What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

2 minutes ago, AlgarveJag said:

...now, on to reconstruction.

Budge worries me when she talks in her statement of a "temporary" solution and "2 abnormal" seasons...  Watch this space

The only solution that “works” for Hearts is a 14 team top league for 20/21.  I think by temporary that means reverting to 12 teams for 21/22, so 3 down at end of 20/21.  

Totally agree with the Thistle statement. We have totally been backed into a corner and because we are a good decent club we have decided that we dont want to put anybodys livelihoods at risk ( this includes non-playing staff) - which is what would have happened due to the situation the SPFL have created if we took legal action. We have EVERY RIGHT to do so. Its not about having 'baws'- we were put in an impossible position and the fact we are a good decent club means we couldn't go down the legal route. Proud to be a Thistle fan and lets hope we start getting the credit we deserve for this- cause as it stands we have come out of this worse thsn anyone else.

What I don't understand is why they sought legal opinion in the first place, if they were not prepared act on an opinion that found in the Club's favour.

I can only assume that they don't want to alienate other clubs by delaying their place money through the legal process.  That would not work in the Club's interest when votes are cast on league re-construction.  As someone has pointed out, even if our challenge had been successful, it would have altered nothing as a new vote would have given the same result.  The mistake was in seeking an opinion in the first instance.

Ann Budge's statement looks genuine to me, and that is our best hope of avoiding the drop.

Totally agree with the Thistle statement. We have totally been backed into a corner and because we are a good decent club we have decided that we dont want to put anybodys livelihoods at risk ( this includes non-playing staff) - which is what would have happened due to the situation the SPFL have created if we took legal action. We have EVERY RIGHT to do so. Its not about having 'baws'- we were put in an impossible position and the fact we are a good decent club means we couldn't go down the legal route. Proud to be a Thistle fan and lets hope we start getting the credit we deserve for this- cause as it stands we have come out of this worse thsn anyone else.

out of likes, but well said.

Edited by JAGSMAN1968
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Point 3 ? Are you for real, our club has just rolled over and accepted being shafted for a 2nd time with relegation and you want fans to fund a spineless board , geez peace your crackpot 

No need to get personal! 

In respect of point 3 you may well be surprised to know this was not my idea but it is one I support as it has been suggested by a number of posters on this thread already. 

Think of it as an investment for the future. Didn't we help Hearts a few years ago when they were in dire financial trouble by letting them keep the gate money from their fans when they visited Firhill so that they could pay players wages! 

Jump forward to today  and ask yourself - who is in there batting for us - Budge of Hearts! 

Don't forget we are all jags and all in this together so if my view differs from yours fine. Still no need for personal slanging - just tell me you disagree and I'll respect that. 

Cheers. 

13 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Point 3 ? Are you for real, our club has just rolled over and accepted being shafted for a 2nd time with relegation and you want fans to fund a spineless board , geez peace your crackpot 

If you cant say anything constructive please please come of the forum while you're withdrawing your support.  We wont miss you.

• Like 1

I see the Raith Rovers chairman saying it wasnt about the monies due more about the planning for next season.

Other clubs Forfar and Stranraer have also said the money due aint that much.

So why are the media pushing its all about the release of money is it maybe because its the bigger clubs who are more in need of it. The whole thing is corrupt. 

45 minutes ago, allyo said:

I think the announcement is absolutely right. And I don't know if you'd be calling it shitebaggery if your job depended on it.

Of course he wouldn’t, he’d be screaming for the club to keep him employed on full pay.

Its a simple and obvious statement to make , i.e. We don’t have the money to make a legal challenge

6 minutes ago, Jag36 said:

What about the livelihoods of our own staff , is that not worth fighting for , remember this is not the first time the SPFL have done this to us , surely you’ve got to stand up for yourselves at some point 

I've largely kept out of this till now. However, I think that the club's approach is largely the right one.

Firstly, while we like acting as if somehow it's personal, it's not. Had we beaten Queens and gone into the lockdown in 9th, I suspect we would have voted for the motion. I also suspect that many spitting feathers now would have agreed that it was the pragmatic approach, and that we shouldn't be voting for the "common good" when our position in the Championship was on the line and could be secured by a simple vote. Most clubs who voted yes are living hand-to-mouth and are barely surviving anyway. To be honest, I don't blame the likes of Albion Rovers or Montrose for wanting to do their best to ensure that their clubs have a future.

My first reaction was, like most, lets cause as much trouble as we can and throw a bomb under the rest of them. But what will this actually achieve, other than possibly put a few small clubs out of business (who have essentially been held to ransom) with the knock on effect of putting (blameless) people out of work at a time when there is precious little other work?

Of course, the SPFL board has acted reprehensibly. And I don't see myself ever going to Dens for as long as I live.

Maybe we will get restructuring (though I'm not too confident). But, whatever league we're in, I think we're best keeping our funds to try and get out of it (upwards!), rather than spaff it on lawyers.

I'll renew my season ticket.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
11th to 9th: Only a 10 team league of course!
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Why pay for initial legal advice (which wouldn’t be cheap) from two lawyers, then not follow it through because it will cost the same clubs that voted to shaft us financially money?

