What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

3 hours ago, allyo said:

There's a very big question for Thistle in that idea. Which league would we play in?

Assuming that you're just basing it on current leagues, and we're in league A, I think it looks a lot like a plan put together by a Thistle fan. :happy2:

You may think that, but i could not possibly say.:D

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

I dont see any other way out, bar league reconstruction. 

I have to agree. There is no way that the current season will be restarted so the only options will be current places or null and void. However the SFA/SPFL can’t afford to unilaterally do that now. If they did they would risk sanctions from UEFA and financial compensation from TV companies and league sponsors for breach of contract. The only way to get out of this is to hold tight and wait for the government to make it legally impossible to recommence

I can’t see there being any competitive football until at least August. Assuming restrictions are lifted at the end of June. The players will have been off for 3 months, which is longer than close season. They will need at least a month to get back up to fitness. Who knows what the SFA/SPFL will do.

Aberdeen chairman speaking on radio Scotland  from America said all American major sports preparing to play competitions behind closed doors as they don't expect to be able to play in front of any crowds this year.  Raith Rovers chairman said they should be ok until June/July, but after that they would be in trouble. Also said about another 4/6 clubs in 1st and 2nd division will be in trouble at the same time without any football.

I wonder what'll happen with players whose contracts expire at the end of May. The manager no doubt wants some to stay on, so they might be offered an extension regardless. Those who were going to be released..... well unfortunately, I don't think the club has any obligations (legal or moral) to keep them on.... if they don't quickly find another club, they will be like any other people who don't have a contract, coronavirus or not, just as happens every year.

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I wonder what'll happen with players whose contracts expire at the end of May. The manager no doubt wants some to stay on, so they might be offered an extension regardless. Those who were going to be released..... well unfortunately, I don't think the club has any obligations (legal or moral) to keep them on.... if they don't quickly find another club, they will be like any other people who don't have a contract, coronavirus or not, just as happens every year.

Contracts ending is why I can’t see how fair it would be to complete the season later in the year. Some teams will be totally different to the players  that should have been playing in March & April  How would our rivals feel if played our pre contracts and they proved vital in getting us off the bottom of the league? Alternatively if the league tries to stop teams signing players there will be some clubs unable to play games because contracts have ended.

I am, as some posters may have picked up, very cynical about our governing bodies and have very little faith in the SPFL/SFA/SPL! 

I suspect they are currently trying to come up with proposals that will promote Dundee Utd and keep Hearts in the PL! 

I suspect PTFC is a side issue of little concern to the powers that be! 

The problem the authorities face is that the above can't be achieved within the current league structure but there seems, amongst SPL Clubs, no enthusiasm for reconstruction.  So between a rock and a hard place comes to mind! 

48 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

Contracts ending is why I can’t see how fair it would be to complete the season later in the year. Some teams will be totally different to the players  that should have been playing in March & April  How would our rivals feel if played our pre contracts and they proved vital in getting us off the bottom of the league? Alternatively if the league tries to stop teams signing players there will be some clubs unable to play games because contracts have ended.

No matter what is decided, it isn’t going to be fair.  For me the fairest option is to finish the season even if it is with different squads. We already can have different squads in the 2nd half of the season to the 1st.

A few clubs might try to buy success, but with only 8 matches left it’s difficult to see how that isn’t just a gamble.

I know Neil McCann has not been everybody's cup off tea on this forum, but on radio Scotland i have heard him say on at least 3 occasions it would be wrong to relegate Thistle as we have 1 game in hand and if we won it we would come of the bottom of the league.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

No matter what is decided, it isn’t going to be fair.  For me the fairest option is to finish the season even if it is with different squads. We already can have different squads in the 2nd half of the season to the 1st.

A few clubs might try to buy success, but with only 8 matches left it’s difficult to see how that isn’t just a gamble.

It gets even more unfathomable if you are to anticipate clubs going into administration. Under current rules clubs all over the place could be getting docked 10 points. I should imagine the consensus would to waive that rule due to the special circumstances but if it's a case of carrying on where we left off it would be a case of changing a rule during a season.

I think the one thing we all can agree on is there's no fair outcome. I still think the fairest option is end the season as it is and to allow promotion with no relegation. Of course I would say that with us sitting in bottom place and being a strong proponent for larger leagues.:)

Making any decision ahead of the general removal of isolation and the reopening of the economy - including sporting fixtures - is premature.

The sporting powers that be should have the common sense (ahem) to say that until they know when any kind of normal service can be resumed they cannot make a decision on how to proceed with the leagues.

It really is that simple a statement to make in these circumstances.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It gets even more unfathomable if you are to anticipate clubs going into administration. Under current rules clubs all over the place could be getting docked 10 points. I should imagine the consensus would to waive that rule due to the special circumstances but if it's a case of carrying on where we left off it would be a case of changing a rule during a season.

