Thistle v Pars 22.02.20

sb1876

10 hours ago, JeanieD said:

Results like tonight's merely delay the inevitable conclusion to an appalling season. Relegation will I fear be automatic rather than the additional torture of a play-off, and sadly it will be deserved rather than through ill fortune or missed penalties which will be justsa minor contributory factor when the season is considered. Onward but downward sadly 

If the club are ever looking for a moto for a new logo, the last 3 seasons and counting suggest it should be "Protenus et Deorsum" (Onwards and Downwards).  

Best I have seen Thistle play this season. Perhaps rough round edges, particularly in attacking box but for the first time in ages you could see real desire and intent. Particularly in 1st 25  minutes. Dunfermline were truly awful and really didn't deserve anything.  Robson transformed in recent weeks

Ok let’s be a bit more positive....

3 games unbeaten ( yes we need wins ).....the defence is clearly better.....McCall seems to have found a formation and team he is happy with ....performances are better as well ( we should have won last night ) .....a win on Saturday and things start to look up 

Still a lack of belief within the team at times, they seem to play well for periods, then, when that does not bring a goal they revert to type.

When [if] this team does start to score goals they will be a good unit, but they need to believe in themselves, start playing with some confidence and get the momentum required to go on and win games

I would love to see them do that this Saturday against Alloa …. if they can move the ball quickly, play the passing game we all enjoy and score an early goal, I think they could go on and dominate this game …. but there are so many 'if's' with this team.

Regarding penalties any penalty which is over half way up the goal almost always ends in a goal. A professional footballer should be able to put a ball into the net over half way up the goal everytime. Goalkeepers dive low so why do players always hit them low?

Edited by p12tfc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

Regarding penalties any penalty which is over half way up the goal almost always ends in a goal. A professional footballer should be able to put a ball into the net over half way up the goal everytime. Goalkeepers dive low so why do players always hit them low?

On this topic, it is a pet hate of mine when commentators and pundits refer to penalty shoot-outs as a lottery. There is a clear skill at taking a penalty and if you're good at it you'll score 99 in a 100 as no keeper can save a well struck, top corner penalty. The likes of Alan Shearer and Matt Le Tissier always did this and their records were close to perfect. Nations like Germany realise this and haven't lost a shoot-out since 1972 (I think)- other teams (e.g., England) go in with the mentality that it's all a lottery and tend to lose more than win.

• Like 2

Taken from Pars website

Was the goal that you scored something that you had worked on on the training ground? Did you pinpoint that Thistle had lost a lot of goals from setpieces this season?

Crawford “A lot of the stuff we had seen. We had noted that Partick had been losing a few goals from setplays. The last few matches they have actually put Brian Graham in the middle some in the six yard box which helps them in that area. It is something that we had worked on, it is nice when it comes off."

Getting that deja vu feeling?

I actually feel we've been getting better at defending set pieces of late. The added height of Rudden should help but it's not all about the aerial threat. I see we've been bringing all ten players back more often or not. I'd have thought Tommy Robson, tho' nominally considered a defender, would be better deployed staying up the park.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

On this topic, it is a pet hate of mine when commentators and pundits refer to penalty shoot-outs as a lottery. There is a clear skill at taking a penalty and if you're good at it you'll score 99 in a 100 as no keeper can save a well struck, top corner penalty. The likes of Alan Shearer and Matt Le Tissier always did this and their records were close to perfect. Nations like Germany realise this and haven't lost a shoot-out since 1972 (I think)- other teams (e.g., England) go in with the mentality that it's all a lottery and tend to lose more than win.

It shouldn't really be an issue for a professional football team to ask the squad during training who would be willing to take penalties.

These players then practice with Fox/Sneddon/Arthur each day in a seperate session & coaching staff choose who takes & when - working on variations & not having only one set penalty  that will be easily researched by opposing teams.

That's how it worked in the amateurs when I played in many teams & we only trained once or twice weekly.

I'd much rather someone new runs up & puts their ****ing laces through the ball (even if that results in a miss too) rather than a lazy telegraphed perfect height for the keeper trickler. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, p12tfc said:

Because its easier and less room for error, ie blasting it over, but yes I agree with you.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Taken from Pars website

Getting that deja vu feeling?

I actually feel we've been getting better at defending set pieces of late. The added height of Rudden should help but it's not all about the aerial threat. I see we've been bringing all ten players back more often or not. I'd have thought Tommy Robson, tho' nominally considered a defender, would be better deployed staying up the park.

I think we should leave 2 up at corners, that way the opposition need to keep 3 back.

i would argue it is easier to defend with less in the box .

1 hour ago, Jagtastic said:

Noting the comment from Crawford on our set up at set pieces - there was a couple of guys in front of us last night taking photos of our set up at every set piece in the second half

Been mentioned there were coaches there from Alloa studying us  - hoping we have been as proactive studying other teams 

Could be an important point come the end of the season. However, don't think we have a right to have a go at Rangers, Raith, et al. after our celebrations last night. 1-1 draw against a poor Pars side and you would have thought our league status was secure with some fans jumping onto the pitch. Then lo and behold, massive applause at full time. Don't think some of our fans seem to grasp the bloody predicament we are in. We NEED wins. 

All truth be told, I didn't think it was our worst performance of the season. We looked comfortable apart from the inexcusable collective brain fart at the corner once again (what the hell are the coaches working on all week?) But generally thought out decision making in the final 3rd was poor. Lacking a killer touch, and you can see Rudden desperately needs a goal to get his confidence up.

Six pointer on Saturday! 

I thought we did OK last night , and if we'd scored the penalty , would have gone on to win comfortably . I'd also blame the goal we lost on McColl and his team . Before the corner was taken , there were subs lined up at the halfway line . Theirs came on , ours didn't , but there were still at least four of our players looking there for the board rather than concentrating on the corner . I was about the halfway line and was surprised that the corner was taken with he sub still to come on .

6 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Could be an important point come the end of the season. However, don't think we have a right to have a go at Rangers, Raith, et al. after our celebrations last night. 1-1 draw against a poor Pars side and you would have thought our league status was secure with some fans jumping onto the pitch. Then lo and behold, massive applause at full time. Don't think some of our fans seem to grasp the bloody predicament we are in. We NEED wins

All truth be told, I didn't think it was our worst performance of the season. We looked comfortable apart from the inexcusable collective brain fart at the corner once again (what the hell are the coaches working on all week?) But generally thought out decision making in the final 3rd was poor. Lacking a killer touch, and you can see Rudden desperately needs a goal to get his confidence up.

Six pointer on Saturday! 

This. Every game we draw right now is good for the teams above us and sinks us deeper in the relegation swamp.

3 hours ago, paddy malarkey said:

I thought we did OK last night , and if we'd scored the penalty , would have gone on to win comfortably . I'd also blame the goal we lost on McColl and his team . Before the corner was taken , there were subs lined up at the halfway line . Theirs came on , ours didn't , but there were still at least four of our players looking there for the board rather than concentrating on the corner . I was about the halfway line and was surprised that the corner was taken with he sub still to come on .

Bit in bold is exactly what I thought. After the penalty frustration at not taking taking our chances turned to desperation in the second half. Dunfermline offered nothing and we defended well throughout the game but I always felt they would score as a consequence of our inability to take our chances.

First half pretty much all the team were playing well but Cole and Bannigan in midfield kept avoiding taking a strike at goal when the ball fell to them on the edge of the box.

Second half we resorted to hoof ball too early, partly due to desperation to score but partly due to how poor Cole's distribution was. Whilst the pitch didn't help him he had too many miss placed passes for a guy who is our most creative midfielder. Hopefully his role in the last minute equaliser brings him a bit of confidence and in turn some form as he is essential to our attacking play.

In general the formation and player selection is now looking pretty settled and we look a more solid unit. The back 3 look pretty good, front 2 with more game time should be a good partnership, Penrice looked better in midfield last night than the QOS game last week, Robson looks a different player at LWB and Gordon looked good at RWB as well as in midfield later in the game. 

If this was the team 2 months ago I wouldn't be that worried but we're now running out of games and need a couple of goals to get the team a bit of confidence and stop playing with so much desperation.