What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

21 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Oh! I well remember the stitch that went on there. And where did our legal fight get us then? This would be no different. 

We tried to block the second vote and that was the extent of it. Hardly a bruising legal fight.

My original comment was a bit flippant in response to the assertion that member clubs vote on what they signed up for when once again the goalposts are being moved after the event and potential outcomes vaguely hinted, at best. However if Thistle, Hearts and even Falkirk or Sevco all went down the legal threat route on this vote, the SPFL might be a bit less inclined to fight 3/4 cases at once.

12 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Yes your right.....too sloppy in my part .....you g children are less likely to get the virus but are not immune 

I think that they are less likely to develop symptoms rather than less likely to get the virus. This is an important distinction as they can still carry and transmit the virus to adults. I'm nut sure that the National Union of Teachers would support primary schools reopening, let alone the prospects of bringing the virus back to parents.

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I think that they are less likely to develop symptoms rather than less likely to get the virus. This is an important distinction as they can still carry and transmit the virus to adults. I'm nut sure that the National Union of Teachers would support primary schools reopening, let alone the prospects of bringing the virus back to parents.

Possibly.....the case of Sweden is very interesting......schools haven’t shut nor have they gone into our lockdown yet cases and deaths behind U.K. and Scotland .....not sure why but to bring it back to topic no sign of football restarting 

im nit sure this proposal will go through 

43 minutes ago, Cfirejkl said:

I was hoping for a restructuring- at least in the interim.  Three leagues of 14.  Something a wee bit different to look forward to after all this gloom.

However if they are going to call it, we have been dire all year and never found ways to win games we should have.  home form was definitely abysmal.   
If they find a way to keep Hearts up though that will be a farce.

Still hopeful - but look forward to any kind of football coming our way

Your comments about us equally apply to Queen of the south. Do not forget we still have a game in hand and they still had to play Dundee United.

further I don’t but into this we had no hope. We actually drew with Dundee United and Dunfermline- 2 teams that had roundly thrashed us before.  The goal in injury time against Dunfermline showed that perhaps we were now fighting to the final second (granted we should have been doing this all season), plus the referee decisions against us in the game at Queen of the south pretty much denied us the 3 points.

yes we still weren’t good enough as a whole in January and many of the new additions were very disappointing to say the least, but I believe that Queen of the south were both poorer than us and actually weakened in the January window - they lost a very good goalkeeper for a start.  Again crucially the season is supposed to last 36 games we are being relegated with a quarter still to play

so I believe queen of the south can be very very relieved the season appears to be over and they have literally scraped by

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Your comments about us equally apply to Queen of the south. Do not forget we still have a game in hand and they still had to play Dundee United.

further I don’t but into this we had no hope. We actually drew with Dundee United and Dunfermline- 2 teams that had roundly thrashed us before.  The goal in injury time against Dunfermline showed that perhaps we were now fighting to the final second (granted we should have been doing this all season), plus the referee decisions against us in the game at Queen of the south pretty much denied us the 3 points.

yes we still weren’t good enough as a whole in January and many of the new additions were very disappointing to say the least, but I believe that Queen of the south were both poorer than us and actually weakened in the January window - they lost a very good goalkeeper for a start.  Again crucially the season is supposed to last 36 games we are being relegated with a quarter still to play

so I believe queen of the south can be very very relieved the season appears to be over and they have literally scraped by

Not that you're actually saying it but Q o t S don't deserve to be relegated. Nobody deserves to be relegated. 

11 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Seriously?? There is no league reconstruction on the table! It is just pish to try and get clubs to vote the way the want. Once they get what they want they will say ahh there was no appetite for change. Don't be so gullible and don't believe for one second that Thistle don't know and agree we will be relegated!

I realise league reconstruction is just a carrot to get teams to vote for their deal. That is why i say they should discuss it before any vote. So i dont think i am being gullible.

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And if we were 9th and QotS 10th, would we be voting for sporting integrity or self interest ?

The fact is that we don't know where this virus is going and until we know what the exit plan is, it is foolish to decide what to do about the current season. I understand the need to distribute cash to keep clubs afloat, but there must be another way to do that while keeping the current season open until we know more. 

Totally agree, but I would hope our club would have some sort of moral compass similarly to what Hibs and Aberdeen are saying, they seem to be looking at the bigger picture.

16 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Last 5 games before shut down QOS- 2Points, Partick Thistle - 4 points. Not great put shows we were poor but better than QOS. F1 has a rule already in place saying a championship can only be awarded if at least 8 races take place. As far as i know football doesn't have any such rule, so to just decide it is ok to relegate teams when the full season hasn't  been completed is just wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Tables now on the SPFL website. 

