Dundee United v Partick Thistle

Would say that was our best performance of 2020. Draw probably a fair result. Defence looked OK with O'Ware and Brownlee solid. Bannigan played well he just needs to do that consistently. Robson followed on from Tuesday with another good performance. Penrice started poorly but improved as the game went on. Zannata looked lively when he came on just wish he'd shown a bit more composure with his chance near the end. 

Disappointing that we gifted them a goal, bad mistake by Cole. I suppose our goal was a bit of a gift too. Why the United defender felt the need to foul Robson, I doubt even he knows. 

Agree that Robson was excellent. Cole was also outstanding apart from the one horrendous blip that was spectacularly punished.

Much more energy and zip and generally getting stuck in than was the case on Tuesday. This greater evidence of commitment to the cause helped get the fans on board. However, our shooting was appalling and even if we are playing better, it is difficult to see where goals will come from,

This may be controversial but I would give serious consideration to benching Graham. He was badly off the pace today and seems to have a problem striking even simple passes cleanly. Maybe Mansell is due a start. He can do the heading stuff, but also provide the odd pass or cross to assist others to score.

Over the last 6 games in our league, 8 of the 10 teams have drawn half or more of their recent games.   Those draws have helped keep us in touch during this grim period of form but equally if that draw ratio  replicates for the remainder of the season, it will be very difficult to climb out of this. 

I really think this is a huge week with 6 points required from these 2 home games. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Agree that Robson was excellent. Cole was also outstanding apart from the one horrendous blip that was spectacularly punished.

Much more energy and zip and generally getting stuck in than was the case on Tuesday. This greater evidence of commitment to the cause helped get the fans on board. However, our shooting was appalling and even if we are playing better, it is difficult to see where goals will come from,

This may be controversial but I would give serious consideration to benching Graham. He was badly off the pace today and seems to have a problem striking even simple passes cleanly. Maybe Mansell is due a start. He can do the heading stuff, but also provide the odd pass or cross to assist others to score.

Agree about Mansell. 

Suspect I am in a minority of 1 (or perhaps 2) but from what I have seen of him I think there is a player in there.  With the correct support, on and off the field, he could be the long term replacement for Graham. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I'm kinda concerned with the 2 up, which ironically I find negative. If Graham is benched I'd far rather see us replace him with an attacking midfielder. Gordon played centrally imo would be considerably more preferable an option to Mansell, who I feel is too easily brushed off the ball to do the target stuff. Plus in any case anything that'll reduce the hoof ball would be a positive. 

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm kinda concerned with the 2 up, which ironically I find negative. If Graham is benched I'd far rather see us replace him with an attacking midfielder. Gordon played centrally imo would be considerably more preferable an option to Mansell, who I feel is too easily brushed off the ball to do the target stuff. Plus in any case anything that'll reduce the hoof ball would be a positive. 

LiB, nothing apropos your usual wisdom.

But why do we sign players like Graham who apparently go off the boil after a few weeks?

Are the management team not getting the best out of a squad of limited ability? Are they actually taking us backwards and down?

I had high hopes for McCall & Archie and the other bloke (Scally). But it feels like a Caldwell spiral again. 

The Jags deserve better 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

My wee pal? Oh dear! Show me one post where I said you have rubbished the club? You've lost it.

Yeah your right- i've completelty lost it.

I was just trying to help you stop making a tit of yourself but I am afraid that is a forlorn cause .

12 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Yeah your right- i've completelty lost it.

I was just trying to help you stop making a tit of yourself but I am afraid that is a forlorn cause .

Have a look at yourself in the mirror and you will see who's making a tit of himself. So can you show me where I said you rubbished the club?

Edited by Garscube Road End
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 11:18 PM, elevenone said:

Thanks for this ….. I made the mistake of also watching the earlier home game against DUFC …. but I turned it off after that first goal. What is the problem with Thistle and corner kicks?

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo
grammar

51 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Have a look at yourself in the mirror and you will see who's making a tit of himself. So can you show me where I said you rubbished the club?

I'm tired of this.

All I am saying is you are far too premature in firing off posts saying things like "crap club, crap manager, crap team"  as soon as we lose a game or even go a goal down. If thats they way you roll and you are comfortable with that crack on.