I think the one thing we all can agree on is there's no fair outcome. I still think the fairest option is end the season as it is and to allow promotion with no relegation. Of course I would say that with us sitting in bottom place and being a strong proponent for larger leagues.:)

I’m not sure that you can just waive the points deduction for administration. Firstly that would not be fair on clubs already in that situation. Bolton might have something to say about that unless you give them their points back too. Secondly it would be a get out of jail free card for any club wanting to clear their debts. 

I have to agree with Mr Rubble. Our authorities are pretty good about doing nothing and that is exactly what they need to do now.

13 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I am, as some posters may have picked up, very cynical about our governing bodies and have very little faith in the SPFL/SFA/SPL! 

I suspect they are currently trying to come up with proposals that will promote Dundee Utd and keep Hearts in the PL! 

I suspect PTFC is a side issue of little concern to the powers that be! 

The problem the authorities face is that the above can't be achieved within the current league structure but there seems, amongst SPL Clubs, no enthusiasm for reconstruction.  So between a rock and a hard place comes to mind! 

I share your cynicism about the Governing bodies and their priorities.

I agree they will be trying to conjure up a solution which gets both  Dundee Utd and Hearts in the top division. Lets not kid ourselves though, their overriding objective will be to keep the arse cheeks happy ; ensure there are a minimum of 4 OF games for television and to avoid legal action.

The main hope which I cling to for the Jags is Maxie. Surely he will not allow PTFC to be forgotten about??

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

I agree they will be trying to conjure up a solution which gets both  Dundee Utd and Hearts in the top division. Lets not kid ourselves though, their overriding objective will be to keep the arse cheeks happy ; ensure there are a minimum of 4 OF games for television and to avoid legal action.

The main hope which I cling to for the Jags is Maxie. Surely he will not allow PTFC to be forgotten about??

An there lies the problem. One arse cheek will be pissed off if Celtic are awarded the title, while the other will be pissed off if they don't get it. 

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I’m not sure that you can just waive the points deduction for administration. Firstly that would not be fair on clubs already in that situation. Bolton might have something to say about that unless you give them their points back too. Secondly it would be a get out of jail free card for any club wanting to clear their debts. 

I have to agree with Mr Rubble. Our authorities are pretty good about doing nothing and that is exactly what they need to do now.

There's no clubs in administration just now. Come early autumn I'd be very surprised if there's not more than a mere handful. Most will be undeserving cases caused by these unforeseen cash flow issues. Thus the most prudently run clubs will/can find themselves in that situation. I'd say imposing a points penalty on top of the other restrictions clubs under administration endure (restricted recruitment being the most pertinent) would be grossly excessive. It would do more harm than good.

I actually expect, bumbling and inactive as the SPFL/SFA are, that points penalties will be waived for the start of the next season, whenever that is. My concern would be that it's used as a soft soap measure.

I do agree that decisions don't have to be made just now. Eufa may force the hand a bit re European qualifications but that should be another matter entirely. 

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

There's no clubs in administration just now. Come early autumn I'd be very surprised if there's not more than a mere handful. Most will be undeserving cases caused by these unforeseen cash flow issues. Thus the most prudently run clubs will/can find themselves in that situation. I'd say imposing a points penalty on top of the other restrictions clubs under administration endure (restricted recruitment being the most pertinent) would be grossly excessive. It would do more harm than good.

I actually expect, bumbling and inactive as the SPFL/SFA are, that points penalties will be waived for the start of the next season, whenever that is. My concern would be that it's used as a soft soap measure.

I do agree that decisions don't have to be made just now. Eufa may force the hand a bit re European qualifications but that should be another matter entirely. 

Maybe not in Scotland, but this is a global crisis. As I said Bolton would have an issue if points penalties are waivedfor another club, especially one in the UK. Whatever we do with the current season, we need to do the same as every other league or we will risk litigation and or sanctions.

14 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I know Neil McCann has not been everybody's cup off tea on this forum, but on radio Scotland i have heard him say on at least 3 occasions it would be wrong to relegate Thistle as we have 1 game in hand and if we won it we would come of the bottom of the league.

Good for him. 

2 hours ago, Emsca said:

Hope you are correct about Maxie! 

However I would think that although he is the Chief Executive (not sure if this title is correct) he will have to declare a conflict of interest in any discussion involving PTFC and either sit quietly and say nothing or remove himself from that part of the meeting. 

This ethical approach should also apply to any Director or CEO of any club whose position is under discussion, for example, Budge & Hearts, Ogren & Dundee Utd. 

This is why I suspect Budge got her retaliation in first by going public with the threat of legal action!  Officials participating in a  discussion in her absence and which involves Hearts will be influenced by this threat! Good tactics on her part but unethical!