What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

Season should be binned. I know we don't get the biggest crowds, but playing the games behind closed doors with less atmosphere than there is on the moon is ludicrous. I know that the teams that are at top of their league would not be happy, but the SFA/SPFL will need to sort that out, just like they have done in Germany.

Edited by Auld Jag

5 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Give promotion to the current top two teams in each league, thereby expanding the size of the leagues from next season, and admit two "new" teams to the bottom tier.

Good idea. The two new teams could be the winners of the Highland and lowland leagues.

32 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If the SFA/SPFL are going to call off the leagues then it should be done immediately.  Apart from the surmised contamination risk, playing the ugly sisters game in particular will sidetrack medical & support staff.  

The ugly sisters need this game to get their bigoted bile out their systems, it might be a while before the next one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

The ugly sisters need this game to get their bigoted bile out their systems, it might be a while before the next one.

My original thought was purely to understand  why this got a pass was this because it was one of the biggest economic incomes of the year for the constituency of Govan and who ever represented it would be an advocate for it to happen before any other stringent measures are implemented otherwise they might find that their representation might not be renewed regardless of their political party. 

The reasons given for implementing the 500 rule (twice as much as anywhere else ) was to relieve stress on the Emergency services  and resources ,   Is the game on Sunday one of the biggest drains for resources from medical to police to other services at any time of the year, regardless if its a win , lose or draw for any of the participants . Italy  learnt very heavy life or death lessons by being lax  on the initial social separation policies . As much as it goes against any personal principles of freedom of choice  the Sunday  game between those two lots should be postponed  for the good of the whole society. 

CNN italian report

Buckle up folks this not only will  have major health risks and horrible life and death consequences in the range of 1 to 3 %  for those that are vulnerable,  they don't often mention the upper end of the range. The UK is a similar population to Italy  and therefore it must have comparable levels of infections  6k to 10k.

One of the major consequences will be economic , this will be worse than 2008 , 1987 or 1929 take your pick. This will  be wide spread were even basic commerce of shops , hairdressers , restaurants are closed and restricted.  

for the heart of Catholicism , to stop all gatherings in ROME and  close access to  Church's  across the whole country is something that hasn't happened in 2020 years.

La Dolce Vita  please return quickly.

7 hours ago, Arete said:

I think it is a reasonable response from the club given where it finds itself. I'm not really sure on the Scottish Government's thinking on banning public events from Monday. The situation in Scotland will see more cases but it is not the same yet as, say, Italy or Spain where the justification is greater just now. I  can't see the justification in going earlier than the rest of the UK. 

The advice that is being given to the UK government is that there is no greater risk of catching covid19 at events. The decision to ban events is to ease the workload of other services required to be at those events.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, laukat said:

We should have done this a week ago. Italy delayed an now they are in a bad way. Ireland aren't messing about and other countries such as Japan that have taken a more strict approach have massively reduced the spread.

The UK government seems to be going for the idea of taking the 'hit' and hoping for the best. Boris's wooly words of 'We're going to lose many more loved ones' is effectively saying they are chosing to let people die.

Scotland has slightly more people over the age of 65 and when you couple that with the remoteness of population from hospitals  the impact could be proportionally worse in Scotland unless we take more measures.  I'm more surprised that the schools are staying open and this weekends events are going ahead.

I don’t get the closing schools bit. Children are less likely to get the virus or at least show symptoms of it. 

6 hours ago, Big Col said:

What if some players or club staff test positive? Are the SFA/SPFL going to force them to play games in grounds that are possibly contaminated?

At the end of the day, football is only a game and people’s well-being comes first.

I don’t disagree with your 1st point. But football isn’t just a game these days. For a lot of people it is their job and football clubs are businesses like any other business. 

10 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t get the closing schools bit. Children are less likely to get the virus or at least show symptoms of it. 

They are not less likely to get it, they are less likely to be affected by it effectively meaning they will carry it and pass it silently  to relatives who potentially are in the risk group (grandparents)

Edited by Norgethistle

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

They are not less likely to get it, they are less likely to be affected by it effectively meaning they will carry it and pass it silently 

That is a possibility.  Would it not be a better option to test some kids first before just closing the schools ? 

Just now, Lenziejag said:

That is a possibility.  Would it not be a better option to test some kids first before just closing the schools ? 

It’s not a possibility it’s a fact. 

Ive been on daily global risk calls for this with my company, which has taken the decision to have everyone who can work from home do that, for those that can’t we have lengthened the work day from 8 to 20 hrs to lessen the amount of people in proximity to each other. Banned all visitors and closed canteens. We employ 80000 globally so no small task or something that is taken lightly.

