What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

5 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

To be honest this whole cluster**** is the latest in a long line of kicks in the teeth spreading over decades. I'm frankly tired of it. The whole game here really is a sad Micky Mouse product, driven solely by selfish short term self-interest of each and every club. I suspect if Hearts, Stranraer and ourselves had been one place higher we'd have voted for this absolute mess of a proposal and three other clubs would be screaming foul. Yes the SPFL board and the many incarnations that preceded them are truly incompetent on a staggering scale, but in reality we have the leadership we collectively deserve. If it wasn't for 50 plus years of following Thistle I wouldn't have the slightest interest in Scottish football and I'd bet many fans of other teams feel the same. 

Definitely from the point that football resumes I'll only be going to Firhill. It's a shame as I've always enjoyed going to away games. I won't be spending a single penny on any other league team than Thistle. Their loss will be Hurlford United's gain. 

this 100% 

Could PTFC let it be known that if they are relegated through being denied to play not just the remaining games of the season but even simply their game in hand, then they would demand full compensation for the amount of money they will lose by being forced to leave the Championship for Division One? In other words, the difference between what they would receive next season as a Championship Club and what they would receive if they were forced to play in Division One.

16 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/16/coronavirus-uk-live-news-covid-19-lockdown-extension?page=with:block-5e9800a88f08ea7431f43be7#block-5e9800a88f08ea7431f43be7

In these uncertain times football needs leadership. Leadership is not manipulating a vote to relegate clubs. Leadership is not hiding in Hampden behind a firewall. Leadership is not paying lip-service to restructuring the league in the  middle of a pandemic.  Leadership is making sure that everything is done to secure the immediate needs of all clubs.  By all means discuss, in an open and transparent way, possible ways forward but resolutions are pointless in this vacuum.

Nobody knows how or when we will come out of this. Rules rewritten now will have to be written again. Look after the clubs now. When there is sufficient information, plan for the future.

Nailed it

1 hour ago, West of Scotland said:

Legal action will be a completely pointless act for show that might appease some people who are raging on this forum, but will cost the club money it does not have.

Getting Gerry Britton on Radio Scotland on Saturday to bump his gums for half and hour will gain us the same amount of attention as a lawsuit, and won't cost a penny.

And the SPFL know this and are banking on it. Usual situation, you cannot right a wrong because you cannot afford to , so the rich and wealthy continue to exploit others safe in the knowledge they cannot be challenged.

11 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Could PTFC let it be known that if they are relegated through being denied to play not just the remaining games of the season but even simply their game in hand, then they would demand full compensation for the amount of money they will lose by being forced to leave the Championship for Division One? In other words, the difference between what they would receive next season as a Championship Club and what they would receive if they were forced to play in Division One.

So just accept it but take some hush money?

Although I am slightly encouraged by Ms. Budge's statement to her supporters, there is one thing I don't understand - she is not on the SPFL Board so why has she been "co-opted" to look at ways of achieving reconstruction?  Does this maybe also underline what a shower of (insert your own preferred descriptive noun) the rest of them are.

13 minutes ago, Emsca said:

And the SPFL know this and are banking on it. Usual situation, you cannot right a wrong because you cannot afford to , so the rich and wealthy continue to exploit others safe in the knowledge they cannot be challenged.

The absolute best result a successful legal challenge would get is to recast the vote. It's just pouring money down a drain.

It makes more sense to campaign for a foundational change. We would never get close to seeing the inside of a court and it would only result in the status quo becoming further entrenched.

But the whole system is bent so that seems unavoidable anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

The absolute best result a successful legal challenge would get is to recast the vote. It's just pouring money down a drain.

It makes more sense to campaign for a foundational change. We would never get close to seeing the inside of a court and it would only result in the status quo becoming further entrenched.

But the whole system is bent so that seems unavoidable anyway.

So your position is , we just shrug our shoulders and accept things.?

Campaign for a foundational change- what does that mean?

PTFC We don't like how things operate and think you are incompetant and corrupt.

SPFL:- tough that's they way it is - what are you going to do about it??

PTFC: We are going to campaign for a foundational change.

SPFL: OK- good luck with that.

If we applied for an interim interdict would that not at least delay things? Might not solve anything or improve our position but it would inconvenience the SPFL and I am all for that .

5 minutes ago, Emsca said:

So your position is , we just shrug our shoulders and accept things.?

Campaign for a foundational change- what does that mean?

PTFC We don't like how things operate and think you are incompetant and corrupt.

SPFL:- tough that's they way it is - what are you going to do about it??

PTFC: We are going to campaign for a foundational change.

SPFL: OK- good luck with that.

If we applied for an interim interdict would that not at least delay things? Might not solve anything or improve our position but it would inconvenience the SPFL and I am all for that .

I think that we need to speak to Ann Budge to find out exactly what her plans are, what are the timescales and how likely they are to succeed. (We might also want to speak to others) Once we know that we can make a balanced decision on the risk/reward of taking legal action

Only Scottish football can find itself so behind the times and yet be acting so far ahead of the times. The whole of UK business and industry is in limbo and urgently awaiting the UK government (central & devolved) to present a lockdown exit strategy. That alone we're told is perhaps still weeks away dependent on a myriad of developments pertaining to demographics, logistics and of course the virus itself. 

