Thistle v QOS, Tuesday March 3

22 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Friday night and no page opened up yet for tomorrows DUFC game? Could this be because the possible outcome could be just too awful to contemplate?

Maybees others are just waiting to let the Bobbyhouston character start a thread on an original subject for once?  

Not too hopeful myself of a result tomorrow. But I think if we can play more positively, something akin to the last 30 minutes the other night, then we 're in with a chance. I realise that  coincided with Cole coming on but not sure if that was overly significant. Whatever we have to firstly play in the midfield far more often and secondly and more importantly play them in at a far higher pace. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, laukat said:

QOS highlights from Tuesday. Absolutely shocking decision on the penalty

No doubt he is onside. A soft penalty for Ayr and a penalty we should have had in this game.The officials have cost us a possible 4 more points in our 2 last home league games. How important will that be come the end of the season ?

5 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

No doubt he is onside. A soft penalty for Ayr and a penalty we should have had in this game.The officials have cost us a possible 4 more points in our 2 last home league games. How important will that be come the end of the season ?

Respect to you as always AJ.

Our own players have cost us more points since April 2017 than any officials have, though.

Only seen highlights but it seemed pretty even in the first half with QOS 'working Fox more than we worked their keeper. 

In the second half we seemed to be the better team with more action  around their goal. However I would make a couple of points:

1. We don't seem to carry much luck in front of goal, and related to this

2. We don't create what might be described as clear cut chances 

So more creative play,  better decision making and better quality final passes needed in final third to give our front players better chances. 

Close but think Zanetta had drifted just offside but why didnt the linesman just raise his flag?  The debate would have been different and less critical of officials. By not raising his flag  the Linesman brought into question the credibility of the referee and himself. 

8 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

He was onside, the linesman , who was quick to flag up earlier offside decisions in the game, did not react at all to Zanatta's forward move. One of those one, when you are winning they go for you, when you are down they go against.

That's the thing for me, the linesman didn't flag at the time or in the 2nd phase of play.  He waited until the ref made a decision that it was a pen.

Apart from the fact that it was onside, if he did think it was off, he should have flagged as soon as the ball was touched after the ricochet.

I was bang in line with play at the game , and to be honest, I was fully expecting the linesman to raise his flags as soon as Zanatta touched the ball.

But looking at the video he is certainly onside when the ball is played forward so both I and the linesman got it wrong.

However, even if he got it wrong, I could  more easily accept it as part and parcel of the game if he had flagged straight away, but he let the play go on, and in those circumstances

I think the referee's decision to give a penalty comes in to play and no way should the linesman be able to call it back.  Hope he's 'rested' for a suitable period to give him a chance

to sharpen his decision making. Could be a costly error for us this season.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Harrybriscoe said:

I was bang in line with play at the game , and to be honest, I was fully expecting the linesman to raise his flags as soon as Zanatta touched the ball.

But looking at the video he is certainly onside when the ball is played forward so both I and the linesman got it wrong.

However, even if he got it wrong, I could  more easily accept it as part and parcel of the game if he had flagged straight away, but he let the play go on, and in those circumstances

I think the referee's decision to give a penalty comes in to play and no way should the linesman be able to call it back.  Hope he's 'rested' for a suitable period to give him a chance

to sharpen his decision making. Could be a costly error for us this season.

Nobody apart from Thistle and QOS fans will bother about this. So i don't expect anything to happen to the linesman. As others have said if it involved either of the arse cheeks it would be news for weeks.

2 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

I'm not sure if I'm up to date with the current offside rules. Is it offside if the ball is played by a defender and ricochets off an attacking player?

It used to be a whole lot simpler back in the day when if you were offside the flag would go up immmediately & play would halt whether right of wrong. It was a lot simpler back in the days of 3 TV channels & super crap quality slow motion replays so you'd never be too sure with Scotsports or Sportscenes wholly inadequate wo camera angles if the linesman was a whopper or not.

Law 12 at the moment is fairly clear cut "A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate" so the ricochet would be deemed to be the ball passed played by the a team mate & you'd be offside if you were active from that point - not from when the defender hit it.

Another problem seems to be interpretation & pressures put on assistant referees to keep their flags down and let play flow.

48 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

It used to be a whole lot simpler back in the day when if you were offside the flag would go up immmediately & play would halt whether right of wrong. It was a lot simpler back in the days of 3 TV channels & super crap quality slow motion replays so you'd never be too sure with Scotsports or Sportscenes wholly inadequate wo camera angles if the linesman was a whopper or not.

Law 12 at the moment is fairly clear cut "A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate" so the ricochet would be deemed to be the ball passed played by the a team mate & you'd be offside if you were active from that point - not from when the defender hit it.

Another problem seems to be interpretation & pressures put on assistant referees to keep their flags down and let play flow.

Ah yes, back in the day. I remember that. One of the first matches to be televised in colour in Englandshire was Chelsea v Liverpool. On our black and white set it was 22 players in grey!

Thanks for rule clarification. Pretty stupid imo.

The rules should be clear cut, not open to interpretation by officials.

11 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

That in itself is rather interesting. Makes the title of "assistant referee" as opposed to "linesman" even more of a misnomer and indeed their duties heading in the direction of the sinecure.

I also think we've been witnessing referees being more pernickety of late. I don't mean over-officious tho' it produces the same stop-start results, which of course means the game doesn't flow.

If the linesman was indeed giving latitude re flow of the game pressure and then, realising the consequences changed his mind, he should at least be applauded for his integrity. I just can't imagine that happening for instance when we played Celtic and they were the ones losing out on the penalty, especially if the lino was covering the JHS side. 

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That in itself is rather interesting. Makes the title of "assistant referee" as opposed to "linesman" even more of a misnomer and indeed their duties heading in the direction of the sinecure.

I also think we've been witnessing referees being more pernickety of late. I don't mean over-officious tho' it produces the same stop-start results, which of course means the game doesn't flow.

If the linesman was indeed giving latitude re flow of the game pressure and then, realising the consequences changed his mind, he should at least be applauded for his integrity. I just can't imagine that happening for instance when we played Celtic and they were the ones losing out on the penalty, especially if the lino was covering the JHS side. 

Are you suggesting covering the floor of the Jackie Husband Stand with linoleum?