Thistle v QOS, Tuesday March 3

Hello Jags Fans,

Big game on Tuesday night so I have started this new thread.

I am fed up with the McCall chat, not happy with the new Chairman but lets get back to football chat.

First issue for Tuesday is the pitch playable, the forecast for the next couple of days does not look to bad after heavy showers this afternoon, but is the damage done after so much rain over the weekend.

The team, where do we start ? Fox or Sneddon,  Fox appeared to have a good game v Rangers reserves but like most others I think Sneddon should be given a chance.

I hope Williamson is fit again, we need his crosses for Graham and Rudden to attack the QOS defence, I am sure Morton did that yesterday.

We need Darren MacKinnon to protect the defence, maybe not the quickest but this is a battle now and he has previous.

O'Ware and Brownlee in central defence need to be given time to gel but we need to stop giving goals away.

Reece Cole needs to recover some form or get dropped.

I am looking forward to seeing Graham and Rudden up front hopefully Rudden is fully fit.

Zanatta is an other who needs to up his game, guy has plenty to offer but needs to turn up.

I will leave the rest to the gaffer, in McCall we trust nut we need to start getting results.

We have 12 league games left to decide where we will finish this season. Despite a terrible 2020 we are not cut adrift and a victory in this game would have us on the same points as QOS, with Thistle still having a game in hand. I hope a victory for us would give the team much needed confidence and would severely dent any confidence the QOS side might have left. We as fans can do our bit by turning up in big numbers and giving the team full support from the stands. Of course the team has to do their bit by doing something they haven't done enough of this season, particularly at Firhill and that is go out and play for the full 90+minutes and get a victory. If we do our bit as supporters it is up to McCall to get the team organised and getting a positive result on the park.

2 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Hospitality for this one so have the consolation of beer taps near by.  A must win simple as that.

Enjoy the hospitality eleveone. Hope you are a lucky charm for us. Re the game if Rudden is not fit i would play Mansell  and Graham up front to ruffle up what is obviously a very fragile defence. Would also have Gordon to make runs into the box to feed of the front 2.

Most folk will say this is a must win game. Not too sure about that but it's definitely a most not lose game. I'd take a draw if that's accompanied with some semblance of pending improvement.

A lot will depend on Bannigan and Cole having more effective games. We'll presumably have two up front so we'll either need a ball winner in midfield or have to rely on Stuart and Reece doing their share (hardly ideal). If we resort to bypassing midfield thru speculative punts from central defence we'll struggle.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

53 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Most folk will say this is a must win game. Not too sure about that but it's definitely a most not lose game. I'd take a draw if that's accompanied with some semblance of pending improvement.

A lot will depend on Bannigan and Cole having more effective games. We'll presumably have two up front so we'll either need a ball winner in midfield or have to rely on Stuart and Reece doing their share (hardly ideal). If we resort to bypassing midfield thru speculative punts from central defence we'll struggle.

I think it is a must win game for the following reasons. We are playing the team who have been as poor as us since the turn of the year, we have only won 2 league games at home all season and our next 3 away games are against the top 3 in the league.

• Like 2

If only Williamson and Cardle are not fit we should see tonight what McCall envisioned his starting eleven and preffered formation would look like when he was making the January signings.

Assuming the preferred front 2 are Graham and Rudden it would suggest a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2. Wit Mayo fit and our struggles defensively I wonder if he might go 3-5-2 with the following

Fox

Brownlie-O'Ware-Mayo

O'Conner-Cole-Mackinnon-Bannigan-Penrice

Graham-Rudden

It would mean O'Conner and Penrice supply width and crosses which in turn means they need to play quite high up the park. The only other alternatives to provide width are Zanatta and Austin. Zannata isn't going to provide much defensively and Austin looks like he won't provide much at all.

I feel a bit more optimistic than most.  The January changes coupled with injuries have set us back, but once the changes bed in and our injury list shrinks, results I think will improve.   The extra dig of Graham and McKinnon in the spine of the team should also make a difference.

2-1 Jags tonight.

p.s. I feel more confident of things on the pitch that things off it.

Edited by eljaggo

A point tonight isn’t good enough in my opinion. It doesn’t close the gap to anyone above us sufficiently.

If we lose, it’s over and the team’s losing mentality is further entrenched. If they can’t beat a team on worse form than us, then we deserve to go down.