Alan Archibald

PTFC1942

I really have never understood why we need 2 assistant managers and why Archibald came back. Whatever the reason McCall's current tenure as manager after a promising start has been very disappointing  and unless  we have a sudden upturn in form we are going to be relegated for the 2nd time in 3 years. Considering McCall will have had 30 games to keep us in the league, if we did go down he has got to shoulder the responsibility  for it.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Fox, O'Ware, Bannigan: what have they given Thistle this season that makes them the manager's first choices on the team sheet every week, every defeat.....?

Fox was decent again tonight. O'Ware and Bannigan? Too much is faith placed in them by McCall, imo. 

We drew by the way...

Edited by jagfox

We could have played till midnight last and still not scored ...The amount of times we had the opportunity to put the ball into their box but no another back / side ways pass was the option ..If you put the ball into the box more often you never know what  mite happen , penalty / own goal/ we mite even score ,very frustrating....

Like others on the forum, I am puzzled by the need of a club like ours to have such a large management / coaching team. In saying that, if we were a team who were scoring goals for fun, conceding few and regularly recording clean sheets I could be 'convinced' our coaching staff were a vital part of our good play.

So far this season it looks like the manager has been tactically naïve, the GK coach has produced a keeper who struggles with corner kicks, and has a poor grasp of ball distribution, and the defence coach has produced a group of players who have conceded 45 goals this season [only Morton on 51 have conceded more]

Assuming we do drop down to League 1, I would expect IMC to stay, but the rest of the coaching staff to leave ASAP. There does appear to be a culture of cronyism within PTFC, not only is it bad for the club [as results show, the coaching staff have been ineffective], it is, I would guess, very expensive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Like others on the forum, I am puzzled by the need of a club like ours to have such a large management / coaching team. In saying that, if we were a team who were scoring goals for fun, conceding few and regularly recording clean sheets I could be 'convinced' our coaching staff were a vital part of our good play.

So far this season it looks like the manager has been tactically naïve, the GK coach has produced a keeper who struggles with corner kicks, and has a poor grasp of ball distribution, and the defence coach has produced a group of players who have conceded 45 goals this season [only Morton on 51 have conceded more]

Assuming we do drop down to League 1, I would expect IMC to stay, but the rest of the coaching staff to leave ASAP. There does appear to be a culture of cronyism within PTFC, not only is it bad for the club [as results show, the coaching staff have been ineffective], it is, I would guess, very expensive.

Completely agree,  I do think there is a good manager in Ian McCall as seen elsewhere and would be okay with him staying, though annoyed he had not kept us up.  I was a big supporter of his in management prior to his appointment though so far have been underwhelmed and very disappointed at results on the park to say the least.

Like you, if we go down or even if we stay up I really don't see much of a case for keeping Archibald and Arthur - they have not brought much to the defence or the goalkeeping side of things with their coaching.  Besides O ware and Fox to name others should be more than experienced enough to not really need to rely on these 2 coaches anywhere.  Could Archibalds wage have been used to sign another defender in the January transfer window for instance?  I guess we will never know

If we go down I would not have a problem either if we did not keep Thistle 'legends' Fox and Bannigan - both having contributed little this season and in Bannigans case not much the last 2 and neither displaying much leadership.  The same goes for O ware. 

By contrast I would hope the club would be doing everything to retain Graham, Rudden and Lyons - simply because all 3 would score a barrowload in League one - that very likely will depend on whether there are relegation clauses in the contract.  Out of the 3 I would likely to expect Lyons to stay as although we would in all likelihood be in the same division as Montrose we are clearly a bigger club. 

I fully expect if we go down both Doolan and Erskine will be signed as Thistle 'legends, as both will be free agents,' with the idea that it would give the club and fans a boost, but like you can see that there has been a culture of cronyism which I too have concerns about and the employment of these 2 could potentially fall into that category, though I do think playing wise they would offer far more in League 1 than the championship.  I don't think the club has benefitted at all from cronyism the last couple of years

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Completely agree,  I do think there is a good manager in Ian McCall as seen elsewhere and would be okay with him staying, though annoyed he had not kept us up.  I was a big supporter of his in management prior to his appointment though so far have been underwhelmed and very disappointed at results on the park to say the least.

Like you, if we go down or even if we stay up I really don't see much of a case for keeping Archibald and Arthur - they have not brought much to the defence or the goalkeeping side of things with their coaching.  Besides O ware and Fox to name others should be more than experienced enough to not really need to rely on these 2 coaches anywhere.  Could Archibalds wage have been used to sign another defender in the January transfer window for instance?  I guess we will never know

If we go down I would not have a problem either if we did not keep Thistle 'legends' Fox and Bannigan - both having contributed little this season and in Bannigans case not much the last 2 and neither displaying much leadership.  The same goes for O ware. 

By contrast I would hope the club would be doing everything to retain Graham, Rudden and Lyons - simply because all 3 would score a barrowload in League one - that very likely will depend on whether there are relegation clauses in the contract.  Out of the 3 I would likely to expect Lyons to stay as although we would in all likelihood be in the same division as Montrose we are clearly a bigger club. 

I fully expect if we go down both Doolan and Erskine will be signed as Thistle 'legends, as both will be free agents,' with the idea that it would give the club and fans a boost, but like you can see that there has been a culture of cronyism which I too have concerns about and the employment of these 2 could potentially fall into that category, though I do think playing wise they would offer far more in League 1 than the championship.  I don't think the club has benefitted at all from cronyism the last couple of years

You are talking about a culture of cronyism within PTFC- yet say you would expect if we go down both Doolan and Erskine to be signed as Thistle 'legends. Are you having a laugh. Stop and think what you have actually wrote. 

Let’s look at the facts Doolan is done, dusted and washed up. Can’t even get a game for Morton nor Ayr, and let’s all be honest here, a goals per game ratio of 1 goal every 4 games is hardly anything to shout about. Especially when the majority of they goals came in lower decisions. In-fact it’s absolutely S****. 

Plus rumours are rife that previous reports from old regime and players, that the reason Doolan didn’t play the last game of the season v QOS. - Was players personally went to GC and said that Doolan can’t be trusted and had let it be known around the changing room that if he was in front of goal he couldn’t guarantee to score.

Let’s not mention that 99.9% of fans on here are happy to stick with IMC if we go down. Where in contract only a few months ago where crying at the stake because GC lost a few games in the league, kept us up and got us to a quarter-final of a cup. 

Not buying for a second the whole IMC has a plan. It’s now March we haven’t won a game with the squad he has assembled. IMG actually had a better win rate with the so called unbalanced squad he inherited from GC. 
Which I may add under IMC has failed to beat Ayr United, when he personally came out and said Partick Thistle are a team that shouldn’t be losing to. Nor has he or the team been able to beat the two part times in our league. In-fact, we have been worse under his watch and every time we play them we get absolutely pumped. 

You talk about cronyism. You my friend are what’s wrong with this club. You look at everything through red and yellow tinted glasses and think you are entitled to something. You are miles away from understanding football. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

So McCall is a good manager but his judgment is impaired. Is that not like a a skilled airline pilot with poor eyesight? 

No, you can't become a pilot with poor eyesight...B)