QOS played 28, points 28 = 1 point per game.  

PTFC played 27, points 26 = 0.964 point per game.

Take one from the other and we're 0.037 of a point adrift.

Serious statistical issues to be considered:

Would 0.037 of a point be regarded as statistically significant, as the difference is i) less than a point, the common measure for league table rankings and ii) less than 4% of a point in this case? The SPFL would have to explain how that decision was arrived at if tested.

Following on from that, there are two clear margins for error that would have to be considered  i) number of games played and ii) goal difference as a ranking measure.

The first can be tested under sporting integrity as it is black and white - we have played one less game than QoS and are a point behind. With three points at stake, then the opening question about margin for error, and the significance of the fractions involved is clearly a matter for scrutiny at a higher level than SPFL.

Relegation under those circumstances would be extremely difficult for the SPFL to justify with any credibility.

This story still has a distance to go to fully unfold.

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Serious statistical issues to be considered:

Would 0.037 of a point be regarded as statistically significant, as the difference is i) less than a point, the common measure for league table rankings and ii) less than 4% of a point in this case? The SPFL would have to explain how that decision was arrived at if tested.

Following on from that, there are two clear margins for error that would have to be considered  i) number of games played and ii) goal difference as a ranking measure.

The first can be tested under sporting integrity as it is black and white - we have played one less game than QoS and are a point behind. With three points at stake, then the opening question about margin for error, and the significance of the fractions involved is clearly a matter for scrutiny at a higher level than SPFL.

Relegation under those circumstances would be extremely difficult for the SPFL to justify with any credibility.

This story still has a distance to go to fully unfold.

Entirely agree with all you say Barney, until the last paragraph.

Doncaster has played blinder. We will be relegated democratically. The news this afternoon, that the restriction of movement in Scotland will continue for many weeks, will focus the minds of many smaller clubs when they vote tomorrow.

We have no clout. There will be no support from other clubs as they will have voted against us. There will be no media outrage as it doesn't affect the Old Firm and so will not create a groundswell of interest. In Tom English's article he didn't even mention our game in hand, which is a vital fact in this situation. We are diddies. The press are just waiting to churn out reams of copy once the Premiership is decided.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Entirely agree with all you say Barney, until the last paragraph.

Doncaster has played blinder. We will be relegated democratically. The news this afternoon, that the restriction of movement in Scotland will continue for many weeks, will focus the minds of many smaller clubs when they vote tomorrow.

We have no clout. There will be no support from other clubs as they will have voted against us. There will be no media outrage as it doesn't affect the Old Firm and so will not create a groundswell of interest. In Tom English's article he didn't even mention our game in hand, which is a vital fact in this situation. We are diddies. The press are just waiting to churn out reams of copy once the Premiership is decided.

Out of likes.

I couldn't have put it better myself

“If you’re not going to play it I think you should restart the league with a clean slate. I don’t think it’s fair.

“The Premiership is being treated differently, how is the Premiership different? Because there is more money in the Premiership? F**k the Premiership.

“I don’t get it, but it grates on me. If they can get the Premiership games played, why can’t they get the rest of the games played?

“Is it just cause they have Rangers and Celtic in it? F*** Rangers and Celtic."

Reading BBC reports but haven't read all the posts here but . . . .

A lot of arrogance in my mind where there is a bigger picture than football. People (outside of football) their livelihoods are at risk too and people dying out there and the SFA are debating this, this early!!!! Who? Who gave them the go ahead to consider a vote??? 

This smells of the rich getting richer   .  .  .  .   and maybe even UEFA driven???

9 games left is in theory 4.5 weeks of matches??? Delay start of 2020 season, but oh SKY Sport might penalise. Tail wagging dog???

I despair but as a Jags fan we have suffered many many injustices where the 'Voting system' is £'s driven!!

Saddened but not surprised.

However it reeks of double standards where it is ok to complete the premier league outstanding games but f**k the rest of you. 

Edited by Tob Jag

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And if we were 9th and QotS 10th, would we be voting for sporting integrity or self interest ?

The fact is that we don't know where this virus is going and until we know what the exit plan is, it is foolish to decide what to do about the current season. I understand the need to distribute cash to keep clubs afloat, but there must be another way to do that while keeping the current season open until we know more. 

I would hope that as we have been on the wrong end of sporting integrity gone wrong that we would vote accordingly.