What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

2 minutes ago, Big Col said:

An outstanding example of why we will always be put over a barrel by anyone who cares to do so. 

I get it.  but I'd rather be realistic and honest rather than bitter, twisted and spend a load of money that we don't have fighting a battle that we can't win in a pit full of vipers - if that's the choice, pass me the barrel..

• Like 2

All my instincts say take legal action, as I think a  judicial review of the process used by SPFL might well succeed.   However,   it would be a hollow victory as they'd simply re-run the process and get the result Celtic want - again !   

The vengeful part of me sincerely hopes that some of the clubs who have shafted us go to the wall, but I think it's important that we are not seen to have caused any club to fail by taking legal action and stopping end of season payments.   It's no part of what we're about to cause ordinary workers in Dumfries, Stirling,  Alloa  etc to lose their jobs !

It's clear that football isn't going to be back to 'business as usual' until there is a universally available vaccine, so deprived of gate revenues, some clubs will inevitably go bust next season - whenever it starts and whatever league we end up playing in.    I hope some of them meet the fate they richly deserve, and I will personally not contribute a single penny to their income for next season.

For me, it's important that we focus all our efforts on helping PTFC survive, and I'm with exiledjag on his suggestions.  We need to use the 'red and yellow pound' to protect our own club so, attend home games, boycott away games to Yes voting clubs and give the money to PTFC, support ICT, Falkirk, East Fife and Stranraer where we can, and offer minimal courtesy and hospitality to the Boards of visiting Yes clubs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jaf said:

Its not lawyers, its counsels opinion - one senior counsel, one junior counsel

Which won’t be cheap. They will both have had to read the 160 page document plus the SPFL articles to come up with that opinion.

What does a counsel charge these days?  I currently pay over a grand an hour (yes that’s Norwegian prices) and double that for a basic letter

16 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

1. Take legal action, hold up the payments to all the clubs, alienate them and maybe sink any chance of reconstruction in our favour, cost us money we can’t afford and likely fail and end up in a lower division.... ? 

2. Or hope for favourable league reconstruction and keep our cash. Hearts have indicated a willingness to assist. 

3. Worst case no favourable reconstruction. Still before off than 1.

Id gamble on 2.

My first thoughts as well on reading the club statement.

Out interests appear to coincide with those of Hearts and Rangers who have more power to wield than our solo legal attempt.

Rangers will push for some null and void. Hearts for reconstruction. Both could have saved Thistle from relegation before our court case ends up on any other lawyer's desk.

4 minutes ago, AirdrieJag said:

All my instincts say take legal action, as I think a  judicial review of the process used by SPFL might well succeed.   However,   it would be a hollow victory as they'd simply re-run the process and get the result Celtic want - again !   

The vengeful part of me sincerely hopes that some of the clubs who have shafted us go to the wall, but I think it's important that we are not seen to have caused any club to fail by taking legal action and stopping end of season payments.   It's no part of what we're about to cause ordinary workers in Dumfries, Stirling,  Alloa  etc to lose their jobs !

It's clear that football isn't going to be back to 'business as usual' until there is a universally available vaccine, so deprived of gate revenues, some clubs will inevitably go bust next season - whenever it starts and whatever league we end up playing in.    I hope some of them meet the fate they richly deserve, and I will personally not contribute a single penny to their income for next season.

For me, it's important that we focus all our efforts on helping PTFC survive, and I'm with exiledjag on his suggestions.  We need to use the 'red and yellow pound' to protect our own club so, attend home games, boycott away games to Yes voting clubs and give the money to PTFC, support ICT, Falkirk, East Fife and Stranraer where we can, and offer minimal courtesy and hospitality to the Boards of visiting Yes clubs.

A  judicial review would benefit the whole of the Scottish game with the exception of a few stakeholders who this could expose.

As for not being seen to be responsible for hardships at other clubs, we helped Dunfermline when they were going to the wall, they shafted us. What about our own players, backroom staff and office workers who’s jobs are likely at risk with us going down, in fact the future of our club is at risk now.

Here is the problem. 

No-one really cares outside of Scotland about Scottish football. Looking around, the only mention of the current events that you might see is in The Guardian. Because it attaches the name Steven Gerrard to the story.

