What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

37 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

According to the pundits on radio Scotland, Hearts fans are saying they don't want to be saved from relegation by default. If the season is finished now, they accept they will be relegated.

They may, but the club (and other clubs)  won’t, if they relegate clubs who mathematically could still play their way out of it, then it would end up in court

39 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

According to the pundits on radio Scotland, Hearts fans are saying they don't want to be saved from relegation by default. If the season is finished now, they accept they will be relegated.

I would find it difficult to believe that sporting integrity had been upheld if Thistle were relegated with a quarter of the season to play and winning just a single game in hand would have us off the bottom. There is no precedent for that.

9 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

They may, but the club (and other clubs)  won’t, if they relegate clubs who mathematically could still play their way out of it, then it would end up in court

7 minutes ago, milhouse said:

I would find it difficult to believe that sporting integrity had been upheld if Thistle were relegated with a quarter of the season to play and winning just a single game in hand would have us off the bottom. There is no precedent for that.

After the double vote and change of ground sharing rules that promoted ICT and relegated us, nothing would surprise me. Sporting integrity is a phrase they will use a lot, but at the end of the day will it be upheld? 

14 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

After the double vote and change of ground sharing rules that promoted ICT and relegated us, nothing would surprise me. Sporting integrity is a phrase they will use a lot, but at the end of the day will it be upheld? 

Difference this time being Hearts will be our pals. 

Btw I would not claim to have an inkling as to which clubs are best equipped to survive the loss of gate revenue but logically those with the higher ST holding to pay at the gate revenue should be relatively secure. That I'd surmise places us in a particularly dodgy situation. Also the amount of contracted players past May against non contracted players should be relevant. And we've been unfortunately quite busy in that market.

Survival is clearly the name of the game. We don't compete in Europe so downscaling in itself is not a serious problem providing other clubs are forced to downscale at the same rate. As an aside I certainly  don't need to be "in the know" when I predict Dundee United would be in a perilous state if they don't compete in the top division next term.

I'd pretty much given up posting on the forum  as I couldn't bothered getting into petty spats with people (life is too short) but more on grounds that there are more important issues like Brexit (still to play out) and the climate crisis.   It's a bit surprising that one or two are posting humorous images (each to their own) or others  can be so  fixated with league structures etc.   

The World Health Organisation and 229 scientists have questioned the UK Govt strategy which relies on the herd immunity approach whereby millions will have to be infected to, the theory goes, protect everyone in the medium to longer term.   One big gamble from a Government which,  as other posters have pointed out,  is at odds with the approach of many other countries.  The same government (Cummings/Patel/ Gove/Johnston et al) that have dismissed the views of recognised experts and just recently waged war against the civil service that they now desperately relying on.    So may well be talking about tens and quite possibly hundreds of thousands of people perishing.    Factor in the huge economic cost, destitution,  and perhaps social breakdown on the streets...….

Sorry to be so miserable, perhaps if there is something good to come out of this will be that everyone has a chance to reflect on what is important in life, foster a sense of community which has gone by the way-side in modern life and look out for the vulnerable in society after 10 years of austerity.   Lastly,  I'm sure out football club will survive because we will rally round and won't let it sink.    Take care everyone. 

55 minutes ago, macaroon said:

I'd pretty much given up posting on the forum  as I couldn't bothered getting into petty spats with people (life is too short) but more on grounds that there are more important issues like Brexit (still to play out) and the climate crisis.   It's a bit surprising that one or two are posting humorous images (each to their own) or others  can be so  fixated with league structures etc.   

The World Health Organisation and 229 scientists have questioned the UK Govt strategy which relies on the herd immunity approach whereby millions will have to be infected to, the theory goes, protect everyone in the medium to longer term.   One big gamble from a Government which,  as other posters have pointed out,  is at odds with the approach of many other countries.  The same government (Cummings/Patel/ Gove/Johnston et al) that have dismissed the views of recognised experts and just recently waged war against the civil service that they now desperately relying on.    So may well be talking about tens and quite possibly hundreds of thousands of people perishing.    Factor in the huge economic cost, destitution,  and perhaps social breakdown on the streets...….

Sorry to be so miserable, perhaps if there is something good to come out of this will be that everyone has a chance to reflect on what is important in life, foster a sense of community which has gone by the way-side in modern life and look out for the vulnerable in society after 10 years of austerity.   Lastly,  I'm sure out football club will survive because we will rally round and won't let it sink.    Take care everyone. 

If the maths are correct then the following happens, based on the assumptions of herd immunity and WHO figures for mild, critical and deadly.

60% needs infected = 40 million of population

80% of those infected will be “mild” = 32 million

20 % of those infected will be severe and need ICU = 8 million 

Of the 8 million classed severe 25 % (5% total infected) will die = 2.5 million

Thats before you factor in the total number of ICU beds in UK = 4500 approx

UK government is ignoring the advice of WHO, China, Italy and 300 UK scientists (Who wrote an open letter today) and basing it on a behavioral model not an epidemic model

As the UK peak for this bug is forecasted to be late April / early May there is, at this point in time, realistically no prospect of the remaining league matches being played unless it's behind closed doors.

If that's not palatable to the clubs then league positions should be called either as they currently are or at some fractional point in the season (e.g. quarter, half or three quarter way) & we should just accept it whatever way the chips fall.

Irrespective of whether you are believing everything you're being fed by the panic driven 24/7 media or a dyed in the wool cynicist like me, this season is dead in the water & the SFA/SPFL muppets should meet soon & show some leadership by making the required decisions. 

Edited by gianlucatoni

17 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

If the maths are correct then the following happens, based on the assumptions of herd immunity and WHO figures for mild, critical and deadly.

