Dundee United v Partick Thistle

I mean, really, what's your problem GRE?

Why can't you just lie back and celebrate that fact, like real fans do, that the present manager's record is  worse than the last, that we haven't won a single game this calendar year (and don't look likely to), that we're headed for the third tier of Scottish with little  likelihood of bouncing  back, and that we're  being run by a bunch of clowns, some of whom have no real connection to the club, and whom  you wouldn't leave charge of the school tuck shop? 

16 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Why can't you just lie back and celebrate that fact, like real fans do, that the present manager's record is  worse than the last, that we haven't won a single game this calendar year (and don't look likely to), that we're headed for the third tier of Scottish with little  likelihood of bouncing  back, and that we're  being run by a bunch of clowns, some of whom have no real connection to the club, and whom  you wouldn't leave charge of the school tuck shop? 

Food for thought there!!

Seriously fed up with constant immature and frankly pathetic bickering on here. This isn't twitter, where any random person can turn up and badmouth any random person, and while there's not a lot can be done about it it's easily avoided.

This forum is a relatively small community of Thistle fans who want to discuss Thistle. It might be online, but anyone coming on here and slagging other people and just basically looking for trouble is acting like the ar*ehole in the pub, attention seeking, dominating discussions and ruining it for everyone else. It's on virtually every thread and therefore difficult to avoid. The rest of us just have to scroll through it to find the decent conversation which is regularly drowned out.

I'd ask people to stop, but I know that won't help. Anyway.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

If you are tired of it, then why keep responding? But as you say you are entitled to your opinion as we all are. Let's hope Jags give me reason tomorrow to be gushing about them.

Yes I very much hope so. 

42 minutes ago, allyo said:

Seriously fed up with constant immature and frankly pathetic bickering on here. This isn't twitter, where any random person can turn up and badmouth any random person, and while there's not a lot can be done about it it's easily avoided.

This forum is a relatively small community of Thistle fans who want to discuss Thistle. It might be online, but anyone coming on here and slagging other people and just basically looking for trouble is acting like the ar*ehole in the pub, attention seeking, dominating discussions and ruining it for everyone else. It's on virtually every thread and therefore difficult to avoid. The rest of us just have to scroll through it to find the decent conversation which is regularly drowned out.

I'd ask people to stop, but I know that won't help. Anyway.

At least you can "accidentally" bump into the ar*ehole in the pub and help him to splash beer all over himself,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I think we are all aware of the predicament the Club is currently in.

What is your solution / stategy to make things better? Please be specific.

From my point of view I think we should be backing McCall, encouraging the team and esentially hoping the performances and results improve. I agree the Boardroom situation needs sorting with a Board appointed by and the fully accountable to a transparent Fans representative body, the preferred outcome. 

11 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Think it's twofold. Firstly playing three at the back (none of which could be described as ball players in the Shaggy Paterson or first season Barton mold) there's a natural tendency to play the long ball. With two tall guys upfront in itself it shouldn't be entirely a wasteful tactic. That said it's highly predictable and currently looks like a low percentage of success. I mentioned winning second balls as neither forward has the first touch of the likes of Doolan but the accuracy of the punts in any case is usually woeful.

Secondly when we do try to effect a shorter game (usually limited to a throw from Fox) the speed of getting the ball to the likes of Cole, Bannigan or a wingback moving forward is lacking. That starts with the goalkeeper taking a couple of seconds too long, generating a knock on effect where the centrebacks (two of which ain't that comfortable on the ball as it is) rarely can play a safe short  ball forward. Safety first of course and after a few lateral passes they give up and either pass back to the keeper for a punt or lump it over midfield themselves. Bit of a mantra with me but there's nothing negative in sideways passes or pass backs to the keeper when it's done with pace and purpose. Our league winning side (ironically often with effective contribution from a more positive minded Scott Fox) was based on pace and possession.  

Obviously playing the ball out of defence is more difficult with a 3-5-2 but it was also noticeably too deliberate when we played with a full compliment of midfielders. I lose count of the times our wasteful punts produce a swift counterattack, which just puts more pressure on what's been a shaky defence as it is.  Unless you've got a lead to protect possession tho' is nothing without pace.

Very full explanation. Thank you. 

I remember the great Johann Cruyff saying something along the lines of "football is basically a simple game; all a player has to do is control the ball quickly; pass the ball accurately and with pace; move into position to receive the next pass" 

Two things which stick out about the above in addition to the emphasis on attack are technical ability and pace - player and ball! 

I think there is something in the above for us and if we could do all or most of this many of your observations would be addressed. Then there is defending.................... but that's another story! 

Again thanks.