Thistle v QOS, Tuesday March 3

4 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Tight but not offside which is what the assistant must have thought as he did not raise his flag at all. What happened to the attacker being given the benefit of the doubt, has that gone the same way as bookings for players kicking the ball away at free kicks?

To be honest it doesn't really matter if he was offside or not. Faced with a call that was tight as a duck's arse, he took a punt and played it onside. Because of the outcome of the move he's spoken to the ref and basically reversed his guess. That is absolutely shocking. In the 50 plus years watching football I've seen some terrible refereeing but generally through honest mistakes, this is completely different. If that had happened in an old firm game the world would be in meltdown, but nobody's going to give a **** because it's us. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Very few were straining at the leash. Lethargic.

Why does Fox take so long to take a bye kick? its not chess we're playing. He waits for ages till everyone is in position then blooters it forward where it is  more than likely that a big defender, facing the ball, will win possession or at least head the ball up the pitch when it then becomes a 50/50 ball. I accept we are not good enough to play out from the back all the time but a quick ball out to a full back or out to someone free on the wing, where we can retain possession, must be a better option?

It is utterly soul destroying 

34 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Compared to the first half, we were better, but I can put hand on heart and say I have not seen PTFC play 'terrific' this year, or for that matter, this season!

Fox played well as did Robson, O'ware was ponderous, Bannigan needs rested, Penrice was played out of position ….. etc etc

What is becoming obvious is IMC has not worked out what is his best team

IMC is leaving it very late to find his team.

30 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

To be honest it doesn't really matter if he was offside or not. Faced with a call that was tight as a duck's arse, he took a punt and played it onside. Because of the outcome of the move he's spoken to the ref and basically reversed his guess. That is absolutely shocking. In the 50 plus years watching football I've seen some terrible refereeing but generally through honest mistakes, this is completely different. If that had happened in an old firm game the world would be in meltdown, but nobody's going to give a **** because it's us. 

Absolutely. Image the phone-ins if it had happened to one of the erse cheeks. The ref would need to flee the country.

It was a strange  decision  but that does not take away from the fact we were shite.

52 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Absolutely. Image the phone-ins if it had happened to one of the erse cheeks. The ref would need to flee the country.

It was a strange  decision  but that does not take away from the fact we were shite.

Just so long as we don't get the bloody awful VAR. Did anyone see the Burnley v Bournemouth game where a Bournemouth goal was disallowed to award a penalty at the other end ?

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

I couldn't agree more. Given the general standard on display last night, I'll be surprised if we weren't watching the bottom two sides at the end of the season. 

But the plain truth is we're fighting for our lives and that complete shambles from the officials could end up relegating us. 

We were I think the better team by not that big a margin. But by using my own criteria if you can't score a single goal in open play you deserve what you get. 

I realise with VAR retrospective decisions are now commonplace, but in its absence offside or not the penalty should have stood. Muscat Jag's point is spot on. I also find it amazing that linesmen, who will constantly move out the way to allow a throw in be taken many yards further forward (in effect being totally undermined), can then have delayed second thoughts over an offside. How many goals and/or favourable decisions follow on indirectly from a wrongly taken throw in? Don't take all that as sour grapes as I doubt we were worth the three points we may have collected thru the penalty.

Said earlier I'd accept a point if we showed significant improvement and played the ball thru midfield rather than the big punt game. We did neither. I'd say there's a general improvement in some individual performances (plus Mayo looks useful) but team wise I'd be generous in saying we were marginally better. We did have a clean sheet for once, tho' with three centrebacks playing against a fairly uninspired attack it's a rather limited success. Not blaming Fox for the default long punts as you have to assume that was his remit. However when given the opportunity his short distribution is now so delayed and lethargic that playing the ball  out from the back and thru midfield suffers badly. I say "now" as in a previous life that was the one plus he had over the likes of Cerny or Gallagher. And last night about the only thing Queens did well was facing high balls in defence. So what do we do?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I thought that when we had Gordon and Cole on the park our general play was a lot better and possibly the best play since winning away to Morton. We looked pretty solid in defence and dominated midfield with Cole beginning to open up the QOS defence. Gordon nearly got his trademark goal as part of a nice move from Cole to Graham to Gordon.In my opinion if we had had Rudden on the park when Cole and Gordon were on it would probably made the difference.