Currently the numbers double every 5 days till you reach around 300, then it’s every 3 days, but the numbers are delayed by 5 days due to incubation period from infection to symptoms. The numbers reported today are in fact Mondays.

Norwegian and Danish governments basically shut down the country’s yesterday, they have accepted WHO advise and learnings from other affected countries, UK decides to tough it out with “be ready for folk to die” statement from BoJo and delaying restricting large public events till after Sunday’s bigotfest by Sturgeon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

The advice that is being given to the UK government is that there is no greater risk of catching covid19 at events. The decision to ban events is to ease the workload of other services required to be at those events.

Yes, this is correct. So it isn't about limiting spread of virus apparently. But about easing the workload of public services. But public services in England are equally and in some cases already more stretched than in Scotland. Hence, can't really see need for different approach between governments. It is a mute point anyway as public events going same way in England by the looks of it. But, to keep to the football element of it all, if we're going to stop games just now then I'd favour the Championship closing till probably the end of April and we've had the first peak of cases then finish the season nearer the end of June

Regards the Alloa match, I think the advice given by the club regarding social distancing is fair, a smaller support works for us in this case, but I would also like to see the matches streamed to everyone who has already bought a ticket. [I have a ST, but do not have Jagzone]  

I wont attend the game on Saturday simply because I normally use public transport to get to Firhill and it's the bus journeys to the ground that bother me more than sitting in our stadium.

As far as I can hear from the radio and social media, the way forward looks likely to be a cancellation of Euro 2020 till 2021, and the UK leagues extended through into June and played behind closed doors when necessary. [Mind you this all works as long as the players don't get sick, and it appears there is almost no chance of that scenario] 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

The worldwide scientific and medical advise seems to getting sidelined at UK Government level in preference to behavioural scientists and physcologists.

Whilst no one knows if restrictive measures put in place by governements in other countries bar the UK at least the citizens know their government has done all it can to protect its citizens. Even Trump has put travel bans in place.

The UK government strategy is effectively let the old and weak die so we can get back to making money again. If it goes wrong Boris will be responsible for a lot of deaths.

The football season looks like it will be suspended and I suspect there will not be sufficient time to play the games before starting next season. So the only real options are declare this season null and void or end the season and allow all teams in a promotion slot to be promoted and cancel relagation this season. It would mean a 16 team SPL, 10 in the championship, 10 in league 1 and 10 in league 2. If the top division wants to get back to 12 teams make it 4 down 2 up over 2 seasons.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Regards the Alloa match, I think the advice given by the club regarding social distancing is fair, a smaller support works for us in this case, but I would also like to see the matches streamed to everyone who has already bought a ticket. [I have a ST, but do not have Jagzone]  

I wont attend the game on Saturday simply because I normally use public transport to get to Firhill and it's the bus journeys to the ground that bother me more than sitting in our stadium.

As far as I can hear from the radio and social media, the way forward looks likely to be a cancellation of Euro 2020 till 2021, and the UK leagues extended through into June and played behind closed doors when necessary. [Mind you this all works as long as the players don't get sick, and it appears there is almost no chance of that scenario] 

How do they plan to extend the season when many players contracts expire in May ? It's a great idea for big clubs with squads on 5 year contracts, but for the little guys that just does not work.

7 hours ago, banderas said:

... Italy  learnt very heavy life or death lessons by being lax  on the initial social separation policies . As much as it goes against any personal principles of freedom of choice  the Sunday  game between those two lots should be postponed  for the good of the whole society. 

CNN italian report

Buckle up folks this not only will  have major health risks and horrible life and death consequences in the range of 1 to 3 %  for those that are vulnerable,  they don't often mention the upper end of the range. The UK is a similar population to Italy  and therefore it must have comparable levels of infections  6k to 10k....

There is a major difference between Italy and the UK - the large influx of Chinese workers returning to the north of Italy after spending the Lunar New Year holiday at home. The Chinese Government (well, the Chinese Communist Party really, which is more powerful) knew of the new Coronavirus' existence in Wuhan in November 2019 but did not act until after the Lunar New Year in late January. Taiwan, which is in a similar situation and where many workers returned from China, had epidemic control measures already in place and has 45 cases of infection to date, in a population of 23 million with close links to China. Italy is paying for its connection to China. In the UK, there are plenty of Chinese people, but many are students, who cannot afford to take time off during the academic year, and others tend to be academics with similar considerations, if they're not already settled in the UK with families here. So the UK has more time to react than Italy had.

5 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Schools are always sinks of any number of diseases, and the children may show no symptoms while passing on their infections at school, ready to be delivered to, say, grandparents at home.