McCall

Garscube Road End

48 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

That approval now rests with Jacqui Low, who is the sole director of Three Black Cats following Colin Weir's death last December, and who now controls, by my estimate, 82% of the Club's shares.

Has that not effectively circumvented everything that was set up post Save The Jags to ensure shares had a maximum amount that one person could own?

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Our downward spiral started 33 months ago after top 6.

Beattie has been involved in 16 of the last 33 months (Since Top 6) and had announced he was stepping down prior to relegation. He was only back for 4 months in his 2nd tenure

Yes he was at the helm when we got relegated (from top tier) but he also got us promoted, chaired over our most successful period since the 70’s, reduced the debt, had us running at a profit and invested his own cash on various occasions when no one else would. 

Someone else has been involved in 29 of the last 33 months, either on the board, as chairman or as “owner”.  

There is a lot of nonsense getting spoken about , different BOD etc , our position just now is down to bad management and bad recruitment.

Archie was backed by Beattie and signed a bunch of duds who eventually had to be paid off .

Caldwell was backed by JLow and signed a bunch of duds who eventually had to be paid off .

McCall who took over after 6 games has been well backed by the Board as well but as of now we look in big trouble , Ian McCall at this moment hasn’t improved us one bit, we’re too easy to play against, hence the reason why we can’t keep clean sheets and win games.

IMO all the managers have been backed by the BOD , unfortunately it looks like there isn’t a good manager amongst them and that’s where the problem is .

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

There is a lot of nonsense getting spoken about , different BOD etc , our position just now is down to bad management and bad recruitment.

Archie was backed by Beattie and signed a bunch of duds who eventually had to be paid off .

Caldwell was backed by JLow and signed a bunch of duds who eventually had to be paid off .

McCall who took over after 6 games has been well backed by the Board as well but as of now we look in big trouble , Ian McCall at this moment hasn’t improved us one bit, we’re too easy to play against, hence the reason why we can’t keep clean sheets and win games.

IMO all the managers have been backed by the BOD , unfortunately it looks like there isn’t a good manager amongst them and that’s where the problem is .

That sounds sensible. But Ian McCall has proved previously that he is a good manager. And Archie also did well for a long period.

So it makes me think that if three managers are all similarly failing, there might be more to it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Without knowing the exact amount of money we  have spent paying of managerial teams and unwanted players i cannot say for sure. But i don't think it to far of the mark to say we must have wasted a lot of money doing this.

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

That sounds sensible. But Ian McCall has proved previously that he is a good manager. And Archie also did well for a long period.

So it makes me think that if three managers are all similarly failing, there might be more to it.

Have a think back to the recruitment of these 3 managers ,  it’s down to the managers ability and judgement to pick a player to improve the team .

We’ve got two part time teams in our League who look better organised with half the resources we’ve had over the last 3 years .

10 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Have a think back to the recruitment of these 3 managers ,  it’s down to the managers ability and judgement to pick a player to improve the team .

We’ve got two part time teams in our League who look better organised with half the resources we’ve had over the last 3 years .

That’s assuming the manager gets his 1st choices, which can be scuppered by many things.

Wages, difficulties to deal with, slowness to react, players perception of the club/manager, current league position, location etc etc. These all play onto it. 

16 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Without knowing the exact amount of money we  have spent paying of managerial teams and unwanted players i cannot say for sure. But i don't think it to far of the mark to say we must have wasted a lot of money doing this.

And paying wages for guys that never played (Coulibally, Austin etc) 

15 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

That’s assuming the manager gets his 1st choices, which can be scuppered by many things.

Wages, difficulties to deal with, slowness to react, players perception of the club/manager, current league position, location etc etc. These all play onto it. 

Alloa and Arbroath are good examples of how teams can be built with fractions of the resources that we have , Alloa seem to be able to pick up good managers Jack Ross , Jim Goodwin and Peter Grant and even though I don’t like saying it Dick Campbell’s experience in getting his team to playing to their strengths is an achievement in light of the resources they have .

Whatever way we dress it up , it’s down to bad management if we can’t get a team organised to compete in the higher reaches of the Championship 

Edited by jlsarmy
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Alloa and Arbroath are good examples of how teams can be built with fractions of the resources that we have , Alloa seem to be able to pick up good managers Jack Ross , Jim Goodwin and Peter Grant and even though I don’t like saying it Dick Campbell’s experience in getting his team to playing to their strengths is an achievement in light of the resources they have .

