McCall

Garscube Road End

15 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

5 games since the window closed.... hardly enough time to measure... But given your moniker you've already made up your mind, so we will agree to differ.

Can't really agree. December was easily the best month of the season in terms of the team's performances. We got ourselves back in the fight when we were in danger of being cut adrift. If he hadn't done any business in the January window I honestly believe we would be above QotS at least. I also believe all makeshift signings in January took some momentum out of the team. Those 5 games after the window were crucial, one draw turned into a win and we'd be safe. 

For the record I still think Ian McCall will be a good manager for us in the long run. 

13 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

How can it be 100 per cent his fault when the season has been halted with 24 points to play with. Or are you blaming McCall for the virus. Was he in Wuhan looking at players? If he was I agree it's all his fault.

No, but he had more than enough chances to have us no where near the bottom of the league. 

And on the question of a mess of a squad, Fox, Williamson, O'Ware, Bannigan, Cardel, Zanata, Millar, Robson and De Vita are all proven at this level or higher. A decent manager would have been able to do much more with those resources.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McCall Out said:

You can call it what you like, but it was him that put us in the position. 

And look at his record -

Airdieonians .... dead.

Dundee Utd .... sacked before relegation.

QotS ....nearly relegated twice then cost the club a significant fine

Thistle (1st time) .... left under circumstances that have never been explained

Ayr .... Promotion, relegation, title

Thistle (2nd time) .... Bottom of the league with abysmal home form and not 1 clean sheet in the league.

So, in 23 years of management, He has 1 league title. Put into context, Dick Campbell has 3 and how many would welcome him back ?

That’s rewriting history completely and I’d say 

Clydebank promotion - you never meantioned Clydebank 

Airdrieonians - took over when they were bottom of league and verge of going bust - kept them up and despite them being in administration and broke produced a quite astonishing season where they were neck and neck with us for the title 

Falkirk - produced a brilliant winning team who were top of the league and were denied promotion by 10,000 seater rule - you forgot to mention Falkirk 

Dundee United - took over when they were bottom and kept them up - then next season too 6, following season they struggled and he was sacked - for many years Dundee United was a poisoned chalice

queen of the south - took over when they were bottom with little money and kept them up. Second season kept them up and signed one of their greatest players- Dobbie

Partick Thistle- I’m sure it’s explained why he left, I’m sure to do with a gambling illness or something along those lines

Ayr - relegation then promotion and challenging at top of league and signed some excellent players left them top of the league

Partick Thistle - very disappointing 

however can’t help but think your deliberately rewriting his history at previous clubs

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

If anyone is getting his knickers in a twist, it is you. He gave a pile of facts about his managerial record. Do you not believe it?

They are not a pile of facts - see my post, he completely omitted 2 of his clubs and rewrote history regarding others - so Facts is completely the wrong word

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

They are not a pile of facts - see my post, he completely omitted 2 of his clubs and rewrote history regarding others - so Facts is completely the wrong word

Absolute fact. He has won less than Dick Campbell.

Defend this record (take away Falkirk and Ayr and it is appalling)

Clydebank 113 games win rate 31.86%

Greenock Morton 17 games win rate 29.41%

Airdrieonians 65 games 35.38%

Falkirk 30 games 60.00%

Dundee United 92 games 30.43%

Queen of the South 70 games 27.14%

Partick Thistle (1) 179 games 39.11%

Ayr United 217 games 46.08%

Partick Thistle (2) 27 33.33%

Career Total 697 games, 272 wins, 181 draws 244 defeats. 39.02% win rate.

59 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

And here is another shocking stat

Gary Caldwell - 42 games, 16 wins ..... 38.1% win rate. 

Ian McCall (2nd term) - 27 games, 9 wins ..... 33.3% win rate

Evidence that we have got worse.

McCall's 27 games include 2 against Celtic.

