death last December, and who now controls, by my estimate, 82% of the Club's shares.

I hope the working groups come up with the goods.  

There is little doubt that team performance is being adversely affected by the uncertainty surrounding the Club.  The sooner this is resolved the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1