What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

1 hour ago, e4b said:

The club must oppose these pernicious proposals by all means available to them. Having played less games than those above us, and being  only two points behind QOS, then relegation would fly in the face of any principle of “sporting integrity”. We all know from our disgraceful relegation in 2004 that the Scottish football authorities will lie and cheat when required , and are not to be trusted. The present board will be judged in the coming weeks and months by their actions in defence of the club.

The injustice of 2004 pales in comparison to this proposal. 

Thistle will be seen as a soft touch and easier to disadvantage than Hearts, Celtic, Dundee Utd.

I'd almost rather watch Thistle play non-league in Ruchill Park than accept this...

• Like 1

The carrot for some will be "vote for the proposal, you get the money and the possibility of reconstruction. Which will buy the vote of second place clubs except the FOD . But after thirty seconds of possibilities things will be "just too difficult to reconcile. And by the way Ms Budge, sue us if you like but you really don't have the money to sustain that .....

18 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

So Thistle, Stranraer, Kelty Hearts and Brora are the clubs being penalised. Brechin must be shitting golden nuggets at being saved!

And of course Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers have no vote. Cunning!

Two teams called Hearts and two teams called Rangers are caught up in this.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Can anyone can tell me why the status quo of three leagues of ten clubs each (2nd-4th tier) is a good thing? Can anyone tell me why playing nine clubs four times each is considered more appealing than playing more clubs just the twice? 

I think it is fair to say that most football fans would like to see a return to a two league set up in which you played each team home and away however the very thought of this is anathema to some SPFL chairmen / chairwomen and to the sports media. Of course it's all down to money whether that be extra gate money from having the uglies visit your ground four times (minimum) a season or selling newspapers, pay per view TV packages etc. So you are therefore up against it right away if you want a return to a two division set up.

Those against idea this never tire of talking about meaningless fixtures, strangely they never seem to mention that playing in a larger league would be less repetitive therefore less boring, and therefore might actually attract more fans, nor do they point out that meaningless games allow teams to blood youngsters, something that rarely happens under the current system .

I suppose it would be possible to do this without the Premiership.  Bring in a couple of team and then split the three leagues into two leagues of 16 thus giving 30 games a season. I wonder how that kind of suggestion would go down?

Obviously something needs to be done given the current situation but I have absolutely no faith in the SPFL to come up with an acceptable solution.

Edited by Camallain
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Rangers issued statement rejecting  the proposals 

Sevco will try to show to their fans their against it but the only way they'll vote against it is if they know that their own vote won't be decisive.

Also don't see why any of the SPL clubs will need to vote next week as the Doncaster seems to be saying the SPL is more complicated, will take more time and therefore not neccissarly bound by these proposals? If the SPL clubs did vote on it there's only really Hearts who will defintely vote no. There would need to be 4 clubs in the SPL who vote against so Sevco can probably vote no safe in the knowledge that the other 10 will vote yes.

If you look at the championship the clubs most likely to vote against are clearly us and then we're clutching at straws in the hope that 2 from ICT, Dundee or Ayr would vote it down on the basis that it denies them a playoff.

In league 1 - Falkirk and Stranraer will probably vote against but thats still 1 vote shy of a no. Only other possibles are Airdrie, Montrose or East fife bit they are unlikely because they would turning down decently attended fixtures against us and Falkirk for an outside shot at promotion to the championship.

In league 2 - Now that Brechin are safe there is only Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath and Queens Park who are negatively effected but are they feeling aggrevied enough to vote no? I doubt it

So the chances of this proposal being rejected are almost nil and you can bet that we will be due £0 compenstation. Our only hope and its tenious at best is that Uefa declare all competitions are void or that games must be completed.

Can't for the life of me understand why the SPFL is forcing this decision to happen so soon when no other league is? In Germany they are talking about restarting games and the players are in training already.  Whilst the UK is some distance behind the Germans in responding to the corana virus its not wildly impossible that games in this country could be played over the summer.

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

Sevco will try to show to their fans their against it but the only way they'll vote against it is if they know that their own vote won't be decisive.

Also don't see why any of the SPL clubs will need to vote next week as the Doncaster seems to be saying the SPL is more complicated, will take more time and therefore not neccissarly bound by these proposals? If the SPL clubs did vote on it there's only really Hearts who will defintely vote no. There would need to be 4 clubs in the SPL who vote against so Sevco can probably vote no safe in the knowledge that the other 10 will vote yes.