Whatever way we dress it up , it’s down to bad management if we can’t get a team organised to compete in the higher reaches of the Championship 

Do they have better scouting networks? Wasn’t that long ago we never had a scout

19 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure about that , but  I would say their managers have a better eye for a player at that level , maybe it’s a better knowledge of the lower leagues ?

McCall has spent the last 4/5 seasons in league 1 and Championship. He showed with Ayr he knew how to do well enough in these  leagues. I know he did get relegated with Ayr.

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

McCall has spent the last 4/5 seasons in league 1 and Championship. He showed with Ayr he knew how to do well enough in these  leagues. I know he did get relegated with Ayr.

Hope I’m wrong but I question that Old Firm loanees are what we need to get out a relegation battle.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, javeajag said:

You implied it ....remember the board that got us relegated from the premier and all those wonderful no waster business people ? 

I never implied it either, all i said was getting relegated from the top division is a totally different kettle of fish to where we are now. In the top division we are small fry, in championship we should not be small fry. Our old board were made up from successful business folk who stabilized the club not what we have now that destabilises the club.

7 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Our old board were made up from successful business folk who stabilized the club not what we have now that destabilises the club.

Our old board of business people got us relegated proving that business people are no guarantors of success on the park just look at Hearts .... indeed most clubs that get into financial trouble are run by business people ...nor can anyone demonstrate any connection between the board and on the park performance or ever so stable Hamilton would be doing better

we don’t seen unstable to me We are going through a transition 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Our old board of business people got us relegated proving that business people are no guarantors of success on the park just look at Hearts .... indeed most clubs that get into financial trouble are run by business people ...nor can anyone demonstrate any connection between the board and on the park performance or ever so stable Hamilton would be doing better

we don’t seen unstable to me We are going through a transition 

A transition?? Delusion at its height.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pinhead said:

McCalls problem is the bloke between the goalposts, until he recognises Fox is pish we are in trouble!

Fox is a good example. Over several seasons he has proven himself at this or a higher level and last season was the keeper for the League Champions. He is not a bad keeper. Yet, under 2 managers at Thistle he has been in steady decline, suggesting that it is not him, or the managers that are the problem. We have others like  him in this and previous squads who had been proven players at our level, yet fail to play to that standard under successive managers

Edited by Dick Dastardly

12 hours ago, Pinhead said:

McCalls problem is the bloke between the goalposts, until he recognises Fox is pish we are in trouble!

4 hours ago, jagfox said:

I'm more concerned about the sieve in front of him.

Somehow you're both kinda right. 

Fox has never imo been a domineering keeper. Certainly not vocal with his defenders. That doesn't matter nearly so much when you've got competent defenders in front of him. Without checking I sense you'd find that he had that luxury at County. Same can be said for his reticence in leaving his line. Not necessarily that much of a negative point when you've got solid defenders to rely on.

It's the combination of defenders & keeper that's killing us. And, as failure to deal with set pieces is too often at fault, we can't just blame individual errors from two centrebacks and a keeper.  That fault clearly lies at our disorganisation in defending, which of course leads to these errors. 

On 2/22/2020 at 5:59 PM, Norgethistle said:

Having no debt does not make a company solid or stable.

If (I still live in hope) we go down, our revenue drops dramatically even if our fanbase stays level.

Admission price is lower

League money is lower

Sponsorship is lower

Traveling supports are lower

We still need to fund Firhill, a full-time team, a full office, a youth academy, a women’s team. One or more of them will take a significant hit.

Falkirk have managed to stay full time by utilizing the ground 7 days a week and axing the academy.

Raith due to their chairman funding it.

Us?  Our Stadium is used once a fortnight, we have no rich chairman, and we have an academy we need to start paying for next year.

We spent significantly in January which I’d imagine would have eaten in to our cash reserves as I don’t see where any other funding could come from. 

We will only remain solid and stable if we can generate more than we can spend and with another relegation looming that looks tricky

I don't disagree with you Norge. All that you state is true.

My point is that as a club, through the generosity of Colin Weir, we own our ground and have no debt. I believe that this is an enviable position to be in. Far better than being in the hands of vulture capitalists.

However, I too have absolutely no faith whatsoever in Jacqui Low and her sidekicks, who've pretty much ridden along on Colin Weir's coat tails. These charlatans, if left in charge will in short time have the club deep in the financial mire. I wouldn't trust them to run a bath. Nevertheless, at the moment it does appear that the club is in sound and stable financial position, that we can hopefully capitalise upon, when a new more capable board is appointed (hopefully sooner rather than later).

I do agree that we need to cut our cloth to suit our circumstances and to seriously look at ways to bring new and greater income sources into our club.