In my view, to which I am entitled, it is not the way for a supporter of a Club to behave and it makes you look like a tit. But as I say I am tired of this and you just  keep on doing what you do.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2020 at 6:29 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Lot happier at full time than I was at half time. Feel we deserved the draw. Defended reasonably well today. That's another hour or so the Graham / Rudden partnership has under its belt so hopefully we'll see something positive develop upfront. Repeating myself I know but we still won't play thru midfield preferring to try and win second balls off long punts. So our best hopes are the current three at the back shore up defence and Rudden and/or Graham can score off the long game.

Main thing tho' was getting a point and a noticeable improvement re the combative part of the game.

Dear ladyship, 

I tried to respond to your comments a few days ago but for some reason my post didn't make it to the thread. Apologies if I have missed the moment. 

During the recent Celtic Cup tie at the point in the second halt when we has them under a bit of pressure Pat Bonner said we need to work the ball better which I took to mean move the ball around (through Midfield) more effectively. 

I would value your opinion on why you think we don't play more through Midfield. 

My reason for asking is that notwithstanding we have a club legend in there (bannigan) our Midfield from what I have seen is generally posted missing even in games we win! Thoughts! 

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

I'm tired of this.

All I am saying is you are far too premature in firing off posts saying things like "crap club, crap manager, crap team"  as soon as we lose a game or even go a goal down. If thats they way you roll and you are comfortable with that crack on.

In my view, to which I am entitled, it is not the way for a supporter of a Club to behave and it makes you look like a tit. But as I say I am tired of this and you just  keep on doing what you do.

Tired of it. Fair enough. Why start it then? 

24 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Tired of it. Fair enough. Why start it then? 

You really struggle to follow any rational chain of thought dont you?

You become tired of something, so you stop doing it.

Do not respond to this.

I will be in contact next time you throw your toys out the pram when a result goes against us and you sart demanding resignations and wholescale changes. 

32 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Dear ladyship, 

I tried to respond to your comments a few days ago but for some reason my post didn't make it to the thread. Apologies if I have missed the moment. 

During the recent Celtic Cup tie at the point in the second halt when we has them under a bit of pressure Pat Bonner said we need to work the ball better which I took to mean move the ball around (through Midfield) more effectively. 

I would value your opinion on why you think we don't play more through Midfield. 

My reason for asking is that notwithstanding we have a club legend in there (bannigan) our Midfield from what I have seen is generally posted missing even in games we win! Thoughts! 

Think it's twofold. Firstly playing three at the back (none of which could be described as ball players in the Shaggy Paterson or first season Barton mold) there's a natural tendency to play the long ball. With two tall guys upfront in itself it shouldn't be entirely a wasteful tactic. That said it's highly predictable and currently looks like a low percentage of success. I mentioned winning second balls as neither forward has the first touch of the likes of Doolan but the accuracy of the punts in any case is usually woeful.

Secondly when we do try to effect a shorter game (usually limited to a throw from Fox) the speed of getting the ball to the likes of Cole, Bannigan or a wingback moving forward is lacking. That starts with the goalkeeper taking a couple of seconds too long, generating a knock on effect where the centrebacks (two of which ain't that comfortable on the ball as it is) rarely can play a safe short  ball forward. Safety first of course and after a few lateral passes they give up and either pass back to the keeper for a punt or lump it over midfield themselves. Bit of a mantra with me but there's nothing negative in sideways passes or pass backs to the keeper when it's done with pace and purpose. Our league winning side (ironically often with effective contribution from a more positive minded Scott Fox) was based on pace and possession.  

Obviously playing the ball out of defence is more difficult with a 3-5-2 but it was also noticeably too deliberate when we played with a full compliment of midfielders. I lose count of the times our wasteful punts produce a swift counterattack, which just puts more pressure on what's been a shaky defence as it is.  Unless you've got a lead to protect possession tho' is nothing without pace.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Emsca said:

You really struggle to follow any rational chain of thought dont you?

You become tired of something, so you stop doing it.

Do not respond to this.

I will be in contact next time you throw your toys out the pram when a result goes against us and you sart demanding resignations and wholescale changes. 

If you are tired of it, then why keep responding? But as you say you are entitled to your opinion as we all are. Let's hope Jags give me reason tomorrow to be gushing about them.

Edited by Garscube Road End