What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

You don’t deserve to be relegated until all the games are played. 

Ordinarily, yes. But we are in extraordinary circumstances here. There is no precedent to this. We need to sort this season out soon if we are to stand a chance of all the clubs survival. It's the uncertainty that will kill clubs.

27 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Ordinarily, yes. But we are in extraordinary circumstances here. There is no precedent to this. We need to sort this season out soon if we are to stand a chance of all the clubs survival. It's the uncertainty that will kill clubs.

Got to agree with you , can’t see the season getting started again but in the mean time the governing bodies should pay out the prize money on current positions. Not sure about our team re relegation but it’s hard to argue having watched us all season that we had enough about us to avoid relegation.

40 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

A lesser precedent occurred in 1939 when the Scottish Leagues were null and voided after 5 games due to the outbreak of WW2

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

I am not arguing that we are in unprecedented circumstances, just that no one deserves to get promoted or relegated until the season is completed. 
It may be that the football authorities decide we are to get relegated and we would need to deal with that.

12 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

League reconstruction would be preferable, but unless the 2 scumbags want it, then you can forget it. We should just abandon the season, accept the leagues as they are and we take our fate in League One next season.

Totally disagree- we entered a competition , that competition has not finished.

There could be an argument that you base the outcome on current league positions if all the  teams had played the same number of games. It would be manifestly wrong and unfair to relegate Thistle (and for us to suffer the inevitable loss of income that would go with relegation)  when we have played fewer games than other teams. As for all this talk of average points per game etc- football is a game not a set of statistics:- unpredictable , unusual and unexpected things happen in every game which is one of the many attractions of the sport.

Nobody can know what the outcome of the season would have been. We should not meekly accept a fate which is so clearly unjust and I am disappointed that some of our own supporters seem willing to role over so easily.

18 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Totally disagree- we entered a competition , that competition has not finished.

There could be an argument that you base the outcome on current league positions if all the  teams had played the same number of games. It would be manifestly wrong and unfair to relegate Thistle (and for us to suffer the inevitable loss of income that would go with relegation)  when we have played fewer games than other teams. As for all this talk of average points per game etc- football is a game not a set of statistics:- unpredictable , unusual and unexpected things happen in every game which is one of the many attractions of the sport.

Nobody can know what the outcome of the season would have been. We should not meekly accept a fate which is so clearly unjust and I am disappointed that some of our own supporters seem willing to role over so easily.

You dont seem to be looking at the bigger picture. No one has a clue when this season can be completed. No one. If we just sit tight and wait for the sun to break through we run the risk of 1) destroying clubs who are on the edge right now, 2) if we do start near the end of the year, then next season is impacted hugely. A shortened season would present even more financial worries. And what of the player and staff contracts etc. It is a logistical nightmare.  Either league reconstruction where a minimum of clubs are penalised or a season called off and go where it presently stands. And as for rolling over? I believe its fans looking at it pragmatically and accepting that there are bigger concerns out there.

Edited by Garscube Road End
  • Like 2

I'm with GRE on this.   Reconstruction, even for one season,  is clearly the most appropriate way forward, but unless the TV broadcasters are guaranteed 4 ugly sisters games,  that option will be dead in the water. 

We do have to look at the bigger picture.  What matters at the end of the day is the survival of football clubs across the country,  and SPFL need to have that as the primary aim of whatever plan they propose.  

If we end up in League 1, it won't be because we've been fitted up by the SPFL, or because we were denied a penalty against QOS, but because, with few exceptions, we have  under-performed  since the first game of the season against Alloa.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Do you seriously believe any of that will happen?

If you are asking me if Norway are downgrading lockdown on the 28th of April then yes. The Norwegian government have already announced it. If you are asking me if flat racing will start behind closed doors on the 1st of may [also Jump racing on 1st of July] Yes I receive emails from a trainer in England, and at this moment preparations are under way. If you are asking me if Scottish football will return May/June. I don't have a clue.

It's not just a case of promoting the current top club in each league and relegating the bottom club. Scrapping the play offs will leave other clubs (eg ICT and Airdrie) properly miffed.  Maybe Queen of the South and possibly Accies should be relegated as well. 

Assuming the season is over the fairest way is still temporary reconstruction. Sadly our authorities will be far more interested and occupied with coming up with a solution that'll be acceptable to both arse cheeks. We'll just be viewed as collateral damage.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, policemans whistle said:

If you are asking me if Norway are downgrading lockdown on the 28th of April then yes. The Norwegian government have already announced it. If you are asking me if flat racing will start behind closed doors on the 1st of may [also Jump racing on 1st of July] Yes I receive emails from a trainer in England, and at this moment preparations are under way. If you are asking me if Scottish football will return May/June. I don't have a clue.

Your trainer may be preparing, but I can't believe that racing will be allowed to start on 1st May unless there is a dramatic change in the covid-19 statistics. They authorities can't possibly allow for the demand on the emergency services to support the event, let alone the added pressure on the NHS  should a jockey be injured at the event. Football may like to talk about closed doors games, but they are not going to happen for exactly the same reason.

It is good PR for the sporting bodies to show that they are trying, but unless there is a dramatic change then the government will pull the plug (and horse racing can say "we tried")

As for Norway, it will be interesting to see what happens to their infection rates, and what they do when (not if) the numbers start rising again.

2 minutes ago, policemans whistle said:

Racehorses will have been in training and trainers/jockeys largely unaffected or less affected by social distancing . Even if social distancing was to be relaxed players will now have to go thru a pre-season. So even if Ascot or Goodwood got the green light it wouldn't be much of an indication re football. 

14 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Racehorses will have been in training and trainers/jockeys largely unaffected or less affected by social distancing . Even if social distancing was to be relaxed players will now have to go thru a pre-season. So even if Ascot or Goodwood got the green light it wouldn't be much of an indication re football. 

I suppose it’s horses for courses...

Just now, javeajag said:

Why ?

We wouldn't win.

Courts don't like to get involved in sporting disputes and if 75% of clubs support this as the right thing to do then we don't have much ground for complaint. Although unfair, the average points can be justified as allowing for different number of games played

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

We wouldn't win.

Courts don't like to get involved in sporting disputes and if 75% of clubs support this as the right thing to do then we don't have much ground for complaint. Although unfair, the average points can be justified as allowing for different number of games played

It’s a scandal 

13 minutes ago, javeajag said:

If we get relegated we should launch a crowdfunder to raise cash for a legal challenge ....it’s ok for  us to be relegated but not hearts typical sfa/spfl shit 

Hearts will need to get relegated unless reconstruction saves them and that should keep us in the championship.

Sue, sue and sue. I don't even care if we lose. Just make it awkward for them. I will happily give a few bob to crowdfund the legal fees and I know I am not alone from people I have spoken to, and get decent lawyers, not just giving some Lionel Hutz who is a friend of a board member or a sponsor a bit of business. 

Just now, Hankey said:

Sue, sue and sue. I don't even care if we lose. Just make it awkward for them. I will happily give a few bob to crowdfund the legal fees and I know I am not alone from people I have spoken to, and get decent lawyers, not just giving some Lionel Hutz who is a friend of a board member or a sponsor a bit of business. 

Exactly