What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

14 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

What’s the point of the Academy then ? , we’ve got youngsters within the system who’ve got a chance Billy Owens , Andy Rodden , Dean Watson. Bradley Renfrew but they’re not been given a chance to play football with no u 20s League.

Lets go with your plan and get Harkins back from Stenny on a 2 year deal on 2k a week .

On our limited budget what kind of players do you think we’ll get for approximately £300 per week .

It’s not my plan mate.  I agree with your plan. 

I was just pointing out we are going to end up in a place some were objecting about, ie focussing on youth. (And no I am not arguing Barnsley owners would have been good thing compared to fan ownership either, absolutely not).  Apologies, I was being flippant. 

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Trouble is Norge we don’t know if they’re good enough , I’ve seen all of these players play and I think they’ve all got a chance , trouble is now what level to do you put them to now to progress, League 2 or the Juniors .

No point of an Academy if we don’t give them a chance , some will make it , some won’t .

In the Championship, fighting a relegation battle, there is no chance that McCall will go with inexperienced youngsters, if we are in a different division next year surely there has got be some sort of infrastructure and give the youngsters some sort of pathway to the first team 

Rangers and Celtic effectively bring through 2 plus teams every year, roughly 3 times as many "kids" as we develop on a yearly basis per club. Out of this number you will be lucky if 5 or 6 per club end up with a career in professional football by the time they are 21, and the majority that do won't be at the club that developed them. That's unfortunately football.

With no reserve fixture to bleed them in, the step up from U20 to 1st team is massive, and a huge gamble for a club in our position to take. Bring through the kids and get relegated / miss out on promotion or play seasoned pro's and stay up / win promotion. We have consistently taken youth players from other clubs for our 1st team, but with the exception of Fitzpatrick and Penrice who has made the grade? (Liam Lindsey was a Dundee United Youth player except for a half season in our development)

20 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

If they were good eneough they would have been given a chance either with us or out at loan at another club

No sorry, that's just not true. That places an awful lot of faith in the ability of Scottish coaching staff to spot and nurture talent. Not something they are renowned for.

This blind assumption that if you are good enough you will come through regardless ,  just does not live up to scrutiny. Plenty of decent players have fallen through the nets due to lack of opportunity / blinkered scouting.

11 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Rangers and Celtic effectively bring through 2 plus teams every year, roughly 3 times as many "kids" as we develop on a yearly basis per club. Out of this number you will be lucky if 5 or 6 per club end up with a career in professional football by the time they are 21, and the majority that do won't be at the club that developed them. That's unfortunately football.

With no reserve fixture to bleed them in, the step up from U20 to 1st team is massive, and a huge gamble for a club in our position to take. Bring through the kids and get relegated / miss out on promotion or play seasoned pro's and stay up / win promotion. We have consistently taken youth players from other clubs for our 1st team, but with the exception of Fitzpatrick and Penrice who has made the grade? (Liam Lindsey was a Dundee United Youth player except for a half season in our development)

Think you’re getting mixed up with Liam Lindsey and Jack Hendry , Hamilton and Motherwell have made it a policy to nurture their own and give them a pathway to the first team at a much higher level than we are .

We’ve went down the path of paying out decent wages to Cardle , Harkins , Miller and McKinnon and at this moment we’re bottom of the Championship , I would rather see a few youngsters about the team with their enthusiasm and hopefully a will to better themselves.

I don’t think it could have been any worse than what I’ve watched all season.

16 minutes ago, Emsca said:

No sorry, that's just not true. That places an awful lot of faith in the ability of Scottish coaching staff to spot and nurture talent. Not something they are renowned for.

This blind assumption that if you are good enough you will come through regardless ,  just does not live up to scrutiny. Plenty of decent players have fallen through the nets due to lack of opportunity / blinkered scouting.

Your post is correct, the only way young players improve is to play at a higher level, you also need a strong BOD to tell the football department that’s the road we’re going down.