If you look at the championship the clubs most likely to vote against are clearly us and then we're clutching at straws in the hope that 2 from ICT, Dundee or Ayr would vote it down on the basis that it denies them a playoff.

In league 1 - Falkirk and Stranraer will probably vote against but thats still 1 vote shy of a no. Only other possibles are Airdrie, Montrose or East fife bit they are unlikely because they would turning down decently attended fixtures against us and Falkirk for an outside shot at promotion to the championship.

In league 2 - Now that Brechin are safe there is only Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath and Queens Park who are negatively effected but are they feeling aggrevied enough to vote no? I doubt it

So the chances of this proposal being rejected are almost nil and you can bet that we will be due £0 compenstation. Our only hope and its tenious at best is that Uefa declare all competitions are void or that games must be completed.

Can't for the life of me understand why the SPFL is forcing this decision to happen so soon when no other league is? In Germany they are talking about restarting games and the players are in training already.  Whilst the UK is some distance behind the Germans in responding to the corana virus its not wildly impossible that games in this country could be played over the summer.

The conspiracy theory would suggest that the big leagues (England, Italy, Spain, France & Germany) need a small league to test the water before making their own decisions. They may be secretly sponsoring the SPFL to be the first to jump.

Clubs are desperate for the end of season money, to which they are entitled, in order to survive. They are being told, "you're not getting it unless you vote to relegate Partick Thistle and Stranraer". Abhorrent hardly does it justice.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sivad said:

Clubs are desperate for the end of season money, to which they are entitled, in order to survive. They are being told, "you're not getting it unless you vote to relegate Partick Thistle and Stranraer". Abhorrent hardly does it justice.

Ran out of likes.

46 minutes ago, Sivad said:

There is absolutely no reason why prize money couldn’t have been paid out just now to help the Clubs on their current positions, this is a knee jerk reaction, we’re only at the start of April, we’ve got possibly to the first or second week of July to start football again , could be 3 games in a week but it’s still do-able with only 8 games to go .

If by that time there is still no prospect of football being played, then some sort of decision would have to be made .

IMO , it’s far too early to make that call , not sure how that would go down if we’re back to some sort of normality in June for example.

Edited by jlsarmy

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Ayr would definitely vote yes because they want to see mccall relegated

This is a decision made far too early in the course of this epidemic to warrant serious consideration by the Scottish football authorities. They appear to think that they are setting the agenda for the rest of the 'current' football season, and the start up of the next football season in Scotland. They have no clue whatsoever what will happen to Scotland, the UK and Europe in general with regards this virus, because the virus sets the agenda.

Why they [the Scottish football authorities] think getting their ducks in a row regarding the 2019 / 2020 season and the start of the 2020 / 2021 season has any merit is beyond me. There is every chance there will be no football [or any type of mass participation gathering of any description] until there has been a vaccine developed, and tested, that can truly control this infection. It could be the progress towards controlling the infection will be 12 months, possibly more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Col said:

There were no signs of improvement. We’ve played 10 games since the last time we won. We’ve had one clean sheet in the league all season. There’s absolutely nothing to suggest we would get off bottom. Sad but true. 

In my opinion there were signs of improvement . Your statistics are irrefutable , but as I said before football is not played on a sheet of paper .

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Hearts not surprisingly voting against 

Hopefully Budge follows through with her threat to sue as thats the only thing the SPFL will understand. Can't see our club having the means or desire to take the SPFL to task so our best hope is Hearts do and we get a way out due to their action

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

Ayr Utd football club wants McCall relegated? The chairman who he had a great relationship  with wants McCall relegated? What’s your source for this?

My own train of thought?

to be fair can see your point maybe I should have said their fans would be desperate to relegate us

Edited by Third Lanark

Any decision should be based any situation where a full season cannot be completed for whatever reason.This is something which should have already have been put in place.

The decision should apply if 25% ,50%,or 75%  or whatever remains to be played. Would you promote / relegate a team if 75% or 50% still had to be played? Of course not.

What happens when a game is abandoned, which is effectively what  has happened to this season. Do we award the points based on the score at abandonment? Of course not.

If the season cannot be extended to complete the games then the season is NULL AND VOID. Nobody wins and nobody loses. Money can be shared out based on points accumulated.In my opinion more clubs would vote for that than against

• Like 1

Given the extraordinary circumstances that currently prevail I can understand how thd powers that be have arrived at their decision and, reluctantly,  would accept the fate that therefore awaits, however I suspect this has a distance to go yet regardless of Friday's vote. 

If we are relegated then we perhaps only have our sometimes feeble form this season to blame. We shsll see.