Unless the club have been told we won’t be relegated we have been shown to be toothless again.

Its not lawyers, its counsels opinion - one senior counsel, one junior counsel

9 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Why pay for initial legal advice (which wouldn’t be cheap) from two lawyers, then not follow it through because it will cost the same clubs that voted to shaft us financially money?

Unless the club have been told we won’t be relegated we have been shown to be toothless again.

Did we pay for initial advice? I don’t think so

8 minutes ago, Whitelees jag said:

I see the Raith Rovers chairman saying it wasnt about the monies due more about the planning for next season.

Other clubs Forfar and Stranraer have also said the money due aint that much.

So why are the media pushing its all about the release of money is it maybe because its the bigger clubs who are more in need of it. The whole thing is corrupt. 

Says the Raith Rovers chairman whose team were only 1 point ahead of Falkirk 

6 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I know I will be criticised but I think this is an excellent statement. I have said I would like nothing better than to stuff these so-so's in court. But this is a short term emotional response that we know from previous experience will not win.  A legal response is the easy course of action and whether or not we end up in the Championship or League 1 will make it very difficult for Budge to support us by winning others over to her argument that there are wrongs that need to be corrected. 

This statement, which I do think is the difficult but strong course of action, accepts we will face challenges but focuses our efforts on the football field and on the longer term. Also by not taking action that could put clubs out of business by denying them much needed cash we are showing them up by demonstrating we are not doing what they have done and that we are morally and ethically better! 

I think the statement gives Budge a lot to work with and unlike Dundee, Raith, Forfar,or the SPFL Board puts us on the high moral ground. 

A lot of hogwash many on here will say and I understand that view! However all we need to do is put a winning team on the park and then you will see the benefits of the club's statement and chosen course of action. 

In spite of my arguments above I do feel we should do something to demonstrate our disgust at the manner in which we have been treated.

1. Attend Home matches only (exceptions being other no voters) 

2. Stop running buses to away games and ask fans who travel by other means not do do so. 

3. Donate gate money that would have been spent attending away games to PTFC and to any other No club who are having Cash problems. 

4. When Yes clubs and Directors come to Firhill - give them hell, eg "Nelms is a????" chant! Also write to Club ask them to offer minimum courtesy etc! We can call it cost cutting! 

Have I missed anything. 

Very sorry for length of post!! 

All my instincts say take legal action, as I think a  judicial review of the process used by SPFL might well succeed.   However,   it would be a hollow victory as they'd simply re-run the process and get the result Celtic want - again !   

The vengeful part of me sincerely hopes that some of the clubs who have shafted us go to the wall, but I think it's important that we are not seen to have caused any club to fail by taking legal action and stopping end of season payments.   It's no part of what we're about to cause ordinary workers in Dumfries, Stirling,  Alloa  etc to lose their jobs !

It's clear that football isn't going to be back to 'business as usual' until there is a universally available vaccine, so deprived of gate revenues, some clubs will inevitably go bust next season - whenever it starts and whatever league we end up playing in.    I hope some of them meet the fate they richly deserve, and I will personally not contribute a single penny to their income for next season.

For me, it's important that we focus all our efforts on helping PTFC survive, and I'm with exiledjag on his suggestions.  We need to use the 'red and yellow pound' to protect our own club so, attend home games, boycott away games to Yes voting clubs and give the money to PTFC, support ICT, Falkirk, East Fife and Stranraer where we can, and offer minimal courtesy and hospitality to the Boards of visiting yes clubs.

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

What about the livelihoods of our own staff , is that not worth fighting for , remember this is not the first time the SPFL have done this to us , surely you’ve got to stand up for yourselves at some point 

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Don't disagree with you there. Would imagine the chances of winning a legal battle, its cost, and financial impact of relegation have all been weighed up too. Dont get me wrong im not happy about this but we have totally been put in an impossible position. Seems like all the other clubs that were up for fighting this too have disappeared off the radar

1. Take legal action, hold up the payments to all the clubs, alienate them and maybe sink any chance of reconstruction in our favour, cost us money we can’t afford and likely fail and end up in a lower division.... ? 

2. Or hope for favourable league reconstruction and keep our cash. Hearts have indicated a willingness to assist. 

3. Worst case no favourable reconstruction. Still before off than 1.

Id gamble on 2.

12 minutes ago, Jag36 said:

Don't disagree with you there. Would imagine the chances of winning a legal battle, its cost, and financial impact of relegation have all been weighed up too. Dont get me wrong im not happy about this but we have totally been put in an impossible position. Seems like all the other clubs that were up for fighting this too have disappeared off the radar

...absolutely nothing from Rangers - all smoke and mirrors to appease their masses.  Photoshopped images of fake whatsApp messages and talk of smoking guns and whistleblowers.  They want Champions League not Europa so we won't be hearing from them anytime soon.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, we carry on and do what's best for Partick Thistle Football and I'm delighted that we continue to show outstanding sporting integrity and act as a Partick Thistle Family Club. 

Edited by AlgarveJag
fingers even slower than a very slow brain