I'm all over the place with this ...

Now thinking that, in the first instance, we batter in the interim interdict to hold up the process (GIRU the manky majority of them). As a secondary action, fire it to Switzerland to the Court of arbitration for Sport - somewhere far away from any influence exerted by the ugly sisters and their cohorts.

Cost fir CAS could be within our means & surely Gerry could represent us?

How much does the arbitration cost ?

The ordinary procedure involves paying the relatively modest costs and fees of the arbitrators, calculated on the basis of a fixed scale of charges, plus a share of the costs of the CAS.

The disciplinary cases of an international nature ruled in appeal are free, except for an initial Court Office fee of CHF 1000.-.

4 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

I'm all over the place with this ...

Now thinking that, in the first instance, we batter in the interim interdict to hold up the process (GIRU the manky majority of them). As a secondary action, fire it to Switzerland to the Court of arbitration for Sport - somewhere far away from any influence exerted by the ugly sisters and their cohorts.

Cost fir CAS could be within our means & surely Gerry could represent us?

How much does the arbitration cost ?

The ordinary procedure involves paying the relatively modest costs and fees of the arbitrators, calculated on the basis of a fixed scale of charges, plus a share of the costs of the CAS.

The disciplinary cases of an international nature ruled in appeal are free, except for an initial Court Office fee of CHF 1000.-.

If we do nothing that’s exactly what will happen 

44 minutes ago, jaf said:

It’s not my plan mate.  I agree with your plan. 

I was just pointing out we are going to end up in a place some were objecting about, ie focussing on youth. (And no I am not arguing Barnsley owners would have been good thing compared to fan ownership either, absolutely not).  Apologies, I was being flippant. 

Think the difference is with the Barnsley template, it was their youngsters from Barnsley that were going to be foisted on us with no long term benefit to us , a lot of the kids within our Academy have been there for 6/7 years , makes sense to coach them for our benefit 

Admin if its possible please can you change my user name to Very Bitter Jag (my current user name was inspired by the last relegation vote)!

I'm just venting and ranting probably but -

With regards legal action there is no doubt in my mind that it would ultimately fail, however, it may be able to halt payments and or delay any resumption to the league until it fails, thus causing as much harm as possible in the interim (best case causing applicacble teams to go under!!!).

Also, making it clear that we are now well aware of where we stand with certain member clubs ang going forward on we will be as uncooperative and unwelcoming, that we we can contactually get away with, to any league representitives, associates and said member clubs...

As I said above I'm probably just venting and ranting and in reality this is either difficult /impossible to do without cutting our noses off...

28 minutes ago, Bitter Jag said:

Admin if its possible please can you change my user name to Very Bitter Jag (my current user name was inspired by the last relegation vote)!

I'm just venting and ranting probably but -

With regards legal action there is no doubt in my mind that it would ultimately fail, however, it may be able to halt payments and or delay any resumption to the league until it fails, thus causing as much harm as possible in the interim (best case causing applicacble teams to go under!!!).

Also, making it clear that we are now well aware of where we stand with certain member clubs ang going forward on we will be as uncooperative and unwelcoming, that we we can contactually get away with, to any league representitives, associates and said member clubs...

As I said above I'm probably just venting and ranting and in reality this is either difficult /impossible to do without cutting our noses off...

Currently we need the backing of the member clubs to support a reconstruction of the leagues. That is our only hope of avoiding relegation. Is it therefore a good idea to piss off these same member clubs by delaying the payments or slagging them off. 

I really don't know what is the best way forward.

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

Currently we need the backing of the member clubs to support a reconstruction of the leagues. That is our only hope of avoiding relegation. Is it therefore a good idea to piss off these same member clubs by delaying the payments or slagging them off. 