Yet whilst the Governments, Business & Industry are effectively at a standstill and the degree and effects of the ensuing recession completely unknown, Scottish Football finds itself embroiled in a dispute about promotion and relegation. The powers that be in the UK for understandable reasons appear powerless to make judgement today. So how come the SPFL, Ann Budge and for that matter, the individual clubs (including PTFC), have the confidence never mind the gall to be making decisions based on absolutely no knowledge how the immediate future is going to pan out? In short they're all arguing about something they're powerless to control.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Only Scottish football can find itself so behind the times and yet be acting so far ahead of the times. The whole of UK business and industry is in limbo and urgently awaiting the UK government (central & devolved) to present a lockdown exit strategy. That alone we're told is perhaps still weeks away dependent on a myriad of developments pertaining to demographics, logistics and of course the virus itself. 

Yet whilst the Governments, Business & Industry are effectively at a standstill and the degree and effects of the ensuing recession completely unknown, Scottish Football finds itself embroiled in a dispute about promotion and relegation. The powers that be in the UK for understandable reasons appear powerless to make judgement today. So how come the SPFL, Ann Budge and for that matter, the individual clubs (including PTFC), have the confidence never mind the gall to be making decisions based on absolutely no knowledge how the immediate future is going to pan out? In short they're all arguing about something they're powerless to control.

Dead simple, the SPFL needs next years sponsorship money to kick in as soon as possible. There is no true idea as to when society let alone  football can open up again, they know this, but the false narrative is to get money in to keep the gravy train funded for the executives.

4 minutes ago, ironfist said:

The problem with legal action is not simply whether the club can afford to pay legal expenses but also if they can survive for longer without the SPFL money. Presumably the governments furlough scheme would help to some extent 

I think we will be able to survive. HMRC / Companies House have relaxed a lot of the rules regarding insolvency at the moment, so we have a little time. 

11 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Whatever we decide, we have until 10am tomorrow to do so. 

The fact the deadline is so close suggests to me we should be looking at Court action now - even if it's simply to get a delay to enable proper, sensible (!), discussion.

Once the money is paid I'm afraid we're done for.

What legal action could we honestly take and to where?

We are in fact part of a members club, we pay our dues and we get to be part of it and abide by the rules and decisions made by the members and its committee, basically the same as a bowling club without the cheap drinks.

If we are not happy with its running or decisions the choices we have (as part of the members club) is either petition to change/appeal from within, or resign our membership. I doubt if a court would see this as a criminal or civil matter. Ethically it is wrong, and it stinks to high heaven but I really don't see what we can do. 

I do not recall any football club taking its league to an outside court, highest I've seen is sporting court of arbitration 

Difficult decision now for Thistle to balance up. 

Continue to challenge the resolution vote and it could be re-run - and pass straight away as yes.

Bide time and league reconstruction with no relegation may happen.

No idea what the best thing for our interests is now!

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Dead simple, the SPFL needs next years sponsorship money to kick in as soon as possible. There is no true idea as to when society let alone  football can open up again, they know this, but the false narrative is to get money in to keep the gravy train funded for the executives.

Could be right Norge maybe Doncaster is worried where his 400k salary is coming from, from the outset there seemed to be an undue haste to do things , resolution to be voted for within 48 hours , calling the leagues in April when only one country has done that ( Belgium)

Something doesn’t sit well with the undue haste , PTFC should take out a court interdict even to buy us some time for meaningful dialogue and if need be it could be a bargaining tool .

Every other Club is looking after themselves, there is no reason why we shouldn’t do the same .

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

What legal action could we honestly take and to where?

We are in fact part of a members club, we pay our dues and we get to be part of it and abide by the rules and decisions made by the members and its committee, basically the same as a bowling club without the cheap drinks.

If we are not happy with its running or decisions the choices we have (as part of the members club) is either petition to change/appeal from within, or resign our membership. I doubt if a court would see this as a criminal or civil matter. Ethically it is wrong, and it stinks to high heaven but I really don't see what we can do. 

I do not recall any football club taking its league to an outside court, highest I've seen is sporting court of arbitration 

Having read the Board statement & attachment, I think there is potential for breach of contract perhaps? Would be Civil of course, but even by submitting a case we could buy some time at least. 

Could be totally wrong as I'm not a lawyer, but I do think there is potential. I'm sure the Club have been looking at every angle.

3 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Difficult decision now for Thistle to balance up. 

Continue to challenge the resolution vote and it could be re-run - and pass straight away as yes.

Bide time and league reconstruction with no relegation may happen.

No idea what the best thing for our interests is now!

Can’t base the future of our Club on a maybe, legally challenge the procedures to show we’re not going to lie down.

Would we be better petitioning for and and getting a mandate for the independent inquiry into the dealings that went on. I'm sure that there are many clubs who voted yes who are not happy with how it was conducted. Worst case is that this shamble might never happen again. Best case would be a change in the SPFL executive and some fresh thinking.