Thistle v Pars 22.02.20

sb1876

I actually quite enjoyed the first half (2nd half less so) and it’s been a while since I have done that at Firhill.  Disappointing not to have won but that Graham goal may have importance later in season.  Hopefully now Banzo is off penalty duties.  Their goalie would have made Cerny blush with his antics.  Onto Saturday we go.

Don't think I could've picked a worse season to get my boy a season ticket. Relegate us now please. 30+ years watching Thistle yoyo up and down the leagues and safe to say this bunch are relegation fodder. Clear out asap come May and hope that we can stop the slide into league 2 next season.

If we can win on Saturday (I’m being optimistic)  we then need to claw back “just” a further 3 points over Alloa from our remaining 8 games. Given our current struggle to score and Alloa’s impressive run that seems like a tall order.  

With a game in hand it’s still in our hands to get 8th but we really have no margin for error now.

Results like tonight's merely delay the inevitable conclusion to an appalling season. Relegation will I fear be automatic rather than the additional torture of a play-off, and sadly it will be deserved rather than through ill fortune or missed penalties which will be justsa minor contributory factor when the season is considered. Onward but downward sadly 

Edited by JeanieD

Don't really know what to make of that. We came within an absolute ba hair of losing a game we dominated. Our lack of cutting edge is criminal. Dunfermline were unbelievably passive but still somehow managed to score from a dreadful corner. It was like watching 11 statues as ball trundled into the middle of the box. 

Did enjoy the last gasp equiliser though, which in fairness we did deserve. Particularly as Dunfermline for some reason were time wasting from the first minute. Thought Gordon had an excellent game, Robson continues to impress and O'Ware and Mayo decent at the back. 

1 minute ago, West Ender said:

Best we've played all season, but even at that the old faults come back to haunt us. Inability to defend corners and unable to turn pressure into goals. 

Tommy Robson was stickout mom for me. We're getting better, but is it too late?

YES.

17 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Results like tonight's merely delay the inevitable conclusion to an appalling season. Relegation will I fear be automatic rather than the additional torture of a play-off, and sadly it will be deserved rather than through ill fortune or missed penalties which will be justsa minor contributory factor when the season is considered. Onward but downward sadly 

Unfortunately JeanieD , I think you’re right , think the apathy around the Club is there for all to see , roughly 1600 Jags fans there tonight for an important game .

McCall’s January window hasn’t sparked anything at all , examples Barjonas , McKinnon, O’Connor all on the bench .

Edited by jlsarmy

3 minutes ago, West Ender said:

Best we've played all season, but even at that the old faults come back to haunt us. Inability to defend corners and unable to turn pressure into goals. 

Think you were watching a different game , gave the ball away constantly and launched the ball up to Graham and Rudden with little affect 

Paul Paton bossed the game and our midfield, a Dunfermline team without arguably their 2 best players Ryan Dow and Kevin Nesbitt.

1 minute ago, West Ender said:

Agree. First 25 mins we were good.

If  penalty goes in, players relax a bit an we  go onto win comfortably. Dunfermline were shite and there for the taking.

You could see the confidence start to drain from Thistle as the game wore on and they reverted to long hopeful balls.

Thought Cole was poor and Penrice is not a centre mid. Fox continues to infuriate with his slow deliberation before he boots it forward - also so reluctant to come off his line.

Anyway, overall much better than last Tuesday and as others have said they should be getting more familiar with each other and hopefully that will produce on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think you were watching a different game , gave the ball away constantly and launched the ball up to Graham and Rudden with little affect 

Paul Paton bossed the game and our midfield, a Dunfermline team without arguably their 2 best players Ryan Dow and Kevin Nesbitt.

Still the best we've played all season. We're talking a very low bar here. 

3 minutes ago, West Ender said:

Still the best we've played all season. We're talking a very low bar here. 

Think we played much better up in Inverness and to a lesser degree down at Cappielow (2nd fixture). But the gist of what you're saying is correct. A very low bar and even if there is progress we're moving nowhere fast enough. Think we're now about the stage where we'll have to rely on QoS and/or Alloa turning out poorer performances than they've been doing to date.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Fair point regards the ground. There does seem to be some doubt of who actually owns it now.

I made my point assuming we own half a ground and that the other half bought by Colin Weir will be transferred to PTFC once if not before Fan Ownership kicks in! 

3 Black Cats have already promised to respect and implement Colin Weir's wishes. 

Half a ground though is still an important difference with respect to Clyde. 

Better speak nicely to and of Jacqui Low!!!! 

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I made my point assuming we own half a ground and that the other half bought by Colin Weir will be transferred to PTFC once if not before Fan Ownership kicks in! 

3 Black Cats have already promised to respect and implement Colin Weir's wishes. 

Half a ground though is still an important difference with respect to Clyde. 

Better speak nicely to and of Jacqui Low!!!! 

Jacqui Low??? Grrr! %@@**£.   

9 hours ago, p12tfc said:

Bannigans penalties are asking to be saved. Perfect height for keepers and not overly powerful. Strikers should be on penalties imo

When I watched the highlights from Tannadice I couldn't believe it when the Arabs keeper failed to stop Bannigan's weak penalty from going in.

Well, we've had plenty, plenty of chances to pull ourselves out of this dire situation, and we keep failing miserably. If we can't win matches, we don't deserve to be playing at this level. Saturday will probably make it abundantly clearer if we'll be in the Championship or the Seaside League next season.

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't see why anyone can think we were bottling it tonight. If anything we were too frantic. Lack of composure particularly in the 2nd half was shocking. 

Agree 100% with this. Panic was starting to set in.  
Mccall might be right about Rudden, though. Thought he had his best game for us and was really unlucky with his attempt that just scraped the top of the bar

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Think we played much better up in Inverness and to a lesser degree down at Cappielow (2nd fixture). But the gist of what you're saying is correct. A very low bar and even if there is progress we're moving nowhere fast enough. Think we're now about the stage where we'll have to rely on QoS and/or Alloa turning out poorer performances than they've been doing to date.

QOS form is thankfully even worse that us. They have 2 points in last 6 games. Hopefully that continues. Remarkably we still have a chance which have others have said ,will be clearer at 4.45 on Saturday. 

Edited by dl1971
Typo
  • Like 1