60% needs infected = 40 million of population

80% of those infected will be “mild” = 32 million

20 % of those infected will be severe and need ICU = 8 million 

Of the 8 million classed severe 25 % (5% total infected) will die = 2.5 million

Thats before you factor in the total number of ICU beds in UK = 4500 approx

UK government is ignoring the advice of WHO, China, Italy and 300 UK scientists (Who wrote an open letter today) and basing it on a behavioral model not an epidemic model

Pretty much spot on

The real issues won't be ICU beds, the hospitals have lots of other beds that could be utilised assuming non-emergency treatment stops but they won't have sufficient ventilators that are essential to the care of the sick that this virus will generate.

If you are over 65 you can't afford to get sick as the current UK Government approach will lead to rationing of treatment. Italy are effectively not allowing over 65's access to ICU.

The UK Government should have fully adopted the WHO advice.  Reducing the rate of infection is essential not to stop the peak of infection but to allow time for ventilators to be built in the numbers required and allow the NHS a chance to changes its entire model of care. Current NHS models are built on the basis that relatively few people get seriously sick whereas this virus will mean a lot of people will get seriously sick.

In the meantime if you are over 65 isolate yourself. Don't offer to babysit the grandkids when the schools shut, try to stay at home and avoid coming into contact with anyone for the next few weeks at least. For the over 65's this is most defintely not just another flu.

18 minutes ago, laukat said:

Pretty much spot on

The real issues won't be ICU beds, the hospitals have lots of other beds that could be utilised assuming non-emergency treatment stops but they won't have sufficient ventilators that are essential to the care of the sick that this virus will generate.

If you are over 65 you can't afford to get sick as the current UK Government approach will lead to rationing of treatment. Italy are effectively not allowing over 65's access to ICU.

The UK Government should have fully adopted the WHO advice.  Reducing the rate of infection is essential not to stop the peak of infection but to allow time for ventilators to be built in the numbers required and allow the NHS a chance to changes its entire model of care. Current NHS models are built on the basis that relatively few people get seriously sick whereas this virus will mean a lot of people will get seriously sick.

In the meantime if you are over 65 isolate yourself. Don't offer to babysit the grandkids when the schools shut, try to stay at home and avoid coming into contact with anyone for the next few weeks at least. For the over 65's this is most defintely not just another flu.

I'm 64 and my lungs have seen better days. I'm terrified. I have no faith in the UK Government but in all honesty, I don't think there's much anyone can do to keep the population safe.

I work in an industry largely populated by freelancers. I run a busy workshop with 20 carpenters. On Friday I took the decision to stop work in order to protect myself. If I'm lucky, I now face weeks, possibly months without income.

I sincerely hope that PTFC are able to get through this but I have more pressing matters on my mind.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

We have played 1 game less than QOS and 2 points behind them. If we were to win that game in hand we would be 9th and 1 point ahead of QOS having played the same amount of games. If we were relegated now having played 1 game less than QOS, that cannot be right. Where would their sporting integrity  be then?

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Can't happen here (as Ronnie James Dio sang in 1981).

The current Championship table shows that some teams (including Thistle) have played less games than others. A solution is required that is equitable to - and presumably agreed by - all member clubs. Nobody will agree to be relegated on the basis of having played a game less, particularly when playing and winning that game might take them out of the relegation places.

FFS Barney, Joe Lynn Turner sang this - at least two singers on from Ronnie James Dio in Blackmore’s revolving door musical employment agency,

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I think they will wait to see what the English Leagues decide, then quickly copy it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macaroon said:

Well thank goodness no one's using these tragic events as an excuse to indulge in petty political point scoring.

13 hours ago, partickthedog said:

If, say, Hamilton were at the foot of the Premier League, I would be more concerned about a “finish it where it stands” decision that would relegate Hamilton and Thistle.

However, Hearts may be our saviours as they, their fans and in particular Anne Budge, will have sufficient clout in the corridors of power to prevent such a scenario.

Don't forget our own big hitter: J. Lowe.......

13 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

What percentage of them were Celtic supporting pundits who asked enough Hearts fans until they found one who said they should be relegated ?

5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

What percentage of them were Celtic supporting pundits who asked enough Hearts fans until they found one who said they should be relegated ?

Or walked down Leith and asked "are you a football fan? Do you think Hearts should be relegated?"

8 hours ago, AndyMac said:

I think they will wait to see what the English Leagues decide, then quickly copy it.

Which is what they’ve always done, except for the one time they didn’t and came up with the idiotic idea of the splitting our premier league two thirds of the way through the season.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how there can be a quick decision on what to do with the remainder of the football season. The suspension looks like it will last for a while and the first thing the SPFL is going to have to find out before making a decision is which clubs are still going to be operating at the point football restarts. Promotion and relegation from the current season may be a moot point if 2 or 3 clubs go to the wall.

Its hard to see how some won't go into administration and if so does the points penalty apply? In our league a 15 points deduction is almost the difference between second top and second bottom.

I've seen a few sevco fans calling for this season to be a void to deny celtic 9IAR but Sevco finances are pretty precarious and they really need access to the prize money for finishing second now to have a chance to survive.

12 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

To be honest, the Sun is not a newspaper I would rely on for broadminded and balanced reporting, they write headlines to sell units, nothing else.

Something that may be of interest to us all is an animation issued by Worldwide Engineering, shows the infection numbers of this virus from early in the year till now. The plan is they will update this animation weekly

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo
grammar ..... again!

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

4 hours ago, scotty said:

Or walked down Leith and asked "are you a football fan? Do you think Hearts should be relegated?"

It was on social media, like twitter.