Caldwell's 16 wins include 6 against lower league teams

Lets compare apples with apples

McCall's first 18 league games  -6 wins and 5 draws = 23 pts or 43% points take up

Gary Caldwell's first 18 league games - 5 wins and 4 draws= 19 pts or 35% points take up

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

That’s rewriting history completely and I’d say 

Clydebank promotion - you never meantioned Clydebank 

Airdrieonians - took over when they were bottom of league and verge of going bust - kept them up and despite them being in administration and broke produced a quite astonishing season where they were neck and neck with us for the title 

Falkirk - produced a brilliant winning team who were top of the league and were denied promotion by 10,000 seater rule - you forgot to mention Falkirk 

Dundee United - took over when they were bottom and kept them up - then next season too 6, following season they struggled and he was sacked - for many years Dundee United was a poisoned chalice

queen of the south - took over when they were bottom with little money and kept them up. Second season kept them up and signed one of their greatest players- Dobbie

Partick Thistle- I’m sure it’s explained why he left, I’m sure to do with a gambling illness or something along those lines

Ayr - relegation then promotion and challenging at top of league and signed some excellent players left them top of the league

Partick Thistle - very disappointing 

however can’t help but think your deliberately rewriting his history at previous clubs

Regards his first spell at Firhill, he did indeed stabilise the club and made them a safe mid table club. He couldn't take us any further. The circumstances he left were more than just gambling problems, I am led to believe, relating to his gambling problems.  As for his present spell, I would say it's been more than just disappointing. It has been utterly dreadful. 

23 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

Falkirk 30 games 60.00%

Or another interpretation 
clydebank promotion 

airdrieonians in administration- second top of league

Falki top of league

Ayr relegation then promotion 

19 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

Falkirk 30 games 60.00%

Guess what manager this is, would you employ him?

Club A =  178 Games win rate 41%    
Club B = 32 games win rate 22%   
Club C = 222 games - win rate 35%    
Club D- 84 games - win rate 30%    
Club E = 185 games - win rate 41%    

Career Total 701 games, 260 wins, 185 draws 256 defeats. 37.09% win rate.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

Falkirk 30 games 60.00%

Here is Caldwell's 

Career total 142 games, 48 wins, 41 draws, 53 defeats. 33% win rate

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He has been very disappointing no doubt but he inherited a shambles, we can’t say we played the 36 games in charge and were relegated (we might have been but we weren’t and over the 36games I think we would have overtaken QOS). But either way We have been expelled not relegated.

in light of the very successful acheivements he did by rebuilding Ayr, and also at Airdrie, Falkirk etc he gets another chance.  If we don’t get promoted next season he has to go.

for whatever reason things have been far too comfy at Firhill and he has to get back to the very hungry, motivational manager he was at Airdrie, Falkirk, Ayr United etc pronto.  He has a huge passion for Thistle, though that should not save him but I can’t think of anyone who would leave the team top of the division to join the one bottom, especially given the shambles we were in and some of the poor performers here

on another note even if I wanted him gone which I don’t he got a 3 year deal from the club and we would struggle to afford to bin him, whereas in a years time there’s less compensation and I think if he had failed to get us promoted from league one he would walk.

so I would give him another year - but please don’t let us down this time Ian

Ran out of likes. I hope you and your family are well TL.

17 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Guess what manager this is, would you employ him?

Club A =  178 Games win rate 41%    
Club B = 32 games win rate 22%   
Club C = 222 games - win rate 35%    
Club D- 84 games - win rate 30%    
Club E = 185 games - win rate 41%    

Career Total 701 games, 260 wins, 185 draws 256 defeats. 37.09% win rate.

Lambie?

1 hour ago, McCall Out said:

Based on what evidence ?

It's an opinion based on his long history as a manager. Admittedly he's had a lot of ups and downs and I could be proved wrong. There are no certainties with any manager. 

Look mate, you clearly have an agenda here which you're going to hammer till we're all bored witless. I have absolutely no desire to debate my faith in Ian McCall any further. 

On 4/17/2020 at 11:55 AM, McCall Out said:

If you take about half a season away from Archie's record he should be at Real Madrid! 

Also, If you take away the games we lost this season we'd be undefeated!

That's not really how recording accurate statistics goes!

Lookat his complete record.  Given time, it actually looks like he knows what he's doing.  Dundee utd in particular perhaps excepted, as he left at a low point (there might be some extenuating circumstances but it is part of his managerial record )

Edited by sb1876

• 7 months later...
On 4/17/2020 at 9:39 AM, McCall Out said:

This

Since he has come back, McCall has been awful. Caldwell my have been crap, but he did manage to avoid relegation and managed to raise the game when it mattered most. This relegation is 100% his fault. Those who blame the board may be right that they could have played the cards better, but just remember who dealt them the hand to play.

Time for him to go and social distancing is just one of the reasons I won't be there to wave bye bye

So very true Jacqui.

Life has dealt you the cruelest of hands.

It was David Beattie that hired not only the dreadfully gammon-esque Ian "McCall", but also re-hired your "brother" Archie, the "family" member you had sacked the previous year.

• 2 months later...