And the reason for this irrelevance  is simple

Scottish football is built on hate.

Celtic hate Rangers. Rangers hate Celtic. Most other "football  supporters" hate the Old Firm. Hearts hate Hibs. The feeling is very mutual. And all those fine folk from Edinburgh hate Wee Gees. Dundee hate Dundee Utd. And it seems that Dundee Utd actually hate each other. People from the City of Discovery regard their neighbours in Perth with utter contempt. Aberdeen hate everyone who is poorer than they are.  I could go on. Morton - St Mirren, Hamilton -  Motherwell, Killie - Ayr - Queen of the South. And who can explain the mystery of Fife?

And on a national level we, allegedly, all hate England.

It is poisonous and like everything when you are addicted to poison it will reduce you and then it will kill you.

And when did hate ever help us overcome adversity?

Did Manchester Utd rely on hate to rebuild from Munich? Did the community of Liverpool F.C. recover from  Hillsborough through hate?

So I'm not going with all this Get the Board. / Sack the team. / Penalise every other footballing organisation in the country because I am angry.

Because, in the words of the Twelfth  Doctor "Hate is always foolish. Love is always wise."

I love my team. I reject all the hate and fear that created  this current situation.

Today I bought my season ticket.

Onwards

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, MMCF said:

Here is the problem. 

No-one really cares outside of Scotland about Scottish football. Looking around, the only mention of the current events that you might see is in The Guardian. Because it attaches the name Steven Gerrard to the story.

Celtic hate Rangers. Rangers hate Celtic. Most other "football  supporters" hate the Old Firm. Hearts hate Hibs. The feeling is very mutual. And all those fine folk from Edinburgh hate Wee Gees. Dundee hate Dundee Utd. And it seems that Dundee Utd actually hate each other. People from the City of Discovery regard their neighbours in Perth with utter contempt. Aberdeen hate everyone who is poorer than they are.  I could go on. Morton - St Mirren, Hamilton -  Motherwell, Killie - Ayr - Queen of the South. And who can explain the mystery of Fife?

It is poisonous and like everything when you are addicted to poison it will reduce you and then it will kill you.

Did Manchester Utd rely on hate to rebuild from Munich? Did the community of Liverpool F.C. recover from  Hillsborough through hate?

So I'm not going with all this Get the Board. / Sack the team. / Penalise every other footballing organisation in the country because I am angry.

Because, in the words of the Twelfth  Doctor "Hate is always foolish. Love is always wise."

I love my team. I reject all the hate and fear that created  this current situation.

Onwards

Out of likes - THIS!

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

4 minutes ago, MMCF said:

Here is the problem. 

Onwards

Reasonable point up until the bit in bold. All football leagues have a large element of hate. Liverpool hate Man Utd, Man Utd hate Liverpool, all the other clubs hates Man Utd. At a national level England hate the Germans and you coudl point to the same patterns in other leagues.

However in this country we have 2 large clubs that all others must rotate around. In England Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man City are all of equal standing so their leagues aren't organised for the benefit of 2 clubs they are orgainsed for a wider need.

Our 2 largest clubs are fed from centuries of religous hatred and violence that in any other walk of life wouldn't be tolerated. It influences all decision making in Scottish football.

This all creates a league that has an unhealthy desire for self interest and will see clubs working to put each other out of business. The sooner we realise thats the nature of the beast and we can't change it the better. The best way we can show we've learned a lesson is no more away support at games. Look after number 1 it is the SPFL way.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MMCF said:

Here is the problem. 

Onwards

Powerful words MMCF. I don’t like Hate in football, but I’m fair scunnered at what has happened to our Club. 

• Like 1

Usual gutless stuff from Thistle. Low and Britton are completely incompetent in a long line of incompetents. It won't be a boycott as such from me just sheer apathy means I won't bother my arse that much.  I've missed loads of games the last two three years as it is. 

I love the line gloating about being debt free. Won't be for long with the top six cash a distant memory and with pub league revenue. 

This league will be a slog. There's no enthusiasm for me for it. I've seen it all before. I don't think as a club we have the dig or the guts to scrap our way out of it immediately.

