What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

3 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

I am sitting in the Society rooms just now in Glasgow city centre having  been unable to get a table in the Counting House both full to capacity .Just as many as would have been at Firhill tomorrow...

Not sure the point you're trying to make, J McD.

There'll have been more folk more tightly packed on public transport tonight than in most public houses but unlike sporting venues neither should put a strain on medical support (back up). If not us others in our business will. 

Mind you trying to get served in any JD Wetherspoon outlet is a strain in itself. :)

15 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Agree to an extent. The clubs should have their own contingency fund also.....but who could have predicted this to be fair!

I’m sure some of them have but if they’ve looking for guidance from the governing body , think they’re going to be disappointed.

1 hour ago, jag71 said:

May already have been mentioned, but best solution is finish the current season when it starts up again, say in September to November, then winter shut down, then switch to Summer football season from then on. Fixed!

That is actually the best idea of the lot...which is why it probably won't happen! We will end up with some over complicated fix no doubt.

18 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

That is actually the best idea of the lot...which is why it probably won't happen! We will end up with some over complicated fix no doubt.

Only if it benefits the “big clubs” I can definitely see 4 up from the championship with no relegation thus saving Hearts and welcoming back Dundee Utd, Dundee & ICT. The championship becoming an 18 team league, combining league 1 plus Cove and Edinburgh City from league 2.

9 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Only if it benefits the “big clubs” I can definitely see 4 up from the championship with no relegation thus saving Hearts and welcoming back Dundee Utd, Dundee & ICT. The championship becoming an 18 team league, combining league 1 plus Cove and Edinburgh City from league 2.

I'm a bit blinkered as I want to see larger leagues anyway, but I think that's roughly the way it should go. Perhaps only 2 up from our division to make a top league of 14 clubs retaining the split. The sticking point being the assurance of 4x OF televised games. That'll be even more sacrosanct this time round. How that would leave the size of the other leagues is anyone's guess. 

Lots of really interesting topics discussed on this thread plus comments from Scott Brown and Neil Lennon about Celtic being named Champions.  A simplistic, selfish and utterly predictable response  from them. 

If the league programme can't be completed on time which now looks likely the options should be:

1. Extend the season, or

2. Declare the season null and void. - the honourable thing to do - and start all over again next season. 

3. 'Next season'  should start much earlier (to relieve financial pressure on clubs) in June 2020 and finish in March/April 2021.

4. The start of subsequent football seasons should be staggered by a month until we are back to normal (assuming the SPL & SFA want to get back to normal) cycle. 

I wonder if the Junior Football Association voting to become part of the 'pyramid' scheme of senior football could help a possible Premier League / Championship / League 1 and League 2 reconstruction?

I have to say I don't know enough about the proposed changes to voice an opinion, but this upset in season 19 / 20 might be a good opportunity to totally rethink the Scottish football leagues set-up?

On the separate subject of taking advantage on the coronavirus to reconstruct the leagues. 

I think we jags fans are giving the SPL and SFA too much credit for having brains. 

Their objective will be to get clubs back playing as soon as possible to earn and accumulate revenue. Nothing wrong with that but  I haven't seen any evidence of, or desire, for reconstruction. 

I would love bigger leagues with 2 divisions of 16 and one of 10 (or 12 - two new clubs needed). This won't happen as it won't meet the unspoken criteria of 4 games against the ugly sisters.  

I think we are stuck with the current structure though 4 divisions of 12 (6 new teams) could work! 

There is no vision or leadership in the higher levels of Scottish football. Its all me, me, me as Brown and Lennon have amply demonstrated. 

22 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

On the separate subject of taking advantage on the coronavirus to reconstruct the leagues. 

I think we jags fans are giving the SPL and SFA too much credit for having brains. 

Their objective will be to get clubs back playing as soon as possible to earn and accumulate revenue. Nothing wrong with that but  I haven't seen any evidence of, or desire, for reconstruction. 

I would love bigger leagues with 2 divisions of 16 and one of 10 (or 12 - two new clubs needed). This won't happen as it won't meet the unspoken criteria of 4 games against the ugly sisters.  

I think we are stuck with the current structure though 4 divisions of 12 (6 new teams) could work! 

There is no vision or leadership in the higher levels of Scottish football. Its all me, me, me as Brown and Lennon have amply demonstrated. 

Agree. When the solution is announced we will be told whatever it is, it will be done to protect the integrity and future of Scottish football. Whereas we all know it is done to keep a certain couple of teams happy.

56 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Lots of really interesting topics discussed on this thread plus comments from Scott Brown and Neil Lennon about Celtic being named Champions.  A simplistic, selfish and utterly predictable response  from them. 

If the league programme can't be completed on time which now looks likely the options should be:

1. Extend the season, or

2. Declare the season null and void. - the honourable thing to do - and start all over again next season. 

3. 'Next season'  should start much earlier (to relieve financial pressure on clubs) in June 2020 and finish in March/April 2021.

4. The start of subsequent football seasons should be staggered by a month until we are back to normal (assuming the SPL & SFA want to get back to normal) cycle. 

The season will not be declared null and void as that would have implications for UEFA tournaments - UEFA will not suspend Champions League/Europa League so by definition that requires member countries to make a decision on the identity of their participants.

The above assumes that football can restart within the next six months.

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

Depending on how long the suspension goes on for, there may be a number of clubs that aren’t around any longer.

