What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

55 minutes ago, banderas said:

i thought the same thing surely that cant be a consideration!!!  Thursdays game revenue and Sundays game revenue  may help  the residents of Govan's sporting facility. Their current cash flow finances look very vulnerable and  if started today it would put them into an extremely vulnerable position. Who represents Govan  in the Scottish Parliament ?

I am sure that Rangers fans would laugh in your face if you suggested the SNP were were looking out for them... 

1 hour ago, banderas said:

i thought the same thing surely that cant be a consideration!!!  Thursdays game revenue and Sundays game revenue  may help  the residents of Govan's sporting facility. Their current cash flow finances look very vulnerable and  if started today it would put them into an extremely vulnerable position. Who represents Govan  in the Scottish Parliament ?

Part of Govan is within the Glasgow Southside constituency, the rest is in Glasgow Pollok. The MSPs are Nicola Sturgeon and Humza Yousaf respectively. I don't think either are regulars in the Louden!

Looking in from Norway the whole UK and Scottish governments handling of this situation is appalling, that’s before they allow an old firm game to take place in 4 days time with a virus situation that is growing exponentially on a daily basis.

Then you have SFA / SPFL who have stated they will not help any of their member clubs that get into difficulties if season is cancelled, postponed or played behind closed doors.

I thought our board were amateurs, but the 2 governments and 2 football bodies make the club look ultra professional  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cyprusjag said:

If this situation continues into the summer it will be catastrophic for the world never mind Scottish football.There will be bankruptcies  and unemployment on an unprecedented scale.

Long John Silvers words come to mind " Them as dies 'll be the lucky ones"

Really?!?

You realise people actually are dying?

Latest update from club states the following 

1. From Monday until further notice, on the instruction of the Scottish Government, all games will effectively be played behind closed doors. We are looking at options on how we can allow supporters to follow games played at The Energy Check Stadium at Firhill in other ways and will approach the SPFL to ask that restrictions on streaming games live should be relaxed.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/coronavirus-advice-for-fans/

I think it is a reasonable response from the club given where it finds itself. I'm not really sure on the Scottish Government's thinking on banning public events from Monday. The situation in Scotland will see more cases but it is not the same yet as, say, Italy or Spain where the justification is greater just now. I  can't see the justification in going earlier than the rest of the UK. 

8 minutes ago, Arete said:

I think it is a reasonable response from the club given where it finds itself. I'm not really sure on the Scottish Government's thinking on banning public events from Monday. The situation in Scotland will see more cases but it is not the same yet as, say, Italy or Spain where the justification is greater just now. I  can't see the justification in going earlier than the rest of the UK. 

There might now be a quick about turn south of the border. That's the Arsenal manager, Arteta, testing positive to the virus. 

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

There might now be a quick about turn south of the border. That's the Arsenal manager, Arteta, testing positive to the virus. 

I'd imagine that after next Tuesday's discussions with UEFA there is a good chance the season will be abandoned. If the high point of the contagion is supposed to be 12-14 weeks away, then there's no time to reschedule games, and even the Euros will likely have to be postponed until summer 2021.

4 minutes ago, Arete said:

We should have done this a week ago. Italy delayed an now they are in a bad way. Ireland aren't messing about and other countries such as Japan that have taken a more strict approach have massively reduced the spread.

The UK government seems to be going for the idea of taking the 'hit' and hoping for the best. Boris's wooly words of 'We're going to lose many more loved ones' is effectively saying they are chosing to let people die.

Scotland has slightly more people over the age of 65 and when you couple that with the remoteness of population from hospitals  the impact could be proportionally worse in Scotland unless we take more measures.  I'm more surprised that the schools are staying open and this weekends events are going ahead.

1 minute ago, West Ender said:

Club say games behind closed doors after weekend, BBC say SPFL and SFA to meet government tomorrow-nothing decided yet. Club being pragmatic or jumping the gun?

The club (all clubs) will take a big hit financially with the new crowd restriction. If they choose to let 500 season ticket holders in to games it will actually cost them money. Seems like the best thing to do financially.

They will also, hopefully, have risk assessed the situation and are looking after the club employees by limiting contact with fans.

The clubs response looks pretty good and makes sense. I don't think you could reasonably expect them to do much else without something from the SFA or SPFL

SPFL and SFA look like they have been caught napping again. They should have been in a position to say to clubs that they can stream if they want and that they would advise games to be behind close doors. Instead they're doing what the always do and running away from making a decision whilst hoping the Scottish Government will make it for them.

• Like 1