It'll be a different game away to Dundee United but I can see us sticking with a 3-5-2 but perhaps a more defensive player selection. I suspect we'll see MacKinnon back in midfield with Penrice back to left wingback and Robson dropping to the subs bench. Hopefully also see Cole in for Barjonas. Other than that I think we need to minimise the changes and let the team settle in. I don't think Zanatta and Cardle are good enough for us to start a 4-3-3 but they would provide that possibility from the bench should we need to push for a goal in the later stages.

I would agree that if we are going to play wingbacks thr distribution from keeper through the 3 at the back to the wingbacks needs to be quicker. That did start to happen a bit better in the later stages of last nights game so hopefully that is just something that will improve with time and consistency of formation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

I was bang in line with it. He was offside.

I was inline with and it never looked in doubt that he was onside. The image below would suggest he was well onside

httpimage.png.549e569f9e7e1ef7f942a10fc835ca2f.png

To throw more petrol onto the refereeing fire, the image below is from Mayo's header. Potentially another phantom goal?

image.png.2eef547a2fb4b2b3427be1cef45b6d49.png

s://twitter.com/kenny_mcallan/status/1235165171443736578?s=20

3 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

I couldn't agree more. Given the general standard on display last night, I'll be surprised if we weren't watching the bottom two sides at the end of the season. 

But the plain truth is we're fighting for our lives and that complete shambles from the officials could end up relegating us. 

Agree the decision was wrong and poor but that decision will not be what relegates us. 

If we are relegated  (and I still cling to a forlorn hope that we will suddenly find some form and zoom up the table), it  will be for the following combination of  reasons ( in no particular order)

1) Gary Caldwell.

2) Chopping and changing of personnel, formations and style of play.

3) Lack of togetherness as a Club - breakdown of relationship between the fans , players,  Board etc

4) Certain players ( not all) going through the motions, picking up a good wage and not really caring .

5) Cronyism throughout the Club.

6) The Bing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Read in the programme last night that we are "now set up to compete in the top division of Scottish Football" ! !

Good to know!!

Keep on dreaming.

Where was that quote, whose ramblings ?

I was there but don't buy it any more.

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

Agree the decision was wrong and poor but that decision will not be what relegates us. 

If we are relegated  (and I still cling to a forlorn hope that we will suddenly find some form and zoom up the table), it  will be for the following combination of  reasons ( in no particular order)

1) Gary Caldwell.

2) Chopping and changing of personnel, formations and style of play.

3) Lack of togetherness as a Club - breakdown of relationship between the fans , players,  Board etc

4) Certain players ( not all) going through the motions, picking up a good wage and not really caring .

5) Cronyism throughout the Club.

6) The Bing.

Disgraceful! How could you impugn the value of our gnomes on their hallowed grassy slope? Shame on you! :fan:

6 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

Even if we got the pen it was one of those nights where we would have missed it! Atrocious decision though. 

1 hour ago, Fearchar said:

Disgraceful! How could you impugn the value of our gnomes on their hallowed grassy slope? Shame on you! :fan:

Can we really blame Caldwell , he only had the first 6 games , watching us since January with McCalls players I would say we’re actually worse than we were same time last year .

Not hopeful at all 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Were we 'terrific'in the 2nd half as the manager said?

We were better than in the first half, but that would not have been hard. We attacked them more in the second half, hit the woodwork 3times and had a penalty given, then taken away. Their goalie looked poor with crosses on the few occasions we got the ball over. But we were not terrific imo. 

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Just so long as we don't get the bloody awful VAR. Did anyone see the Burnley v Bournemouth game where a Bournemouth goal was disallowed to award a penalty at the other end ?

Yes. The ball hit the Bournemouth defenders arm in the box, ref didn't see it and plays on. Bournemouth go up the park and score. Then VAR goes back to the incident in the box and give a penalty and take Bournemouth's goal away. So instead of 1-1, its 2-0 Burnley.

14 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

"but this is a club that is now set up to compete in the top division of Scottish football"

who at firhill committed this to paper?

they should be taken into a darkened room and made to watch our recent games 

JLow ‘s back at the spin again 

• Like 1

That level of delusion sums up the clowns running the club. Totally detached from reality. We are horse manure on and off the pitch and these idiots think we are set up for the top league. They probably think we are a champions league outfit given time

• Like 1