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I would love bigger leagues with 2 divisions of 16 and one of 10 (or 12 - two new clubs needed). This won't happen as it won't meet the unspoken criteria of 4 games against the ugly sisters

Easy fix to that - just allow them to play a home and away two leg competition and award them a new trophy called thee Bigot Cup - hey presto two additional games to compensate for the loss of a meaningless league match 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The season will not be declared null and void as that would have implications for UEFA tournaments - UEFA will not suspend Champions League/Europa League so by definition that requires member countries to make a decision on the identity of their participants.

The above assumes that football can restart within the next six months.

While i do not disagree with you. I think a lot of people, clubs and organisations will need to put their self interest/preservation attitudes to one side. The current situation is unprecedented and not just affecting football as other sporting events that draw big crowds like Tennis and F1 have also been cancelled for a number of weeks/months. And of course everybody's life will probably be affected sooner or later with all the measures that will be brought in. Some big tournaments might just need to be written of for this season/next season.I understand that will badly affect the finances of football clubs/organisations, but as i have said it will not be just football or even sport that will be taking the hit. The only certainty is  a lot of uncertain times ahead.

• Like 1

This has out stripped any consideration around sport and Scottish football in general , the fact that the national league in England has fixtures still taking place  explains the little Englander , brexit attitude , Am  sure that's a grade one Darwin award nomination. The Chinese have  been dealing with this since November 2019 and had seen no improvements and by improvement i mean flattening of infection  rates until they introduced draconian measures , which based on  how their society is organised  may not be acceptable to peoples notions in the western world.

Anyone else listening to Sportsound?  Kerridene Nittsan (apologies about spelling) seemed to be saying that he had learned from an unnamed source high up in the SPFL (?) that there will be no attempt to doctor season 2020-21 to accommodate a finish 2019-20.  He seemed to be suggesting that the mood music beginning to emerge is for the season to be finished now, wherever clubs are sitting.  That surely would relegate Thistle who sit one point behind QOS with a game in hand.  Someone reassure me that I misheard please!

14 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Anyone else listening to Sportsound?  Kerridene Nittsan (apologies about spelling) seemed to be saying that he had learned from an unnamed source high up in the SPFL (?) that there will be no attempt to doctor season 2020-21 to accommodate a finish 2019-20.  He seemed to be suggesting that the mood music beginning to emerge is for the season to be finished now, wherever clubs are sitting.  That surely would relegate Thistle who sit one point behind QOS with a game in hand.  Someone reassure me that I misheard please!

On Thursday evening the SPFL announced the weekend games were going ahead then 12 hours later had binned them all, so I wouldn't put much credence into the thoughts of this 'unnamed source' to be honest.

10 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Yes i am listening to it, but i missed the first 10minutes or so. I think it is possible they might use average points if they decide to end the season as is. That would mean we would only have 0.96 point per game, whereas QOS would have 1point per game. Of course there is play offs etc also to be decided. As i have said very uncertain times ahead. The only certainty,sadly i think is Thistle will be a division 1 club when all this is over. When i say sadly obviously i mean from a Thistle supporting perspective, the bigger picture of people dying is much sadder.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm a bit blinkered as I want to see larger leagues anyway, but I think that's roughly the way it should go. Perhaps only 2 up from our division to make a top league of 14 clubs retaining the split. The sticking point being the assurance of 4x OF televised games. That'll be even more sacrosanct this time round. How that would leave the size of the other leagues is anyone's guess. 

A champions playoff between the top 2 in the league would solve that (it works in rugby league) and also keep interest until the final day

58 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Can't happen here (as Ronnie James Dio sang in 1981).

The current Championship table shows that some teams (including Thistle) have played less games than others. A solution is required that is equitable to - and presumably agreed by - all member clubs. Nobody will agree to be relegated on the basis of having played a game less, particularly when playing and winning that game might take them out of the relegation places.

I had a large diatribe prepared to post around radio shortbread and the myopic discussions and agendas being played out on air  with no regards to the priority that football especially where Scottish football fit into the scheme of things and those trying to bait people for comments for headlines in the media.

I also thought don' they understand they are in the same grouping as activities such as tourism, airlines, shipping. there was no realism until I heard Mulreaney interview, Administration will be an activity that will come to the fore, they have a fiscal responsibility, if it not there in terms of cash flow then they must call it. Only Miller and Mulreaney have any idea of the wider consequences. The rest of the freelancers should be looking over their shoulders as they will also fall into those circumstances. People and organisations looking for bridging loans and furloughing staff both playing and administrative will be on menu’s.

As for the interviews of the people in the street and pubs, words fail me.

Edited by banderas

If, say, Hamilton were at the foot of the Premier League, I would be more concerned about a “finish it where it stands” decision that would relegate Hamilton and Thistle.

However, Hearts may be our saviours as they, their fans and in particular Anne Budge, will have sufficient clout in the corridors of power to prevent such a scenario.

50 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

If, say, Hamilton were at the foot of the Premier League, I would be more concerned about a “finish it where it stands” decision that would relegate Hamilton and Thistle.

However, Hearts may be our saviours as they, their fans and in particular Anne Budge, will have sufficient clout in the corridors of power to prevent such a scenario.

At least if they do decided to finish it as it stands we can pretend that the SPFL have screwed us again.

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

According to the pundits on radio Scotland, Hearts fans are saying they don't want to be saved from relegation by default. If the season is finished now, they accept they will be relegated.