Not so sure that will make much difference anyway, it’ll be the same as usual all the Clubs voting out of self interest, which makes Dundee’s yes vote even more damming 

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The problem with this is that reconstruction is a toy given to budge & the Hamilton idiot to play with - they'll feather their own nest in the premiership & fek everything else - no guarantees that either they will get anything ratified or we'll benefit so unless it's in writing they can GTF 

Thursday 16th April, 2020 at 3:26pm

To be relegated at any time in a club’s life is, in a sporting context, an enormous setback. You accept your fate, because it was in your hands to change the outcome.

However, to be relegated in the arbitrary and unjust way we are currently experiencing, with no say in it, is heartbreaking for everyone at Partick Thistle, including staff and players and especially our fans.

We advised the SPFL on Tuesday of the joint counsel’s Opinion we had sought in relation to the validity – or not – of the Dundee FC vote cast last Friday.

To be clear, we did not threaten litigation, we sought clarity on the legal points raised.

We still regard this as a strong legal Opinion that raises significant issues around the whole process of the vote and related matters. Having taken further legal advice, we have been advised that we have the option to take this before a court. Instinctively, injustice demands reparation.

However, as a Club, the decision to relegate Thistle is first and foremost about our people and what this might mean for them. To pursue court action costs money and considerable time – so we have had to consider carefully whether both could be better spent on securing the Club’s future and protecting the livelihoods of those we employ. In deciding what our next steps should be, that was our first priority.

Thistle has always lived in the real world so we also looked at the bigger picture of the life-changing pandemic we find ourselves in. The resulting lockdown is challenging the very existence of some clubs. If we were to take this action to court, there is a risk that might stop the release of much-needed monies to those clubs on Friday.

That’s a step too far for us. Regardless of what’s been inflicted on Thistle, we can’t be responsible for pushing even one club to the brink. It would be hypocritical of us to have espoused “do no harm” as a reason why we shouldn’t be relegated and then do exactly that.

Taking all of that into account, although we stand by the legal Opinion, the Board has agreed that we will not seek “further remedy” against the SPFL in order to overturn the Resolution. Although we remain at a loss to understand why a decision was taken – at a time when Governments are seeking to support jobs across sectors – that will cause significant damage to Thistle and others.

Instead, we will focus our efforts and monies on Thistle and look forward, not back. That includes making a positive contribution to the discussions on possible changes to the league structures.

We aren’t looking for sympathy, we don’t need it. We are a well-run, debt-free club with a proud history of rolling with the punches. We may be down but we are not out. When football returns, we will be here, ready to play, regardless of the league we are in.

To our fans, we hope you understand why we have reached this decision. No one should regard this as a sign of weakness – it shows our strength and resolution to get through this despite relegation being forced on us. We aren’t doing what’s easy but we are doing what is right for our Club, our people and for clubs across Scotland. We are grateful for your solid support and encouragement – and when next we meet at Firhill, it will be to start the fightback to right this wrong.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

What’s the point of the Academy then ? , we’ve got youngsters within the system who’ve got a chance Billy Owens , Andy Rodden , Dean Watson. Bradley Renfrew but they’re not been given a chance to play football with no u 20s League.

Lets go with your plan and get Harkins back from Stenny on a 2 year deal on 2k a week .

On our limited budget what kind of players do you think we’ll get for approximately £300 per week .

The Academy standard is woefully bad with not one single player good enough that’s complete fact , the standard at reserve and Glasgow cup was the poorest I’ve seen in 46 years of following anything in a red and yellow jersey 

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

I think the announcement is absolutely right. And I don't know if you'd be calling it shitebaggery if your job depended on it.

So you think they’re right just to roll over and accept one of the most unjust decisions in recent times? Really?

7 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

The Academy standard is woefully bad with not one single player good enough that’s complete fact , the standard at reserve and Glasgow cup was the poorest I’ve seen in 46 years of following anything in a red and yellow jersey 

You’ve talking nonsense, we beat Celtic 2 nil , drew with Rangers  1 each , beat Clyde 9 -1 , albeit there was some experienced pros within these games , genuine question were you at any of these  matches ?