What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

50 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

After tonight's announcement the footballing authorities should grow a pair and cancel this season officially. 

I agree but i think the teams at the top (even though i hate celtic and dundee utd with a passion) should be rewarded. They actually need to grow a pair and increase the leagues. Even if they do it for a couple of seasons as a test and then decide on mass relegations it needs to happen.

7 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I agree but i think the teams at the top (even though i hate celtic and dundee utd with a passion) should be rewarded. They actually need to grow a pair and increase the leagues. Even if they do it for a couple of seasons as a test and then decide on mass relegations it needs to happen.

What the SPFL should do is pay out the prize money on League positions as they are just now to help keep the Clubs afloat .

They should render the season null and void , regardless of whether Celtic or Dundee United are top of their respective leagues.

The circumstances just now are from a horror movie and people are losing their lives due to this pandemic, 

Just now football is of little consequence.

• Like 1

How about 2 leagues of 22 for next season. This would be made up of combining Premier and championship leagues, for league A. League B would be leagues 1 and 2 plus Brora and either Kelty or Bonnyrigg from lowland. Play each other twice, where you finished would decide what league you play in 21/22 season.  Sizes of new leagues for 21/22  would be decided before next season starts.To make time for more league games cancel both league and challenge cups for next season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

How about 2 leagues of 22 for next season. This would be made up of combining Premier and championship leagues, for league A. League B would be leagues 1 and 2 plus Brora and either Kelty or Bonnyrigg from lowland. Play each other twice, where you finished would decide what league you play in 21/22 season.  Sizes of new leagues for 21/22  would be decided before next season starts.To make time for more league games cancel both league and challenge cups for next season.

good shout but probs too sensible

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

What the SPFL should do is pay out the prize money on League positions as they are just now to help keep the Clubs afloat .

They should render the season null and void , regardless of whether Celtic or Dundee United are top of their respective leagues.

The circumstances just now are from a horror movie and people are losing their lives due to this pandemic, 

yes circumstances are far from ideal but we can get on with life or sit cowering in fear, shit happens if yer numbers up it is up. i would rather escape the panic and hysteria and think of something else tbh

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree, thats a sensible idea however the powers that be would be horrified at the ugly sisters only facing each other twice.  Whatever comes out of this will have them in the forefront of any decision.

11 hours ago, Pinhead said:

On the last sentence, I could no agree more. Until we know the exit strategy from this lockdown there is absolutely no point in making any decision on this or any future season. Many are now talking about this going on for anything upto 2 years, and if that was the case, how many of the current clubs would still be in existence ? Aberdeen's chairman was saying that they would struggle after 6 months and if the clubs survive. We may not have 2 Ugly Sisters to worry about when football resumes. Besides, how many of the grounds would pass safety inspections without any stadium  maintenance. 

And then there are the legal consequences of any termination of the current season to consider. For example, The IOC and Tokyo organizing comity are at loggerheads about cancelling the Olympics. As there is no WHO diktat to cover that period, neither can pull the trigger or the other will sue them for billions due to breach of contract. The SFA/SPFL would have a similar issue with breach of contract litigation from TV companies and other suppliers if they were to cancel the rest of the current season without legal advice that it is impossible to continue. The current postponement is only until April, so it is therefore not yet impossible and therefore exposed to litigation.  

We must hold tight and concentrate on what is important. Bill Shankley was wrong. Life and death is more important than football. Football will survive in some form, but until we know what form that takes, lets not make any rash decisions now.

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Like 1

My alternative:

Wait until COVID - 19 had passed and things are back to normal, no matter when the 'all-clear' is given. Continue this season to it's eventual outcome. Which might well take us to December. Play a shortened 'home' and 'away' (once only) season in the Winter of 2020/21,  Spring of 2021. Let these results also stand. All fixed for a full season in 2021/22.

Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

On the last sentence, I could no agree more. Until we know the exit strategy from this lockdown there is absolutely no point in making any decision on this or any future season. Many are now talking about this going on for anything upto 2 years, and if that was the case, how many of the current clubs would still be in existence ? Aberdeen's chairman was saying that they would struggle after 6 months and if the clubs survive. We may not have 2 Ugly Sisters to worry about when football resumes. Besides, how many of the grounds would pass safety inspections without any stadium  maintenance. 

And then there are the legal consequences of any termination of the current season to consider. For example, The IOC and Tokyo organizing comity are at loggerheads about cancelling the Olympics. As there is no WHO diktat to cover that period, neither can pull the trigger or the other will sue them for billions due to breach of contract. The SFP/SPFL would have a similar issue with breach of contract litigation from TV companies and other suppliers if they were to cancel the rest of the current season without legal advice that it is impossible to continue. The current postponement is only until April, so it is therefore not yet impossible and therefore exposed to litigation.  

We must hold tight and concentrate on what is important. Bill Shankley was wrong. Life and death is more important than football. Football will survive in some form, but until we know what form that takes, lets not make any rash decisions now.

According to the Robert-Koch-Institut in Germany, a pandemic like this comes in waves and is likely to last for two years. That would suggest that, unless there are surprisingly rapid breakthroughs in testing and/or in vaccination development, this season is gone and when the next season would have been played is a wipeout too.

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

venture capitalists or asset strippers? …. or something in between?

or just good guys interested in investing and building a football club to serve the community?

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Reading in that Telegraph article that Dundee Utd have placed their entire staff and players on furlough. That's the Dundee Utd who were reportedly paying wages well in excess of their turnover for the second consecutive season.

Can you cut and paste the article? 

12 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Can you cut and paste the article? 

Sorry, don't think I could find it. I believe their last audited accounts showed something like 130% wages to turnover. Their current situation is based on the fact the 130% or whatever didn't include Shankland. I wouldn't imagine then that the figure would've come down and would be extremely unlikely it's dropped anywhere near below 100%.  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

On 3/23/2020 at 10:27 PM, Auld Jag said:

There's a very big question for Thistle in that idea. Which league would we play in?

Assuming that you're just basing it on current leagues, and we're in league A, I think it looks a lot like a plan put together by a Thistle fan. :happy2: