Thistle v Alloa 14/03/20

Dick Dastardly

Never started one of these before, but I feel duty bound to set the thread off in the right perspective

• This is a so called must win game. We know what happens.
  • We are at home. We know what happens.
  • We are against a part-time side. We know what happens.
  • We are on a run of 3 games unbeaten. We know what happens.

Only one possible outcome and we are going to rely on a favour from Ayr on Friday.

Other punters' "must wins" are usually "my cannae get defeateds".  Probably still the case this weekend but I do admit time is hardly on our side.

Anyone who thinks we won't have to seriously up our game from last night is either deluded or considerably optimistic.  If Alloa were to play for a draw they will certainly go about it far more professionally than the Pars did. Whatever, if we try to clug, punt and muscle our way to victory we'll lose out. Play nearer 90 mins like we did for most of the first half last night then we've every chance of 3 points.

Clearly we've not taken our chances in the last three games, so there's no real reason to believe we won't require to create a good handful of opportunities on Saturday. I think we have to stay with the same formation and personnel but somehow we have to turn that into a positive. That's not that easy, but playing the ball on the ground more than that system usually dictates will be near essential.

This is a must win game. 2 League victories at home all season, the last one being against Morton in November. Our last league win Morton away 28th December. 5Points from 8 games, since January. Yes we have been playing better over the past couple of games. Although we have not overly worked any of the opposition goalies. We need to be more ruthless with any chances we create, including penalties. I would start with the same XI.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Other punters' "must wins" are usually "my cannae get defeateds".  Probably still the case this weekend but I do admit time is hardly on our side.

Anyone who thinks we won't have to seriously up our game from last night is either deluded or considerably optimistic.  If Alloa were to play for a draw they will certainly go about it far more professionally than the Pars did. Whatever, if we try to clug, punt and muscle our way to victory we'll lose out. Play nearer 90 mins like we did for most of the first half last night then we've every chance of 3 points

Clearly we've not taken our chances in the last three games, so there's no real reason to believe we won't require to create a good handful of opportunities on Saturday. I think we have to stay with the same formation and personnel but somehow we have to turn that into a positive. That's not that easy, but playing the ball on the ground more than that system usually dictates will be near essential.

Totally agree.

Same personnel and formation please just a bit more variety in our application. By all means test  their defence with some long balls but not every time.

Try and keep switched on all the time- an example was a Gordons run in behind straight from a throw -in early in last night game. an example of not doing so was the goal we conceded.

t

One for the stattos, if this game finishes 1-1:

Since the leagues went to 4 meetings a season have we ever a) drawn all 4 games with the same team in a season, and b) had the same score in all 4 games vs a team in a season

I think we drew all 3 with Killie in the top 6 season (which seems about 27 years ago now) but didn't play them a 4th time.