Edited by Hankey

1 hour ago, SteppsJag said:

Agree fully with this. Don’t think going down the legal route would benefit us in any way and would probably  be detrimental to others in a worse position than we are financially. I’m confident some form of reconstruction will be forthcoming after the debacle of last week and that should mean no one loses out substantially. I just hope that once it’s all sorted out that there is still an appetite to make wholesale changes to the way the SPFL is run because it’s an utter shambles at present.

I agree not going down the legal route is, on balance, probably the right decision, much as it sticks in the craw. I don't give a shit about other Clubs, that should not come into our thinking.

Once it is "all sorted out", things will continue as before- the Clubs in the SPFL doing all they can to preserve their collective positions in that League - restricting the chances of relegation  and making promotion thereto as difficult as possible. You do not get change for asking politely for it. Things will only change if and when the status quo is threatened or change are is imposed on the SPFL by UEFA. 

46 minutes ago, MMCF said:

Here is the problem. 

Onwards

This post would be remarkable in most fan forums , however is entirely typical of many Thistle supporters.  All we need is Michael Jackson singing “We Are The World” in the background, and we truly would be in a Jaggy Heaven , as we plummet head first  to the First Division. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I will be purchasing my first ever season ticket, joining the centenary fund (waiting on club to get back to me on this) & donating gate money for away matches. Will do this for as long as I am financially able! I am determined we will come back and beat this injustice!

Good on you.

Am joining the Centenary fund .

1 hour ago, MMCF said:

Here is the problem. 

Onwards

Nothing sums up Thistle more than wanting the moral high ground self righteous cup rather than the actual cup or a higher league of football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hankey said:

Nothing sums up Thistle more than wanting the moral high ground self righteous cup rather than the actual cup or a higher league of football.

I think many of us will be just hoping we've still got a club to support by this time next year.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

A  judicial review would benefit the whole of the Scottish game with the exception of a few stakeholders who this could expose.

As for not being seen to be responsible for hardships at other clubs, we helped Dunfermline when they were going to the wall, they shafted us. What about our own players, backroom staff and office workers who’s jobs are likely at risk with us going down, in fact the future of our club is at risk now.

All fair points, but we agree that legal action doesn't, of itself, protect our staff, players and suppliers, so there's no easy solution to this. 

It's true  that clubs we've supported in the past have shafted us, but screwing their workers doesn't do anything to help us, or our people.   Surely it's about how we now use our collective resources to look after our club and our people.   

That's why I'll

*  buy my season ticket

* contribute to the Centenary Fund

*  subscribe to Jagzone (even though the quality is shite)

*  give what I can to Help the Jags

*  not give a penny to clubs who have    participated in this stitch up.

I think it’s very easy for us to sit here and say thistle sh@t it and we rolled over etc but, although I’m no legal expert, this type of legal fight would always be doomed to fail all the while wasting time and money we don’t have. I’d much rather we safe guarded jobs and used any funds to spend on getting a successful team on the pitch. I agree with and respect the statement that was made. It wouldn’t sit well with me if my club had a hand in normal people losing livelihoods especially in today’s world.  As hard as this farce is to digest I find the injustice has reignited my determination and support for the team which I’ll admit has dwindled ever so slightly these last two or so years. Thistle need all hands on deck from here on in to get it right up just about everyone we’re going to face when we get back to playing. I’m fully backing away day boycotts and donating the money I’d spend to thistle. Also, first thing tomorrow I’ll be renewing my season ticket. 

Edited by lewcal
  • Like 1

Legal challenge could,  as I see it, only have resulted in a re-run of the vote. In the end though, there's a reason why the proposal passed. It took a negative situation and it lumped all the burden on to a small number of clubs.  Its weakness in terms of fairness was its strength in terms of votes. That's completely wrong but it's not corrupt.

I see no reason why a second vote would be any different, especially having pissed off the entire league.

If Thistle have any hope of avoiding relegation (who knows) then it will only be through positive engagement with other clubs. It might not work, but I think it's the only chance.

If we just wanted to wreck others out of spite and achieve nothing for ourselves then yes, legal action would probably have been the way to go.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1